British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gives you a seller's name, price and date to add to the records. That'll do!

There are some provenance-worthy sellers on there, though. I've bought some rarities from Mike Bonser before he sadly passed away last year.

Gives you a seller's name, price and date to add to the records. That'll do!

There are some provenance-worthy sellers on there, though. I've bought some rarities from Mike Bonser before he sadly passed away last year.

Not to mention that Michael Freeman sells on eBay - now THERE's provenance for you!

Wow, did'nt realise Michael Freeman was also on the bay

Michael Freeman puts an occasional item on eBay, but is not a big seller there. I bought a Farthing Mule off of him on eBay, but it was quite a while ago.

Michael Freeman puts an occasional item on eBay, but is not a big seller there. I bought a Farthing Mule off of him on eBay, but it was quite a while ago.

Peter Davies also puts in a show occasionally. He has bought a couple of bit from me. I can see the ticket now. Dadds 13/6/10 ebay £4.25.

Peter Davies also puts in a show occasionally. He has bought a couple of bit from me. I can see the ticket now. Dadds 13/6/10 ebay £4.25.

Also on eBay ocassionally are John Jerrams, Tony Crocker, and other notables. BTW...Michael Freeman, and Michael Gouby are sometimes contributors to this Forum.

these the guys that wrote the legendary books? :D

OK, I'm hoping to take some photos later, but in the meantime does anyone have any pics of Alan Rayner's tickets?

Ideally when he was dealing for himself (1973-89) rather than when at Seabys (1949-73) but any would do.

The ticket I'm interested in is 29mm, (off) white and written in black biro. Says 381/AO which might indicate March 1981??

Thanks!

Here's the 'obverse' which I wondered if it might be Alan Rayner's. Anyone seen similar?

post-129-0-09371400-1398869941_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Oddly, the 'reverse' mostly restates what's on the other side but in a different hand ..

post-129-0-55445200-1398870033_thumb.jpg

I think they are by the same hand. The split line under Charles, the shape of the 3, T, the Roman 1.

The earlier ticket certainly looks like the one attributed to Rayner in the BNJ. The use of Spink no 2785 would place the later reading to the period 1978-2005, with his retirement in 1989 implying it was written in the first 10 years. The price of £80 is in the right ballpark for a VF or a little better in the 1980s. He left Seaby in 1973, so if the earlier side was written by him whilst at Seaby it must be immediately post-decimalisation.

Perusing Seaby's Bulletins for the period, there was a gFine on the books for about a year @ £10 reduced to 8. A really good fine at £12, and what may be the same as the ticket here, a VF with a good portrait @ £30 in Jan 1973 no.6162. There was however, another given as good VF very sharp Portrait @ £33 in April. This could be the same coin and a case of hype, trying to improve the selling prospects. There was also a nVF @ £16.50 with a stain on the obverse in Dec. 1973.

Thanks Rob! My feeling is it's nVF. Probably impossible to pin down without a photo, but the Rayner link is nice to have.

post-129-0-02246900-1398876636_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rob! My feeling is it's nVF. Probably impossible to pin down without a photo, but the Rayner link is nice to have.

attachicon.gifSpink 2789 Sharp D4_1 - Copy2.jpg

If nVF, then £27.50 is a bit steep. Your coin certainly isn't good VF. Tickets can also get mixed up.