British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

pies

Penny Collectors Who Are You All

Yep i agree. Like the 1897 dot after one on obv. Some people go crazy after these. I dont get too carried away with overdates either. The 1865 over 3 is a rediculous price on the penny.

It all depends on what you target as a collector. I accept that micro varieties may not appeal to everyone, but they do appeal to some. I agree that the colon/stop varieties do have to be very carefully considered across this series, because a vast majority are just weak as a result of die fill. It is surprising what information gets thrown up as a result of studying magnified coins, it gives you the opportunity to identify what die combinations can potentially exist. In fact the same could be said for the unbarred A's throughout this series.

The good thing about these minor die differencies is that one can grab a bargain if its rare and the seller isnt aware of it. And it makes the collecting more of a challenge! I spend hours comparing different coins under a magnifying glass, and sometimes i think am i off my rocker or what! Lol

• Like 1

The good thing about these minor die differencies is that one can grab a bargain if its rare and the seller isnt aware of it. And it makes the collecting more of a challenge! I spend hours comparing different coins under a magnifying glass, and sometimes i think am i off my rocker or what! Lol

You've correctly identified the variety, now you have to grade it correctly.

certified :)

Edited by pies

Yes grading a coin is important work. I totally agree

Funny how micro/hyper varietals rule the roost in the Bun series, but relatively major variants such as Regnal years in the Veiled Crown series go unloved and mostly unnoticed.

Funny how micro/hyper varietals rule the roost in the Bun series, but relatively major variants such as Regnal years in the Veiled Crown series go unloved and mostly unnoticed.

if like me you dont have a good detailed reference book then they will go unnoticed, I think I need to get myself one!

True is that. I just prefer absolute date rarities in top condition. Maybe not so strangely, the micros remind me of the infernal "condition census" people with the slabs on the American side of the Atlantic - make a rarity out of something that possibly is NOT to the majority.

:lol:

Overseas sellers are a good source, as most only use Krause and ignore Freeman, Gouby etc., and often Spink as well! I've picked up a few rarities this way.

Oh so true. :rolleyes:

Overseas sellers are a good source, as most only use Krause and ignore Freeman, Gouby etc., and often Spink as well! I've picked up a few rarities this way.

Oh, I thought Rob was being deeply ironic? I equated the part he'd highlighted bold, with his reply...

Oh, I thought Rob was being deeply ironic? I equated the part he'd highlighted bold, with his reply...

I think you're right! I looked at Bronze Mad's original post and replied to that. I hadn't noticed the replies!

It's not exactly a gap for me Scott, as I don't really collect filled dies. Lots of others do though.

227 is a serious collection. I did look at your site and some lovely coins there!!!

You also have a 1933 :o

My heart skipped a beat at first. But nice work on the date though the obv would have given it away.

Altered date, if I remember correctly?

Yes, indeed. An altered date, just for fun. :) The other coins are genuine though! I have a few more to add but been rather busy of late.

Altered date, if I remember correctly?

Yes, indeed. An altered date, just for fun. :) The other coins are genuine though! I have a few more to add but been rather busy of late.

Happy New Year, AC! :)