British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
shamo

Damaged "t"'s To Repair Letters

hi, i like to know how many came across this,this is an 1842 farthing,i'v seen it on another farthing,what do you think.i hope the scan's are all right.

thank's shamo

post-7224-0-94170300-1397516324_thumb.jp

post-7224-0-04884600-1397516330_thumb.jp

i feel a right fool is it they possible recut part of the letter and it's a repair,sorry for the post

It's possible! Hard to tell from the photos..

Shamo

There are no stupid questions.

Welcome to the forum.

You will learn a lot :)

Yes agreed, welcome !

There are certainly some examples where a different letter seems to have been used to strengthen a weakened letter if the shape fitted, however it is very difficult to be certain. There are a couple in that series where an I appears to have been used to recut the upright of a D.

The D appears to just be the remnants of the underlying D, that seems to resemble part of a letter T.

The R does just appear to be a flaw, but better photos may help to clarify