British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
damian1986

Gross Superstition

Have you a larger picture Damian? It's really hard to read! :(

I zoomed the screen on my Mac :D and could just about make it out - never mind that the coins were converted into low denominations, just think what they'd be worth now in UNC! Mind you, the silly girls would have been long dead...

I zoomed the screen on my Mac :D and could just about make it out - never mind that the coins were converted into low denominations, just think what they'd be worth now in UNC! Mind you, the silly girls would have been long dead...

A truly excellent feature of the operating system! ;)

Sorry yes there is a larger photo didn't realise it had been scaled down.

1a406ef06cae376944632fed9c8239d8.PNG

I had never really associated the name Tracey with the Victorian era!

Irish surname. In fact, they both are.

I thought the same about Tracey. I'd like to see Boley brought back, in place of Chardonnay, Rainbow or Peaches (now is this last one going to cause offence?)

This came about as a result of some research I was doing around the half farthing - trying to gauge public opinion on them when they became legal tender in Britain. Apparently the public thought them unnecessary and letters were written to The Times but I haven't been able to find anything.

In fact, what I did find is a letter from A Friend of the Working Man championing the coinage of the labouring classes, at least insofar as it was "of importance to the labouring man this his shilling should be divisible into many parts" (February 1st, 1845). He goes on to propose a decimal system based on the French franc - one where the base unit, in this case he suggested the shilling, be divided into 100 parts. They got to this... in 1970.

There are many other calls for a decimal coinage at this time.

293792133333101dbe19bc7b65dfc91a.PNG

(17th of September 1853).

Ah the name-bashing is maybe a little harsh on second thoughts, except since no one had the bright idea of naming their daughter Rainbow in the last 500 years, which I estimate is about as long as we've been actually referring to rainbows as 'rainbows', why start now?

Incidentally, in case you weren't already aware, Rainbow Aurora celebrated her first birthday last month. This one didn't make it into The Times but thankfully E! Online picked it up.

It's just getting silly isn't it? There was a news article recently about a 3 year old who'd caught a something from her cat in the UK and when I read on it mentioned her name was Sparkle :(

Good work at giving your kids a head start in life..

I see lots of Victorian love tokens with lovely old names such as Dotty, Flo, Hattie, Agnes, Harriett…..

I see lots of Victorian love tokens with lovely old names such as Dotty, Flo, Hattie, Agnes, Harriett…..

Much nicer names than the above! :)

Much nicer names than the above! :)

Agnes and Harriet (and probably Florence too) have made a big comeback in the last decade or so.

name always change you just look at the names of the roman emperors in the first second and third and fourth centuries they were changing pretty rapid back then . look at the popular names 100 yrs ago and compare them to now heeps of difference .

I would emagine in another 100 years exactly the same thing will happen again.

in other words savanah , sky, peaches fifi trixabell or chantel will have died out and newer ones will have arived instead

Edited by copper123

name always change you just look at the names of the roman emperors in the first second and third and fourth centuries they were changing pretty rapid back then . look at the popular names 100 yrs ago and compare them to now heeps of difference .

I would emagine in another 100 years exactly the same thing will happen again.

in other words savanah , sky, peaches fifi trixabell or chantel will have died out and newer ones will have arived instead

Yep I was being a bit of a bell-end.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the supposed defenders of the language who get on their high horse on radio 4.. language evolves. But I do begrudge undeservedly-famous cretins naming their daughters Rainbow presumably for a bit of press coverage. Gotta keep up the profile.

• Like 1

It's just getting silly isn't it? There was a news article recently about a 3 year old who'd caught a something from her cat in the UK and when I read on it mentioned her name was Sparkle :(

Good work at giving your kids a head start in life..

You're sure that wasn't the cat? ?

In my wife's culture names like Bambi and Princess for girls with Rolex for boys plus many more that we would consider odd that I can't think of at the moment are very common. My son was very nearly called Ariel after his Grandad but Ronald was eventually settled for. There's an old name for you.

In my wife's culture names like Bambi and Princess for girls with Rolex for boys plus many more that we would consider odd that I can't think of at the moment are very common. My son was very nearly called Ariel after his Grandad but Ronald was eventually settled for. There's an old name for you.

Rolex? ROLEX?? What a name! There's a young man who will do.. Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Rolex? ROLEX?? What a name! There's a young man who will do.. Her Majesty's Pleasure.

…TIMEX! :ph34r:

• Like 1

I remember in the betting for a name for prince George , "Bradley" was a 100/1 shot , prob. after Bradley wiggins

One of my neices is named Lovelyjoy ...... and another is Ferdilyn which is an amagination of her mother Lyn and father Ferdie.

One of my neices is named Lovelyjoy ...... and another is Ferdilyn which is an amagination of her mother Lyn and father Ferdie.

She'll be the antiques dealer, then?