British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I think the thing that gives away the value changes since then most is that Registered Post was only 3/6 - 17.5p in modern money!

I think the other coin that must have been very much top whack back then was the 1904 Half Crown for £140. Even in EF that seems a lot and not far off what you would pay for one now.

Using an inflation calculator that £140 in 1969 would be £2190 today.

The 1953 plastic sets you could probably get for the prices asked then, in absolute terms today. After inflation £14 in 1969 would be £219 !!!  

Late 60's coin boom.

I suppose the other factor which pushed up prices was sheer availability. No internet then, which made collecting more difficult.    

• Like 2

Lack of internet didn't stop people piling into 'investments'. People were buying Churchill crowns and later things by the bucket load as well as paying OTT for modern tat, just as people are avidly purchasing just about every 50p, £1 and £2 coin you can throw at them today. If proof was ever needed, I bought about £400 of scrap silver last night, all skimmed from circulation post-war. There was however, a down-side. I also had to take £40 face of 5/- and 25p crowns. :( They were a good investment - not.

22 minutes ago, Rob said:

Lack of internet didn't stop people piling into 'investments'. People were buying Churchill crowns and later things by the bucket load as well as paying OTT for modern tat, just as people are avidly purchasing just about every 50p, £1 and £2 coin you can throw at them today. If proof was ever needed, I bought about £400 of scrap silver last night, all skimmed from circulation post-war. There was however, a down-side. I also had to take £40 face of 5/- and 25p crowns. :( They were a good investment - not.

People were paying for "rolls" of 1967 pennies etc. Crazy when you think about it now. 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

People were paying for "rolls" of 1967 pennies etc. Crazy when you think about it now.

I have still got a roll any takers :o:D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Apart, that is, I guess from the 1953 plastic set at £14 and the "de luxe" specimen set at £15 !

You'd be annoyed now if you paid that for those in 1969. Look what else cost a similar amount then and compare to values now!!

1743 VF shilling for me, I think!  Did anyone really pay those sums for plastic sets in 1969 ?

And the 1951 Crown at £4/10 .. not far off what you'd pay for one now, and at least £40 in today's money (probably a lot more).

1903 florin not so much of a bargain back then neither.