British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

shamo

Lost In Space

hi again, looking to pick some brain's

found a coin i liked

bid on the coin i liked

payed for the coin i liked

the coin i liked was posted

this is the part lost in space

6 week's waiting for the coin,contacted the dealer, offered a refund,that,s ok and fine

the problem is i liked the coin and i would still like to have it,so does the coin belong to me if it ever turn,s up again,or what is the protocol,over this.

i.e. 1862 b/R bought for 15 quid and worth a lot more,if it had got lost in space,and turned up a few year's latter, the one who bought it first for 15 own it and belong's to them.

thank's shamo

Hi Shamo,

I think that's called an "ideal world". Whichever coin collecting postie pinched that one isn't giving it back, especially if it was something like a 1862 b/r.

You're correct though, if something does miraculously turn up and still has the contents inside then the RM should deliver it to you still. (They'll probably deliver it still even if empty)

If you find the same coin being sold in an auction entitled "Property of a Postman", I doubt they'll give it back to you as a 'who paid for it first' type scenario!

Depends on the person who has lost it for you. A lot of things don't arrive because they fail to make the expected/desired price. If the person selling has a history of losing items, call their bluff - it has worked for me in the past. In cases where there is no proof of posting, I did it by suggesting that they look a bit harder for the coin and in return, I won't leave feedback. As long as he has proof of posting, then it absolves him of being the reason it is lost.

I've had things go missing in the post from a proper auctioneer where I've been paid out, but asked if I still wanted it when it was returned to them half a year later. So technically not my property any more, but it did no harm to ask me the question.

There are no rules, though I suspect that it goes along the lines of insurance. i.e. the insurance company owns any recoveries.

hi Rob and thanks for getting in touch.

the person not a dealer as such,i call every body a dealer if there selling something.Because were all looking deal's.

the person has 100% feedback so there was no prob's there,and she did offer a refund.she marked the box as being posted,and date of being posted in ebay.

so every thing is fine to this point.

i don't wise to except the refund,and still hope the coin turn's up,like your self i had one other parcel go a stray,it turned up at my door 6 month's later,had been redirected from abroad.We all have the saying finder's keeper's or most people do,but it has come to light that is not the case.So is it legally my as i have payed for it were ever it turn's up.

the person not a dealer as such,i call every body a dealer if there selling something.Because were all looking deal's.

the person has 100% feedback so there was no prob's there,and she did offer a refund.she marked the box as being posted,and date of being posted in ebay.

i don't wise to except the refund,and still hope the coin turn's up,like your self i had one other parcel go a stray,it turned up at my door 6 month's later,had been redirected from abroad.We all have the saying finder's keeper's or most people do,but it has come to light that is not the case.So is it legally my as i have payed for it were ever it turn's up.

If it ever does turn up, you could tell the seller and enclose another cheque for the amount refunded.

thank's for getting in touch, Nordle 11 i like your post,i do have good faith in the RM and the postie's,i know two who worked in London head office,

1927 much much lustre penny

reverse: missing down ward stroke to sleeve under Britannia's arm missing,cuff extend's to below elbow like a ribbon.

send out the sniffer dogs,it's my my my my :)

The point is you can mark it as posted, but if you have genuinely sent it the PO will give a proof of posting. Otherwise it is one person's word against the other. If the seller can't prove it was posted, they haven't a leg to stand on. That is eBay's default position too. Buyer good, seller bad.

Edited by Rob

Without proof of postage the very quick offer of a refurn smell very fishy.

i'm thinking its a bit fishy,but all the box's are ticked and she could be straight forward and decent.the only one other bell that would be ringing for me is the photo could have come from some were else and not her's or spotted the flaw and keep it.

it's going back to a legal owner ship of any item be it a pair of shoe's,the person has excepted the money for the item.if the item come's up fore sale again,ether by that person or persons other who own's it.

point being 1 coin 3 5 10 known you didn't spot it when you bought and payed for it,and just payed normal postage,until you look back and see what you had bought,it is going to a hard pill to swallow and more so if you were to see it again for sale.is it a case for some you win and some you lose.

i'm thinking its a bit fishy,but all the box's are ticked and she could be straight forward and decent.the only one other bell that would be ringing for me is the photo could have come from some were else and not her's or spotted the flaw and keep it.

it's going back to a legal owner ship of any item be it a pair of shoe's,the person has excepted the money for the item.if the item come's up fore sale again,ether by that person or persons other who own's it.

point being 1 coin 3 5 10 known you didn't spot it when you bought and payed for it,and just payed normal postage,until you look back and see what you had bought,it is going to a hard pill to swallow and more so if you were to see it again for sale.is it a case for some you win and some you lose.

I bought through ebay in the US a 1956 1/2d in red, the rarest variety for about $11. All the boxes were ticked but not wanting to alert the seller I didn't ask for insured delivery. Of course nothing arrived and within 30 mins of my asking for conformation of postage I had a refund. I think what happens is that someone else may have spotted it and contacted the seller with an offer before they had posted the coin.

Edited by Gary1000

If you took an item back to a shop and they gave you a refund, the item would no longer legally belong to you. If the same thing happened re. an item lost in the post, I'd guess maybe the same thing applies? So if it finally turned up after you got a refund but you didn't say anything about it, then legally you might be on dodgy ground. However if you returned the refund to the seller and explained the item had turned up, that MIGHT constitute a legal contract?

If you took an item back to a shop and they gave you a refund, the item would no longer legally belong to you. If the same thing happened re. an item lost in the post, I'd guess maybe the same thing applies? So if it finally turned up after you got a refund but you didn't say anything about it, then legally you might be on dodgy ground. However if you returned the refund to the seller and explained the item had turned up, that MIGHT constitute a legal contract?

Yes. If you later receive it then it would be honest to return the refund to the seller. They will have fulfilled their part of the contract between you by supplying the goods and so payment is still due.

And there will be no harm in letting them know that you are still keen to have the coin if they receive it because it was lost or undelivered. However, since you've been refunded, I imagine the agreement between you can effectively been considered to have been cancelled and so you rely on their honesty and goodwill to finalise the deal.

The risk of course is that they had second thoughts after the sale and decided not to post it.

the person offered the refund,but i haven't excepted it,which she could still go ahead and refund me,and from Gary 1000's post i did'nt take that in to a count,and to ebay that's not a load ether,i just hope it wont drop from outer space with a heavenly buy it now tag.

Ask for the proof of posting. That usually results in a lot of squirming by a guilty party.

As I've said before to a seller, I'm not saying you haven't posted it, but without any evidence to the contrary I'm keeping all the options open. Remarkably the coin was returned within a week from the lost parcels depot in N. Ireland (instead of the usual 3 months) and forwarded to me. ;)

And I refused to let them off the hook by accepting a refund. I said I thought it worth waiting for a coin to appear given it was only costing 10-20% of market value. Especially as the seller had tried it on with someone else who I knew to be decent

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

record I have had is 3 months, that was when items were lost in the post then the seller claims off the post office.

i sent another message looking proof or a receipt from the post office and fore warded to me.

thank's again every one

Hi Shamo. I to have had this problem more than once. It really pisses me off you think you've got a bargain and nothing turns up. No proof of postage and very quick to refund. I came to my own conclusion that the seller didn't get the selling price he/she was after. BANKERS the lot of them. :angry:

thank's Danz,the person has not got in touch from my last message,So i don't know now,it can still turn up.

The longest an item has taken was a month. I usually contact seller after 1-2 weeks and let them know I will wait for a month after sale date to see if it turns up. Then take it from there. Dan.

Same happened to me.

Bought £1 piedfort as a present for my fiance.

Two weeks - nothing.

Contacted seller, opened case, no response, quick refund.

Still no present and shes coming from abroad on monday...

It's happened again. No item ( I got at a good price). Seller says it was sent recorded but can't remember the tracking number :angry: . Pull the other one. :lol:

It's happened again. No item ( I got at a good price). Seller says it was sent recorded but can't remember the tracking number :angry: . Pull the other one. :lol:

Jolt his memory and remind him that the post office gives you a receipt for tracked items. Tell him if he asks the PO to send you the coin by signed for/special delivery he will find this is true and that you aren't bs'ing him. Oh, and while you are on, tell him he's a t**t, but could alleviate the situation somewhat by sending you the coin that you won................... by tracked mail. ;)

Edited by Rob

Looks like it's going to be a refund :angry:.