British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ChKy

1994 Penny Struck In Aluminium Brass

Hi Folks!

I purchased a 1994 Penny struck in Aluminum brass from DNW last year. The Royal Mint confirmes that it is genuine.

Penny1994Messing_zps4494e52f.jpg

Penny1994Messing-Rand_zpsd7a0f12b.jpg

Penny1994Messing-Brief_zps4f6d0bf1.jpg

Well... the specifications are:

Weight: around 3.99 Gramm

Diameter: around 20.02 mm

Thickness: variable 1.54-1.98 mm

Does anybody of have an idea what kind of blank was used in that case?

What is aluminium bronze?

A mixture of Copper, Nickel & Aluminium...

unlikely combination! I think an alloy like that should have its own name. Calling it 'bronze' is a total lie really.

The name is: Bronzital

But that one is Not commonly used I guess ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_bronze

Just copy and paste that link into your browser.

Several French coins used to be struck in Aluminium Bronze. And the current "Nordic Gold" used for mid size Euro coins is a variant. Trouble is, lots of coins are made of the stuff. A list of coins the Mint makes for other countries and their specifications would have been useful.

In the meantime: http://colnect.com/en/coins/countries/composition/30-Aluminium_Bronze if it helps at all.

To narrow down what the intended coin was you would have to get an accurate weight of the piece and find out what the BRM was striking at that time.

unlikely combination! I think an alloy like that should have its own name. Calling it 'bronze' is a total lie really.

It's what the good old 3d was made of.

that's an interesting coin

I thought that was brass? They were called 'brass threepences'!

I thought that was brass? They were called 'brass threepences'!

Your right Pecks I don't know where I got that from. They are Nickel Brass.

Several French coins used to be struck in Aluminium Bronze. And the current "Nordic Gold" used for mid size Euro coins is a variant. Trouble is, lots of coins are made of the stuff. A list of coins the Mint makes for other countries and their specifications would have been useful.

In the meantime: http://colnect.com/en/coins/countries/composition/30-Aluminium_Bronze if it helps at all.

That is a quite interesting source and I thought in creating an account. But then I had a closer look onto the terms of use. Below you find an extract:

6. Your User Contribution and Conduct

A. As a Colnect account holder you may submit relevant content. Adding items to the catalogs, editing the catalogs, adding item comments, translations, posting in the forums or sending private messages are collectively referred to as "User Contributions." You understand that Colnect does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any User Contributions.

B. You shall be solely responsible for your own User Contributions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Contributions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Colnect to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Contributions to enable inclusion and use of the User Contributions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.

That sounds ok for me. But then I read that part:

C. For clarity, you waive all of your ownership rights in your User Contributions.

[...]

This makes a membership unattractive in my point of view. Suggestions? What do you think?

Edited by ChKy

This makes a membership unattractive in my point of view. Suggestions? What do you think?

Yes. Rather excessive I think. But then I only use the site for reference too look up designs/ specifications. I've never actually thought of joining myself. And given the T&C doubt that I would.

I rather agree with you Christof. Firstly I'd be none to happy giving someone rights to private messages (rather a misnomer if Colnect can do as they wish with them!) and secondly while I'd have no real problems with casual use of images I create, this appears to give them the right to re-use them. Possibly for financial gain, although that part isn't clear.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Yes. Rather excessive I think. But then I only use the site for reference too look up designs/ specifications. I've never actually thought of joining myself. And given the T&C doubt that I would.

I rather agree with you Christof. Firstly I'd be none to happy giving someone rights to private messages (rather a misnomer if Colnect can do as they wish with them!) and secondly while I'd have no real problems with casual use of images I create, this appears to give them the right to re-use them. Possibly for financial gain, although that part isn't clear.

The obvious retort to that, is to add a very obvious watermark to all images you upload - if they want the rights to them, they'll have to take 'em with watermark as well.