British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

sweep

Edward Vii Half Crown/florin

I am looking for a coin that has the Edward vii head on as I don't have one, but I like the silver (92%) ones.

Does anyone know where I can get one in EF or near bouts for quite cheaply?

I don't know what to say price wise as I have no idea, around about £30?

Thanks

Ed VII Half-crowns get expensive depending on the dates and in my opinion the florins are one of the better designs anywho..

Having said that... getting one in EF might cost you a bit more than £30.

If you want a nice detail Eddy silver coin without breaking the bank, I'd suggest looking at a sixpence/threepence. HOWEVER...the H/C and florins are totally worth the money if you're willing to spend it.

^_^

Thanks, what about the crown? I am guessing that is much more but I like the dragon design.

Do you know where I can get crowns?

Or on second thoughts do you think I should get the 1951 crown for the dragon design, but a florin for his head?

The most important question is..do you think you should get the 1951 for the dragon?

It's what you like Sweep, if you think that's best then go for it! :)

And I'd trawl through eBay, look on auction sites, check dealer's sites etc.

Try This Link for a nice long list of various dealer's websites, you'll find some good buys if you search hard enough.

I think ideally I would like 1902 crown ticks 3 boxes: silver, Edward and dragon design.

EF Is marked at £70 which I guess I could spend but on ebay EF goes for £160+!

If any other member is willing to sell a 1902 half crown in EF then I will buy!

Thanks

Where are you getting the price guide of £70 in EF from?

It is £240 in EF in my Spink 2013. You are probably looking at at least £140 for a problem-free EF 1902 Crown (regular issue) - be aware that this issue is also available in matt proof.

Oh well I will have to save up.

Links to any websites which do them at a reasonable price will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paulus

Oh well I will have to save up.

Links to any websites which do them at a reasonable price will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paulus

Your cheapest bet for affordable Ed VII large silver is 1902 - either halfcrown or florin.

I think Sweep wants a George slaying the dragon reverse, in silver, and ideally Eddie 7! Could get all 3 much cheaper as 3 separate coins! :)

Where are you getting the price guide of £70 in EF from?

It is £240 in EF in my Spink 2013. You are probably looking at at least £140 for a problem-free EF 1902 Crown (regular issue) - be aware that this issue is also available in matt proof.

I think a problem free EF is up at £180, they seem to be popular just now.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am sure I will find one eventually. Well I hope!

Or I will get a 1902 florin and a 1951 crown.

The 51 Crown isn't silver.

A nice coin all the same.

Buy one which is in its presentation box.

They are great value at a few £'s.

The important bit about the EDV11 florin is getting a good strong date.

Looks like a problem-free EF or GEF to me, good luck with the bidding :)

Personally i'd be put off with the discolouring across Eddies cheek and the wear to the hair just below the ear. Personally i do like the 1902 Crown, i'm still waiting on an UNC or Matte proof to come along at the same time as i have spare £££££s although Matte proof would be better for me, it would sit alongside my halfcrown of the same date

Edited by azda

I was just looking today and I saw this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360927478914?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.I2649&autorefresh=true

Looks good, It doesn't look cleaned or dipped does it?

Thanks

Nope, that looks like a very nice example. I'd go for it, myself. Good luck.

Depends on what you want. The coin has wear on the bust and digs on the chin and still discoloured, i'd say EF, but some people are fussy when its their coins and not so fussy when its someone elses, you decide if its for you. I reckon about £150 region

If you're still after one Sweep, this one looks ok (at least at the current price):

link

Edited by Paulus

The other sold for £140, i was a tenner out

The other sold for £140, i was a tenner out

Yep, you were close Dave, I was urging it to close at £150 dead! For an auction, eBay can be very predictable I find - even for unusual items!

I thought the one I linked to tonight might have been slightly better, but the poor gold hue pics may have let it down

I think you may Be right about the Gold hue pics Paul, they did'nt portray it correctly. The other i did like but that streak on the OBV let it down

That's a very worthy coin but I think the auction will finish at over £200. The CGS valuation (for what it's worth) is £275. You will be aware it is slabbed, so you may or may not want to free it from its coffin if you win it, as is your preference!