British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

pokal02

1663 Reddite Crown £330K

Wasn't expecting that - thought it might get to about 180-200k - is this a record for a British silver coin?

Yes. I guessed 250K hammer. I was only a small house short of the final figure. :blink:

Yes. I guessed 250K hammer. I was only a small house short of the final figure. :blink:

A small house for £80k?....sadly ,.not even a garage in my part of the country....

Therein lies the gulf between the south and north. I was thinking in local terms where 80K will buy a 3 bed semi in need of some modernisation. Otherwise, today a 2 up, 2 down in Blackburn starts at just over £30K according to zoopla. 25 years ago, a similar property was 3500 in need of repair, 5k done up. That when even in Manchester a 3 bed semi in a respectable part of town was typically in the 75-100 bracket.

I remember going on courses the NW in the late 80's and the house prices were so cheap.

I think Robbie Fowler bought half of Liverpool.

Therein lies the gulf between the south and north. I was thinking in local terms where 80K will buy a 3 bed semi in need of some modernisation. Otherwise, today a 2 up, 2 down in Blackburn starts at just over £30K according to zoopla. 25 years ago, a similar property was 3500 in need of repair, 5k done up. That when even in Manchester a 3 bed semi in a respectable part of town was typically in the 75-100 bracket.

Jeez....a 2 up 2 down around here would set you back £400k min and you wouldnt get a garage or any off street parking.....

The most expensive 3 bed semi I've bought in the last few years was 67K. The others were around the 60 mark.

Prices have increased though as it would probably be over 70 by now for the same property.

Edited by Rob

The most expensive 3 bed semi I've bought in the last few years was 67K. The others were around the 60 mark.

Prices have increased though as it would probably be over 70 by now for the same property.

Blimey, where do you live?....I'll have a dozen....

A flat in Munich will set you back 350k a house will cost 500k minimum and above

A flat in Munich will set you back 350k a house will cost 500k minimum and above

Blimey, where do you live?....I'll have a dozen....

Oop north. In the land that is foreign to anyone south of the Watford Gap. A divided country - people in the south-east seem to be oblivious to the rest of the country, people up north can't afford to move down south. That's why so many commute from as far away as the north-east by train into London. A season ticket to London is probably cheaper than the cost of a mortgage - maybe someone knows?

Holy buckets, I'm glad I live in the USA.

I don't live in a big city (110,000 inhabitants), and my house is fairly small as homes go in the USA (170 square meters, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, garden, and garage). It would sell for around £80K. I have more space than I know what to do with...for what would get me a garage (or a nice cardboard box) on your side of the Atlantic (save where Rob lives it seems ;) ).

To illustrate an example of Rob's North/HousePricesApril2014_zpsb234b47e.pngSouth divide point:

• Like 1

To illustrate an example of Rob's North/HousePricesApril2014_zpsb234b47e.pngSouth divide point:

To be fair if you quoted hale, Alderley edge, prestbury and bowdon it might increase the house prices slightly!!!

Holy buckets, I'm glad I live in the USA.

I don't live in a big city (110,000 inhabitants), and my house is fairly small as homes go in the USA (170 square meters, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, garden, and garage). It would sell for around £80K. I have more space than I know what to do with...for what would get me a garage (or a nice cardboard box) on your side of the Atlantic (save where Rob lives it seems ;) ).

I think that you will find the difference is that houses in the UK are generally made from bricks and mortar which make them more expensive than the wood and nails they're made from in the US....also, we dont have quite as much land to live in as you do.....personally, for me, there's nothing like the buzz and vitality of living in somewhere like central London......different strokes for different folks and all that...

I would hate to live in London, i think it would strangle me, i like a bit of open air instead of seeing buildings and traffic everywhere.

I would hate to live in London, i think it would strangle me, i like a bit of open air instead of seeing buildings and traffic everywhere.

Yup....as I said...it's different strokes for different folks.....personally I love the all the buildings and the 24/7 aspect of it all....never far from the sea or the countryside if I want that ...every type of restaurant/club/pub/entertainment that you could want, close to several major airports for hols and weekend breaks..no real need for a car most of the time..of course there are down sides....mainly that no-one speaks English...but hey, I can live with that...

With age one eventually grows out of the need/want of having a restaurant/club/pub/entertainment on every street corner. I enjoyed that during my university days, but now that I'm creeping up on age 35 I much prefer peace and quiet. :) But as you said, to each his/her own. Variety is the spice of life -- if we were all robots with the same preferences life would be dull indeed.

With age one eventually grows out of the need/want of having a restaurant/club/pub/entertainment on every street corner. I enjoyed that during my university days, but now that I'm creeping up on age 35 I much prefer peace and quiet. :) But as you said, to each his/her own. Variety is the spice of life -- if we were all robots with the same preferences life would be dull indeed.

Yeah, and the rest.. :lol:

Yup....as I said...it's different strokes for different folks.....personally I love the all the buildings and the 24/7 aspect of it all....never far from the sea or the countryside if I want that ...every type of restaurant/club/pub/entertainment that you could want, close to several major airports for hols and weekend breaks..no real need for a car most of the time..of course there are down sides....mainly that no-one speaks English...but hey, I can live with that...

:lol::lol::lol: