British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bell

1862 Half Sovereign

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum so not sure if I am posting in the correct place. I found this coin at the weekend in Cumbria with my Euro Ace. My Spink book indicates it is quite rare. Is this true?

many thanks

Justin

post-8353-0-95305100-1399668280_thumb.jp

post-8353-0-88394700-1399668283_thumb.jp

Bullion value in that grade I think, so £210-£230? It's not a rare date, do you think it's a rare variety?

Bullion value in that grade I think, so £210-£230? It's not a rare date, do you think it's a rare variety?

Spink book says it is

Is it not a scarce date?

The fine price in Spink is £750 compared to £175 for others.

The bullion price Paulus has quoted leads me to believe he has mistaken it for the full Sov

• Like 1

Ah, yes, hadn't read the thread title properly, sorry!

Welcome Justin. I hope you don't mind but I've deleted your duplicate post as all the answers seem to be coming here!

Morning

yes it is very rare rated as R6 (4 - 6 known) in Michael Marsh's book "The Gold Half Sovereign". Of course this is a slightly dated referance book however it is an extremely rare coin - and one i would certainly buy if it was for sale <_<

As would I. The surviving number is likely more in the 25 range however. Very nice find, I really must say!

Please do NOT scrub on it any more, but you likely could start something of a bidding war right here; a trip to Baldwin or Spink IMO would not yield a very high offer...

Edited by VickySilver

My camera does not take brilliant pictures. It makes it look much more yellow than it actually is. I have tried to take some better ones. You will see it still has some soil inbetween the letters. I will refrain from any more cleaning. I am still not sure what I will do with the coin at the moment. I am still in shock!

justinpost-8353-0-29746400-1399759569_thumb.jppost-8353-0-66967700-1399759638_thumb.jp

I've never found gold.

But to get a key date.....Can you PM me some lottery nrs.

aaahhh - i've just woken up.

A Euro-Ace is a metal detector. I did wonder how Vicky knew it was Justin who cleaned it.

Okay, carry on.

I have absolutely no idea if it is for sale at the moment..... At some point it will be, but for now I want to enjoy being able to look at it. I'm sure you know what I mean... It is such a nice coin. I would love to know the history behind it though. Why were so few made?

justin

Hi guys, I have decided to sell the coin. Still trying to find the best way to do this. I simply do not know its value though. I have had a couple of values ranging from £200 - £1700 from coin dealers.

Just got an email from chards saying they would give me £87 for it. There is a bit of a range in prices!

Justin

Edited by Bell

From your pics it doesn't look any better than Fine to me, which Spink (2013) lists at £750 - I would take the £1700 and run if I were you!

I agree, 1700 a very good price. At 1200, I'd be a buyer.

Chards, what a set of w*****s with that estimation

• Like 1

Looks like whoever was answering enquires at Chards has just assumed its a boring date and quoted bullion.

• Like 1

There are a couple on ebay.

£1500 and over £2000.The £1500 is in worse condition than Justin's.

Not sure if they are selling "like hotcakes" at those prices though...LOL. Full retail at 1500 is quite fair, 1700 very nice for this coin IMO.

Anyone like to quote a grade .

i would like to surgest NF/Fine although photo ain't the best.

you should get enought to pay for a brand new detector and upgrade it as well , super find - you will be pushed to get a better one

DNW had a "No Sale" of a similar coin just three days ago, think I'll stick to my estimate.

Poor sod who lost the coin in the first place.

Must have been a bit of money back then.

Hopefully not rolling home drunk on pay day. What a beating he would have got from the missus.