British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bagerap

New Ebay Fee Structure

If you hadn't noticed, ebay's changing it's price structure for private sellers next Monday.

Probably the best thing is that their doing away with the "100 free auction only listings per month provided the start price is less than £1" option. So with a bit of luck that'll weed out a good percentage of the unsaleable grot that currently clogs up the pages.

A new flat fee insertion rate of £0.35 will also keep the s***e levels down too.

"Every month you’ll get to list up to 20 items in any category (excluding Motors) for free - these free listings can be in auction or fixed price format and can have any start price

· Every month you’ll get to schedule up to 20 of your listings for free - this means you choose when they go live

· Insertion fees after your first free 20 listings will be £0.35 per listing"

So in effect there could be a potential 80% fewer washers, road kill coins and Christmas cracker rejects appearing.

I hadn't noticed, but on the face of it, sounds good. The fundamental problem is that there is an awful lot of crap sitting in people's homes on which they are trying to get some sort of return. As long as buyers are there for the rubbish, it will be listed, even if the volume reduces. More intractable is the problem that everyone expects things for a quid, so it's unlikely to result in an uplift in prices for sellers. Plus the starting price will have to be upped to take account of the additional ebay fee which again will deter early bidding.

I still think eBay could maximise their returns by having two parallel sites - one where it is free to list which would accomodate the rubbish, only being charged if it sells, and the other where you pay a listing fee, but have a minimum starting price. The latter become a shop to all intents, but at least it will deter 99% or more of the junk, apart from those deluded souls who think they have a valuable piece of sh**e.

I just recently read that a friend of mine must have had stuff listed but as it did'nt sell she did'nt bother checking eBay for a couple of weeks. It turns out that ebay had relisted the items for her without her knowledge. She only found out when she got a bill for the fees

It's a pity they haven't updated their seller ratings to provide a more equitable playing field for both buyers and sellers.

Just looked at the wife's 'Seller's Dashboard' and see that she is in danger of not being compatible with the Global standards required. It doesn't help when one of the so-called defects is 'Item not received'. That was opened by a US buyer on the same day as he won and paid for the item. What are you supposed to do, when you couldn't even have delivered it in time using Concorde? He stil left positive feedback after it cleared US customs a month down the line, but didn't withdraw the item not received claim. Another was because someone was p'd off that they had to pay postage, then because he decided in the end to pay including postage objected to the BU coins he received. Sadly there is no seller protection against t**t buyers other than moving the items for sale up market - which might just happen (says he wishfully thinking).

Edited by Rob

I just recently read that a friend of mine must have had stuff listed but as it did'nt sell she did'nt bother checking eBay for a couple of weeks. It turns out that ebay had relisted the items for her without her knowledge. She only found out when she got a bill for the fees

eBay slipped a box (to be checked or unchecked) in the sales procedure that says "re-list item if unsold"...the box is always "checked"...you must un-check the box prior to listing your item, if you do not want it to be automatically re-listed.

It's a pity they haven't updated their seller ratings to provide a more equitable playing field for both buyers and sellers.

Just looked at the wife's 'Seller's Dashboard' and see that she is in danger of not being compatible with the Global standards required. It doesn't help when one of the so-called defects is 'Item not received'. That was opened by a US buyer on the same day as he won and paid for the item. What are you supposed to do, when you couldn't even have delivered it in time using Concorde? He stil left positive feedback after it cleared US customs a month down the line, but didn't withdraw the item not received claim. Another was because someone was p'd off that they had to pay postage, then because he decided in the end to pay including postage objected to the BU coins he received. Sadly there is no seller protection against t**t buyers other than moving the items for sale up market - which might just happen (says he wishfully thinking).

Rob, In a situation like you mention (coin was received, and positive feedback left for you), you should be able to call eBay and they will remove the "item not received" notation. I had a lady from England leave negative feedback, because she had to pay VAT fees, but when I called eBay, they removed the negative feedback, since VAT is the responsibility of the Buyer. You might give it a try, and call them.

Rob, In a situation like you mention (coin was received, and positive feedback left for you), you should be able to call eBay and they will remove the "item not received" notation. I had a lady from England leave negative feedback, because she had to pay VAT fees, but when I called eBay, they removed the negative feedback, since VAT is the responsibility of the Buyer. You might give it a try, and call them.

He opened the case because he didn't want to pay signed for postage. I just told him to reduce his maximum bid by the difference. I was happy with the reduced sale price because I explained my a**e was covered against him claiming the money back and getting the coin. US customs aren't the quickest out the blocks.

She could ask ebay, but trying to explain to someone from the Indian sub-continent I don't hold out much hope. Being a seller won't help our case.

I always offer the tracked & signed for option, but many buyers go for standard international post. One went astray in the US and buyer claimed non delivery and got a full refund. Usual story, I have proof of postage and an invoice offering a choice of delivery terms. Usual result, ebay gives refund but has yet to refund final value fee or paypal charges.

My ebay bill for April: £387.34

Ebay fees so far for May: £8.83, and that's the last they'll see of me for a little while.

I've done exactlythe same bagerap. They are getting nothing else like they were getting previously. I have a few bits i'm gonna list on German eBay and then am done until there is a level playing field

I wonder how many more are doing the same for the same reasons

Edited by azda

Trouble is the coin market is only a fraction of their business.It was and could again be a good market place for coins.

Sellers need more protection but to stop the crap sellers.I would like to see £1 listing fees.

I haven't sold since 2012 but have loads to sell again.

Where else can you shift coins under £100?

Anything over £15 goes recorded and £50 special delivery.

I won't give up on it yet.

I'm using ETSY. It's basically for craft sellers but there's a section for Vintage by which thaey mean anything over 20 years old.

Insertion fees are $0.60 for three months, final value fees 3.5%. It's clunky to use and has size restrictions of pictures. BUT, think about it. You can leave something up there for a year for $2.40 so why not use it as a showcase. Ideal price range for sellers is £30-70, although I've had one sale at over £200.00.

Ever the contrarian and in an effort to help the wife list items fee free, I opened an account a couple of days ago to start selling. Boo, hiss I hear you say. :o

It's absolute bollocks. Having got my 20 free listings lined up, I find I'm limited to 10 items or £650 in sales per month. :huh: Given the historical baggage with eBay and Paypoo, I'm not going to list a £650 item as a new seller in case they try to hold on to my money indefinitely, so it's going to be 99p items all the way as I do acknowledge Ebay being the ideal channel to offload shi*e. Given a typical succes rate of 5% of items listed, that means a sale every 2 months or 20 months at least to reach the minimum 'acceptable seller' level of 10 feedbacks. I don't think they are going to get rich quick off my efforts, and I don't think my wife is going to be too happy at the inroads I won't be making into the pile of 25000 coins looking for a home. My crystal ball suggests a bit of earache. :(:lol:

Joking aside, this new fee structure combined with the difficulty for new sellers to get established has to have a profound effect on the number of listings and the number of sellers. I can't help thinking they are going to have another go at tweaking the system in six months. I also think this will result long term in the repositioning of eBay as an online shop in competition with Amazon rather than an auction site. Established 'business' sellers have shops while occasional private sellers can list items. It won't be as good as Amazon where you can list a book and leave it indefinitely, but I can certainly see a parallel business model for the two companies.

Edited by Rob

I've done exactlythe same bagerap. They are getting nothing else like they were getting previously. I have a few bits i'm gonna list on German eBay and then am done until there is a level playing field

I wonder how many more are doing the same for the same reasons

Quite a lot I suspect. I just did some number crunching and compared to 10 years ago when I was averaging 450 feedbacks per year combined for both buying and selling, I find the period since they made accepting Paypal compulsory (from summer 2007) averages about 30 per year with no sales and so from purchases only. This past 12 months has seen 9 purchases (many other than coins), also reflecting the difficulty in finding anything worthwhile to bid on.

usualy because I buy the good stuff for myself.

what Can't be helping is all the constant messing about they do, the password thing meant they had to disable the following feed, people who use that miss out (and it sometimes doesnt work properly). and the fact they change everything about.

The newest message of joy from Paypal:

From 17th June, buyers are also getting increased protection; we're extending the dispute claim window from 45 days to 180 days after payment date.

Brilliant. So 179 days after receipt of a coin, you can file a claim that you didn't receive it? :o

The newest message of joy from Paypal:

From 17th June, buyers are also getting increased protection; we're extending the dispute claim window from 45 days to 180 days after payment date.

Whilst also announcing increased seller protection:

"Now even more of your sales can be protected against claims, unauthorised payments and chargebacks.

Protection applies whether your market is at home or abroad, giving you more confidence to expand your export business and start selling to overseas markets.
There’s no limit to the value of each transaction we’ll protect, and we’re currently the only major payments provider in the UK to offer this kind of seller protection at no additional charge."

Brilliant. So 179 days after receipt of a coin, you can file a claim that you didn't receive it? :o

Providing you've got proof of postage and/or the signature obtained upon delivery the only claim would be "Not as described" and I'm not sure how someone could claim it was 179 days before they noticed it wasn't as described without PayPal suspecting something fishy.

Providing you've got proof of postage and/or the signature obtained upon delivery the only claim would be "Not as described" and I'm not sure how someone could claim it was 179 days before they noticed it wasn't as described without PayPal suspecting something fishy.

The concept of retaining evidence for half a year would be mind boggling for the casual seller as opposed to any business which would keep receipts as a matter of course. So the question for them is how they store the evidence of delivery. Does the PO keep signatures for 6 months or is it less?

As to the 180 day ruling, Paypal would adopt the same attitude as with something bought the day before - and then decide in favour of the buyer.

The concept of retaining evidence for half a year would be mind boggling for the casual seller as opposed to any business which would keep receipts as a matter of course. So the question for them is how they store the evidence of delivery. Does the PO keep signatures for 6 months or is it less?

As to the 180 day ruling, Paypal would adopt the same attitude as with something bought the day before - and then decide in favour of the buyer.

Taken from RM website

"Claims for loss must be made within 80 calendar days of the date of posting, or no claim will be entertained. Royal Mail has no legal liability for any loss if at the time of the claim 80 days has expired from the date of posting. Royal Mail advises customers to claim as soon as possible after an event has occurred to enable enquiries to be made promptly."

Basically your f****d

But your claiming from eBay, not RM. As long as you've got the receipts etc. then eBay/Paypal would give the refund and the I guess it's up to them to recuperate the lost monies?

But your claiming from eBay, not RM. As long as you've got the receipts etc. then eBay/Paypal would give the refund and the I guess it's up to them to recuperate the lost monies?

I think pies is saying if you sent an item that wasn't tracked, then you're stuck. However, I always send coins signed for for this very reason.

Has anybody got an old receipt with a tracking number on, if so can they enter it into the RM website and see if it recognises it