British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ohb1

Gothic Florin..or Not

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me if I have posted this query in the wrong section.

I live in Australia, and metal detect for pre decimal (silver) coins that were the common form of currency pre 1966.

My friend and I are compiling a complete set of Australian silvers from metal detecting finds, but my friend is keeping a separate collection of English silvers that we have found.

This past month, my friend found a gothic florin..the first one she has found in Australia, and only the second she has found in her past 25 years of detecting.

So here is my question. Can someone please comment on the following abnormalities

(1)..The "Britt" (double T) suggests the coin is dated after 1868, but the roman numerals suggest 1853

(2) what is the seemingly additional letter after the date ?

It has been suggested that the coin is a contemporary copy or fake..but if this is the case, why the obvious addition of an extra letter ( as in (2) above), and if it is a forgery, why make an obvious "error" (as in (1))

I have yet to weigh it to see if it comes close to the official weight of around 11 grams.

Any and all comments will be much appreciated

Ohb1

(1)..The "Britt" (double T) suggests the coin is dated after 1868, but the roman numerals suggest 1853

(2) what is the seemingly additional letter after the date ?

What you take to be the Gothic "i" (for 1) is in fact the Gothic "x" (for 10). The additional letter is a "v", making the date 1885. Hope that helps.

Yes I think Peck may be correct.

Welcome to the forum and what a great find !

Thanks so much Peckris and Garrett..it makes it so obvious when you change the I to an X...Being somewhat ignorant of older English coins, It did have me baffled..again thanks

ohb1

Thanks so much Peckris and Garrett..it makes it so obvious when you change the I to an X...Being somewhat ignorant of older English coins, It did have me baffled..again thanks

ohb1

It's the Gothic script - it makes Roman numerals harder to read!

Thanks Peckris,

Once you explained the "I" being an "x", I could see the difference when I compared it to the "I" in "Victoria".. :)..it makes such a difference when "someone in the know" points someone like me in the right direction :)

Ohb1