British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Is this too harsh, will I get sued?

I'm right up to the decimal section of CCGB2005 now, so not long to go. As a little intro to my decimal section I have started with the following text:

Although decimal British coinage is (or at least will be) historically just as important as pre-decimal British coinage, the fact that none of it in circulation is older than 1971 sometimes leads to it being ignored completely by collectors.

Another difference with decimal coinage compared to the pre-decimal type is that from about the 80’s the Royal Mint has seen fit to issue in my opinion, far too many commemorative coins and sets commemorating obscure ‘events’. From the 50th Anniversary of the NHS, the Victorian Era Anniversary, the British Libraries 150th Anniversary etc etc (Noteworthy events, but do they all need their very own coin?). Hardly a year goes past without a commemorative Crown of some description being issued. Many of these coins are struck in different metals to different qualities, and even packed in differing packaging! Some of the designs are interesting (some are not!). The Royal Mint is not only the producer of British (and other) coinage, but it’s also a business, and producing wonderfully packaged coins every year and selling them directly to collectors is a big part of it’s business.

With the above in mind, the decimal section will not show illustrations of every coin type and will perhaps be a little briefer than the pre-decimal section. Like the pre-decimal section it will be organised in rising order of face value.

So, is that too harsh on the Old Royal Mint, anything there you think I could be sued over?? Despite that fact it's true. (and if they did sue me, in 50 years they may issue a 50th Anniversary of suing Chris Perkins coin!!)

I thinked you picked the best coins out of the commemorative circs! Talk about the ghastly 2003 Coronation anniversary or the Prince's Trust one. I don't think they can sue you, after all, you're just voicing your opinion.. If you had said that the Master of the Mint was a dwarf with no taste, then you would be sued!

Is he?

Hypothetically.

Yes, i knew you were joking, so was I.

Out of all the collectors of British coinage i am sure only a few would disagree with you...i agree, and i doubt that you could get sued from it :)

Yes, i knew you were joking, so was I.

I think my sarcasm detector needs recalibrating

Mr Marles said that he prefered to put the issue prices of the modern proof sets, instead of the realistic and far lower market values, just to keep the Mint happy.

I'm going to put the real market values of the modern proof sets, because I don't like the way they take advantage of their monopoly like position and take advantage of young and novice collectors who actually think they're getting value for money.

It's what all coin dealers think, but none seem to put it into writing.

Hi Chris,

I think if you avoid presenting the sentiment as a personal opinion then you would surely reduce the risk of anyone taking offence to the extent of suing you... just my opinion, not legal advice of course.

Maybe both points in this thread could be combined, something like

Note, many collectors of British coins feel that the recent commemorative issues by the Royal Mint, including all their variations in precious metals, striking quality and presentation packaging, are not especially collectable in their own right. As a consequence of the reduced demand the real market values shown in these listings are often less than the original issue price of the items.

Are you going to list all the variations?

My twopennorth -

No, I don't think what you've said is in anyway libellous, but I do think that wanton subjectivity is out of place in a reference work. It looks...well, unprofessional (and I speak as someone who does write professionally). Remember that reference works stay around for a long time, and subjectivity always comes back to haunt you.

I agree with Mint Mark. By all means mention the problems caused by the proliferation of commemoratives and the implications that has for any compiler of a works such as CC, but do so at a distance.

I also agree that the market value of mint sets is more important - and realistic - than the issue price. You can pick these things up for peanuts very easily (like I did yesterday :D )

G

Yes, you're both right, I'll change it. I just couldn't resist denouncing the bloody things and got carried away, but your right, I should remain neutral and just say it like it is!