British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Spink lists no varieties for the 1687, but does anyone think there is something 'going on' with the '8' here? I know there is often something 'going on' with early milled, but I thought I would ask, perhaps a known variety not listed in Spink?

I am rubbish at imagining what other number may or may not be involved!

I would have this reverse at GF, any other opinions?

1687_CR_Rev02_500_zpsec826211.png

1687_CR_Rev03_zps5279dffd.png

I think you are imagining things. The 8s on the early milled are usually asymmetrical. This one is slightly worse than usual, but in the absence of an identifiable under-character I suggest it is a badly formed 8.

Edited by Rob

I think you are imaginging things. The 8s on the early milled are usually asymmetrical. This one is slightly worse than usual, but in the absence of an identifiable under-character I suggest it is a badly formed 8.

Thanks, I'm sure you are right Rob :)

Looks a pleasing coin.

All to often the date is worn flat. :)

I'm not sure I can see any other digit there either.

I would rate it as F personally - the centre is almost worn flat.