British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The attached jpegs are from the Royal Mint's Sydney Branch showing the coins released and withdrawn for the years 1904 and 1905. As you can see 3800 halfcrowns were released by the Sydney Mint in 1905 and probably included halfcrowns for that year. Little did they know how much these would be worth in a little over a hundred years. This photocopy was given to me by Sterling & Currency of Fremantle WA when I purchased an uncirculated 1904 halfcrown from them for more than I care to admit to.

post-8305-0-12612900-1395646192_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-24742000-1395646232_thumb.jp

Isn't that £3800 worth of half-crowns, instead of 3800 individual half-crowns?

So that's only 475 released in total, and 216 withdrawn?

Yes you are correct. At 8 halfcrowns to the pound the total would be 30400. Who knows what the dates were on the coins probably a mixture of 1903, 1904 and 1905. All rare dates in their own right.

Yes you are correct. At 8 halfcrowns to the pound that would be 30400 halfcrowns. As to the dates one can only guess probably a mixture of 1903.1904 and 1905 all rare dates in their own right. One

presumes that the ones withdrawn were worn or damaged earlier issues.

Yes you are correct. At 8 halfcrowns to the pound that would be 30400 halfcrowns. As to the dates one can only guess probably a mixture of 1903.1904 and 1905 all rare dates in their own right. One

presumes that the ones withdrawn were worn or damaged earlier issues.

They couldn't have been worn after a year in circulation, surely? Or do you mean where the dies are worn and the striking detail isn't great?

Neither. Halfcroens and other coins withdrawn would have been old worn and damaged coins as collected by banks etc. and returned to the Sydney branch of the royal Mint much as what happens today with old worn and damaged banknotes. New coins such as the number in the record would have been released to replace the withdrawn ones plus and increase in numbers based on an estimate in demand for these coins if required.. To get things in perspective it has to be remembered that in 1905 a halfcrown was a tidy sum of money.

To get things in perspective it has to be remembered that in 1905 a halfcrown was a tidy sum of money.

Indeed. In Britain it amounted to around half a day's wages for a building worker.

To get things in perspective it has to be remembered that in 1905 a halfcrown was a tidy sum of money.

Indeed. In Britain it amounted to around half a day's wages for a building worker.

I shared this fact with my fiance (not that she cares...) and she asked me what could one buy for a crown back in Edwardian times.

Anyone knows?

1685 halfcrown in Fine

Lima halfcrown in EF

Proof halfpennies 1799 or 1806

1772 GEORIVS 1/2d in Fine

Barmaid services?

An EF LIMA halfcrown for twice face? Blimey. They were good times to be a collector.

Yep, but you might pick up a fine GEORIVS 1/2d for a fiver on eBay today if you're lucky. Not everything has increased uniformly.

You can use comparison price multipliers to give yourself a ballpark bid for the better items.

I think his girlfriend wasn't referring to coins...

Hmm. Weird.

:lol: