British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

pies

Penny Collectors Who Are You All

I read in another post Rob thinks there are too many penny collectors on here :)

Can't say I've noticed that many probably could only count four or five of you, so if you're a penny collector show yourself :)

Guilty :P

Compared to the number of regular contributors, pennies are disproportionately represented amongst the denomination collectors. That's all. Even I have a few (bronze and copper) pennies.

In fact I have examples in all metals. B)

Oops. I lied. Sorry, don't have an example in aluminum.

Edited by Rob

you have bits and pieces of EVERYTHING scott

I have a few pennies.

Favourites are George IV through 1859, with probably the Viccy young head most favourite.

Least favourite is the cartwheel.

Cheers Garrett

Guilty as charged :D - I have a very good date run of bronze pennies, but fewer farthings, and even fewer halfpennies. Pre-bronze it's a different story.

Have been collecting pennies for more than 20 years,in particular those between 1860 and 1894,but at one time I had them all from 1797 to 1960,including 1827,1849 and 1856 including some overdates.The rare dates I sold to concentrate on EF to Unc on the 1860 to 1894.My friends thought me mad when I paid nearly £300 for the F14 (1860).I purchased an 1860 copper penny with clear date about a month ago.I have the set of bronze threepennies in GF to Unc and also a few odds and ends.Still always on the look out for a bargain.

All Victorian Copper and Bronze forward!

I too collect pennies, along with all other denominations - a date run back to 1797, but few varieties.

Penny collector, but only hammered silver ones. ;)

Oh, love those 1839-1970 pennies! NOT the "Hypervarietals" narrow date cr--.

However, love the minor silver of Victoria also.

I have a few pennies too... B)

:lol:

I've got a decent collection back to 1895 but the buns are a science.

I have a few examples back to 1797 which have caught my eye.

yep, me too. Currency from 1797 onwards including the "Hypervarietals narrow date cr--. '' :)

• Like 1

Every now and then I'll see a Saxon or Plantagenet one that takes my fancy.

But then I think .. nah. I'd rather have a shilling.

:P

Beatus, qui est felis plena sixpences.

Edited by TomGoodheart

If you think the 'wide date' and 'narrow date' reverses are 'hypervarietal', you need to go and study your Freeman! For utter cr--, see the 1937 varieties :D

if you don't colelct narrow dates, if you get the 1877 send my way thanx ;)

Guilty as charged! I started by searching 5/- bags of copper from the bank, my limited funds at the time meant any silver was spent, only pennies were saved :)

Liverpool in the 60's was still a major port, so foreign coins were common in circulation, pennies from Ireland, Australia, S.Africa etc - even Argentinian 2cvos! So my interests widened to other 30mm bronze pennies such French 10 centimes, and others worldwide

Now getting tired of chasing missing dates and better grades, so going much further back on French copper, and dabbling in medieval European deniers when I see a nice design at a decent price

Nowadays I just buy what takes my fancy - still like my bronze pennies though, some are still those pulled from circulation 50 yrs ago, finding a worn 1869 was a triumph!!.... paying a fortune for a higher grade would not be the same. . :)

:)

Glad to send all the narrow dates I find - LOL - but please do send me the choice original red 1882 Londons,'64s, '69s, '71s that you find. I figure one for one on the '82, right?

If you think the 'wide date' and 'narrow date' reverses are 'hypervarietal', you need to go and study your Freeman! For utter cr--, see the 1937 varieties :D

AMEN Peck! :rolleyes:

Cr-- and more cr--, great. Well this bit is not quite as crappy....LOL. I'm quite glad others are attracted to these narrows and wides, I liked the well-shaped myself.

I have an extremely basic collection IE a 1900,1906,1936,1947,1970! :rolleyes:

What's your 1906 like Debbie? Any pictures!? :)