British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sweep

1862 Penny? What Do You Think?

So how would you grade the 1853 penny?

Welcome to the forum,not many penny collectors here(sorry Rob) :)

I would be happy with Declan's grade I'm hopeless at grading :(

For buying penny coins look at pennycrowncoins.co.uk not super cheap but fair prices and as Derek literally wrote the book on grading coins you know the grades will be accurate :)

Welcome along Sweep! You might be interested in perusing Accumulator's penny collection - it's very impressive! (I am not a penny collector myself, milled silver for me!)

Accumulator's penny collection

Edited by Paulus

Welcome along Sweep! You might be interested in perusing Accumulator's penny collection - it's very impressive! (I am not a penny collector myself, milled silver for me!)

Accumulator's penny collection

Great link, effectively my bible for penny pictures.

I wish all my pennies looked as good as his. He must of spent an absolute fortune!

I wish all my pennies looked as good as his. He must of spent an absolute fortune!

While we generally do not pay notice to nor comment upon the expense involved in building a collection... with the exception of possibly commenting upon the stratospheric levels acheived by certain rarities... we do however acknowledge the painstaking research and effort involved in acquiring specimens that are amongst the finest available....

QUALITY FIRST...

It's more than be said about my collection...

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

I'm rather late to the party… welcome to the forum, Sweep!

As Peckris says, your 1862 is the more common (by several orders of magnitude) 6 + G die combination. A lovely example for £15, that's for sure. Well done with the purchase!

Thank you for the kind comments on my collection website. I have so much more to do, which is just fine. Building a collection takes a long, long time but provides endless hours of pleasure.

Edited by Accumulator

While we generally do not pay notice to nor comment upon the expense involved in building a collection... with the exception of possibly commenting upon the stratospheric levels acheived by certain rarities... we do however acknowledge the painstaking research and effort involved in acquiring specimens that are amongst the finest available....

QUALITY FIRST...

You are way too modest... You have some very fine examples indeed!

ahh that site, I need to sue that when looking through Ebay

welcome Sweep !

Yes accumulator your collection is amazing! :) I hope my 1853 penny arrives safely and doesn't have one spot of verdigris, but if is does can the distilled method work?

Nice 1862 worth a lot more than that ,!853 quiet common, maybe nrp would do one for £20.Only joking neil.

ha it certainly wouldn't be bu full lustre ;-)

Hi neil ,good to catch up on Thursday again for a couple of hours. Hope lee has recovered and see you again soon .Adios

QUALITY FIRST...

Thank you for the kind words....

I do have many of the rare varieties, albeit not always in the choicest condition.... I'll grant that some may not be available in the so called "collectable grades"..... My belief, however, is that if someone (me for example) wants it for and places it in their collection, then it is indeed collectable....

As I made note in another post, I generally do not collect proofs nor patterms, (with some exceptions), so the collection is not as complete as others....

But I am content with what I have accomplished, working with what I had available to me....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

QUALITY FIRST...

Thank you for the kind words....

I do have many of the rare varieties, albeit not always in the choicest condition.... I'll grant that some may not be available in the so called "collectable grades"..... My belief, however, is that if someone (me for example) wants it for and places it in their collection, then it is indeed collectable....

As I made note in another post, I generally do not collect proofs nor patterms, (with some exceptions), so the collection is not as complete as others....

But I am content with what I have accomplished, working with what I had available to me....

Just to mention one coin Gary, your 1908 1*+ C, F164A, is possibly the best known. :)