British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Andriulis

Florin 1911 - Where Is The Difference?

Hello,

could someone help with florin 1911. According to Coincraft in 1911 there are two varieties - first and second obverse. But where is the main difference? Maybe someone could show in pictures.

Thanks

Hi,

Gouby states the following;

Obv. 1 D of F.D. to bead (Hollow neck)

Obv. 2 D of F.D. to gap (Rounded neck)

I hope that helps!

Hello Andriulis

Most 1911 denominations have hollow and flat neck varieties, and the florin is no exception.

Hollow neck:

I of GEORGIVS to the right of a bead
D of F.D. to the left of a bead
I of IND to the right of a bead
Flat neck:
I of GEORGIVS between beads
D of F.D. between beads
I of IND at a bead
The hollow neck is quite a bit scarcer.

The easiest way is to look at the neck : if there is a pronounced ridge running down from behind the ear to the tip of the truncation, dividing the neck front and back - then it's the 'hollow neck' variety. However, if the neck is more or less a continuous convex curve, then it isn't.

The hollow neck is scarcer, but not by a huge degree.

These pictures (separate posts) should help, though they're not florins :

1. 'Hollow neck'

post-4737-0-89934700-1398421329_thumb.jp

2. Later (not hollow) neck :

post-4737-0-93899300-1398421383_thumb.jp

Thanks a lot for everyone. Now is a little bit more clear situation.

Hello,

I need your help again - it's that hollow or rounded neck? I see hollow neck. Is that right?

Thanks

post-4285-0-39633900-1438160462_thumb.jp

Yes you have a hollow neck there

..wait now I'm doubting it..

Edited by Nordle11

I of GEORGIVS to bead is 'shallow neck' (Davies 1730), I of GEORGIVS to space is 'full neck' (Davies 1731). So full neck unless the image is creating an illusion.

Edited by Rob

And has there been enough die study to rule out "hybrids"? His specimen looks to have the hollow neck with prominent sternocleidomastoid muscle and recess/space just posterior to the right of it.

And has there been enough die study to rule out "hybrids"? His specimen looks to have the hollow neck with prominent sternocleidomastoid muscle and recess/space just posterior to the right of Much l

Much like the 1911 penny (with the I of BRITT as the indicator for me) I've seen quite a few variations of where the I actually sits in relation to a tooth.

I'm remember there being a thread on here about it, and a handful of people provided pictures of different spacings and alignments of the teeth and the lettering for their hollow neck penny..