British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Finally A 1911 Half Crown

Finally obtained a 1911 halfcrown after years of waiting for something decent and at a reasonable price to turn up. I have seen many over the years which look to be UNC on the reverse but the obverse is poor maybe wear or perhaps poorly minted with the top of the ear and side of the head flattened. The florins of that era with the lions on the top shield of the reverse not fully struck are a problem as well. During that time I have managed to acquire too UNC proof halfcrowns of that year.

Well done, I do like the early George V half crowns !!

You'll have to show us a pic.

George V coinage is always notoriously difficult due to the poor dies. Getting a very early strike is always the way too go

The 1911 proofs are supreme - far superior IMO in comparison to the currency strikes, than 1902 matt proofs are. That may be more to do with the currency strikes being much poorer, of course.

I brought one some months ago and paid unc money for it. I agree that the 1911 strike is relative poor compared to the 1902.

post-7623-0-96527700-1399920418_thumb.jp

post-7623-0-51631600-1399920449_thumb.jp

I brought one some months ago and paid unc money for it. I agree that the 1911 strike is relative poor compared to the 1902.

It's a nice coin. The only drawbacks I can see are a slight flattening starting on the hair and top of the ear.

It's a nice coin. The only drawbacks I can see are a slight flattening starting on the hair and top of the ear.

Thanks Peck. The flattening on the top of ear is rather more obvious to me than that on the hair.

One of the posts in this topic asked for a picture.

post-8305-0-62867800-1400650090_thumb.jp

PS I would rather had a non PGC but you cannot have everything and the price was ok.

Nice coin John.

What does 'PGC' mean ?

I think it's some sort of amalgamation of PCGS and CGS? :P

oh ok, well that's fixable. :D

PGC my abbreviation for a professionally graded coin. Perhaps I should have said slabbed.

PGC my abbreviation for a professionally graded coin. Perhaps I should have said slabbed.

Or S for shite short :D

• Like 1

Nice coin.