British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

pies

Penny Collectors Who Are You All

I rest my case.

But, is that a bad thing Rob? After all, .... the more penny collectors, the less competition for rare hammered coins and so on!

But, is that a bad thing Rob? After all, .... the more penny collectors, the less competition for rare hammered coins and so on!

It isn't a bad thing per se, just that the discussions rarely seem to diverge away from them - or so it feels. It rarely gets to farthings, and halfpennies are even more remote. There's a bit of interest in milled silver, but liking hammered often feels like you are ploughing a lone furrow.

Ah the old hammered stuff, i keep looking at it ,but im out of my depth, :( there are so many varients that i couldn't tell a fake from a proof or a bargin for a rip off. I will drift that way soon, once my understanding has got a bit lot better :) .The pennies are fairly straightforward with lots of info available

The reason i dont do halfpennies is purely because they are pretty much the same, and farthings are just too small.

Milled silver gives me a reason to buy other coins, plus i like the coins :)

:(

and farthings are just too small.

Sorry but for my eyes and fingers they are,pretty coins though :)

• Like 1

I have to admit to liking large coins. If I could afford it, I'd be collecting crowns more actively too.

my main field only has farthings and halfpennies :(

Only pennies 1797 - 1970

That's like saying "I'm only interested in cars from 1900 onwards" :D

Mainly bronze pennies, also halfpennies and to a lesser extent farthings. All by variety...

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

I hope people don't pay a silly premium for things like this.

The 1870 "Dot" under the Y of PENNY, sold to a advanced collector in the UK for nearly $1,000. :)

Good to know for reference purposes..... mine isn't as nice but still worth something ......

Sorry but for my eyes and fingers they are,pretty coins though :)

That's much as it is with me.....

Concentrating primarily on mostly pennies and half pennies and limiting it with few exceptions to circulation strikes only....

I've recently expanded my farthing album to accomodate the varieties noted on Colin Goodes website (well deserved hat's off to you Colin)...

I still have difficulty seeing farthings due to size and I probably will never achieve the level of completion that I have attained with the other two denominations... Especially, being on a fixed income, I have to budget my purchases and/or make some dramatic finds..

But the thrill is in the hunt itself....

Yep

The hunt is 100% for me on 1/4d's

I now type collect and pick up loads of......whatever. :)

Mrs Peter still gets me Cuban Cigar.

I don't want it every day.

She still bollocks me for smoking in the living room.....the bloody things last for 3hrs..

A large glass of white and she is....easier <_<

Is the wine for you or her ?

Is the wine for you or her ?

:D

only pennies 916-1650's?

We were talking about copper and bronze pennies...

Currently 206 pennies in my collection 1797-1970 so you could say I too belong in the category "Penny Collector" :)

However Halfpennies and Halfcrowns do make up another large portion of my collection.

All denominations are represented but I do have a gap for a Half Sovereign and a Three shilling Token.....

Currently 206 pennies in my collection 1797-1970 so you could say I too belong in the category "Penny Collector" :)

I've often wondered what a 'complete' collection would number but never taken the time to come up with a figure. It will obviously depend upon one's definition of 'complete', but Freeman alone lists about 260, excluding patterns. With Peck and the main copper varieties, it would have to be close to 500 in total (I currently have 227).

Edited by Accumulator

Ive still got many a gap in the vic copper penny series though. Its a life long process. Especially when im still drawn to silver coins as well!

It's not exactly a gap for me Scott, as I don't really collect filled dies. Lots of others do though.

• Like 1

The 1839 - 59 copper series is what i meant. Some of them are very scarce.

The 1839 - 59 copper series is what i meant. Some of them are very scarce.

Yes, that's true. Just don't get carried away with the whole "colon - half colon - no colon" thing, there's a LOT of filled dies in that series and a missing 'dot' or two isn't anything to write home about.