British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

1902 Shilling

I have in my collection this very acceptable (imo) Matt Proof (imo) shilling. It is slabbed by CGS as AU but with 'field damage', they don't give any details ... can anyone spot any problems with it?

1902_SH_MP_Obv01_CGS_zps4a74c21b.png

1902_SH_PF_Rev01_CGS_zpsc3ef4b3c.png

Looks like a nice coin to me.

There's a couple of scratches on Eddie's neck, and looks like some small marks under the letters from 12-2 oclock on the obverse.

But still, not a bad coin and I suspect you may have got a nice discount just because of the 'but' factor ('coin is in X condition but...') that will scare the speculators and investors.

cheers

Garrett.

There looks to be slight blistering beneath the legend I•GRA•BRIT on the obverse, and is there another connecting the lion's rear left kneebone to the circle? Otherwise looks a nice coin.

I'd be inclined to break it out and remove the problem, a very nice coin would sell on its looks alone regardless what cgs say :)

I'd be inclined to break it out and remove the problem, a very nice coin would sell on its looks alone regardless what cgs say :)

I agree Pies!

I suspect it would grade PR62 with a reasonable shot at 63 by US standards depending on whether there are any hairlines in the field. Not sure that makes 80 by UK (CGS) standards. I am not seeing a compelling basis for "field damage" unless CGS questions the color and suspects it is AT.