British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to collecting/ buying and selling and don't have much spare cash. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good car boot sales in and around London/ Surrey which might have stallholders shifting some coins, or if anyone has found any bargains at them.

Any other advice about the best places to acquire reasonably priced pieces would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Oli

Whoever you are, I think you just made the 100,000th post, so as a treat, pick £10 worth of things on predecimal.com and I'll send them to you post free!

• Like 1

Welcome NKOTB, I am in South London too but haven't tried car boots. Chris' offer is genuine by the way, with no strings, in case you were wondering!

I'm in Surrey and haven't found anything of the sort. I can suggest, however, that a visit to the London Coin Fair or the Bloomsbury Coin Fair might be suitable as many dealers have 'bargain trays' that cause a flurry of activity just after the doors open.

Congratulations on the 100,000th post and enjoy Chris' coins. :)

I'm relatively new myself. I'm sure the more experienced here will not advise what I've done, but I bought 5kg worth of coins from a charity recently and am now just awaiting delivery. I'm sure there'll be a huge amount of dross, but maybe that's an option???

I'm relatively new myself. I'm sure the more experienced here will not advise what I've done, but I bought 5kg worth of coins from a charity recently and am now just awaiting delivery. I'm sure there'll be a huge amount of dross, but maybe that's an option???

Probably most of it will be dross, but if you got it for a fair price (scrap value plus a margin) then that's ok. And who knows, you may find something in there?

As a rough guide, "silver" coins have real silver (50%) from 1920 - 1946, and before that they are sterling silver. Copper has a reasonable value too.

Welcome and congrats Oli. If I may make a suggestion, you could do worse than get Chris to send you Collectors Coins GB as part of your prize. Then when you do find a coin you can look it up and find out a bit more about it. I know it may not seem as much fun as a bag of coins, but long-term I'm sure you'll find it useful!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Peck - I've tried quoting you but still can't work out, so in response:

I paid £75. The description said "old and foreign coins". I'll probably rue this decision, but in my slightly inebriated state at the time and having won exactly £75 on the premium bonds thought, why not. I'll keep you posted on any interesting finds.

Peck - I've tried quoting you but still can't work out, so in response:

I paid £75. The description said "old and foreign coins". I'll probably rue this decision, but in my slightly inebriated state at the time and having won exactly £75 on the premium bonds thought, why not. I'll keep you posted on any interesting finds.

Just click the "Quote" button (bottom right of all posts), then add your own comment below the box.

£75 could be ok if there's a few things in there that could be sold on eBay. Yes, keep us posted, and remember there are foreign coin collectors here too, especially if prewar (or 19th Century), who could advise.

Okie doke, just tried that. I've done it before but because nothing showed up as "quoted" assumed it didn't work. I'll see if this works! :huh:

Yes, I must admit, unless there's anything Hungarian or Norwegian, none of the foreign stuff will rock my boat, so will post if anyone's interested. Hoping it will arrive by Tuesday and then the fun can commence :D :D :D :D :D

Again, the quoting button doesn't seem to have worked for me =(

What browser and operating system are you using?

Windows 7 and IE8

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

Chris, that's great, thanks a lot! I'll email you my address etc in a minute.

HC, was planning on going to the next Bloomsbury Fair, so will definitely look out for the bargain trays!

Richtips, what charity did you buy them from? To be honest I don't have £75 to spend, but would be very keen to buy some cheaper bulk lots.

Tom - Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a (admittedly quite out of date) Spink Standard Catalogue so have been consulting that whenever possible :)

I find it works only if I right click and open in a new tab. Maybe try that?

At Blackbushe Airport Sunday market there is sometimes a very scruffy small stall, run by a very scruffy small man who knows a bit about coins. Rarely has anything above fine but his prices are realistic. He also has a fair bit of London Mint/ Westminster Mint/ Pobjoy tat that he always describes as cr*p and prices it accordingly.

In short, he's honest, knowledgeable and cheap. And you don't get many of those these days.

I find it works only if I right click and open in a new tab. Maybe try that?

Ok thanks. I'm on my phone now but will try this evening.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

Chris, that's great, thanks a lot! I'll email you my address etc in a minute.

HC, was planning on going to the next Bloomsbury Fair, so will definitely look out for the bargain trays!

Richtips, what charity did you buy them from? To be honest I don't have £75 to spend, but would be very keen to buy some cheaper bulk lots.

Tom - Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a (admittedly quite out of date) Spink Standard Catalogue so have been consulting that whenever possible :)

Hey, it was Clic.

Windows 7 and IE8

It MIGHT be IE ? Web designers used to code mainly for IE and any other browser had to take pot luck, but Firefox and Chrome are the main players now, with Safari on every iPhone and iPad, so IE is probably now a 'maverick' independent that plays - as it always has - by its own rules. Try Firefox or Chrome, and you may find it works fine. FWIW I'm using Safari 5 on an Intel Core i5 iMac.

Windows 7 and IE8

It MIGHT be IE ? Web designers used to code mainly for IE and any other browser had to take pot luck, but Firefox and Chrome are the main players now, with Safari on every iPhone and iPad, so IE is probably now a 'maverick' independent that plays - as it always has - by its own rules. Try Firefox or Chrome, and you may find it works fine. FWIW I'm using Safari 5 on an Intel Core i5 iMac.

Alternatively, you can always try the compatibility mode on IE to see if that helps. It's located here;

(The little a4 page torn in half)

post-8244-0-21623700-1395658673_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

Boot sales can be good for bargains. I recently bought three george 4 shillings for 2quid! They were in fine condition.

Boot sales can be good for bargains. I recently bought three george 4 shillings for 2quid! They were in fine condition.

Blimey - the silver alone's worth more than that!

(Just noticed - my 7777th post!!)

Edited by Peckris

I did one a few years back

£300 for a lot of effort.

It will not happen again

Plus my daughters thought dinner was included....and commission

Yep mugged again...but hey that is life :)

I did one a few years back

£300 for a lot of effort.

It will not happen again

Whaaaat??? I love car boot sales! Nothing beats sellin for all intents and purposes what I would otherwise class as "junk" and chuck, for peanuts and then afterwards, totting it all up and having £100 + but then, this time next year Rodders... ?