British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
rpeddie

Best Way To Sell Decimal Stuff

Just picking your brains if you don't mind :D

Basically i have a complete set of proof sets from 1971 to 2010 as well as a complete set of £5 coins from 1990 to 2013(from my humble beginnings of coin collecting so forgive me :P ) and was wondering what the best way to sell them would be.

i have thought about putting them as auction on ebay but the prices seem to vary so much and using an auction house for this seems to be even worse than ebay.

wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing and what would be the best way about going about this was?

sell them as a lot on ebay (Buy it Now separating the £5 and proof sets) or individually?

thanks for any help with this, been clogging up my house for 2 years now :rolleyes:

I don't think there is an easy way around it! I reckon the best way to maximise the money from decimals is probably to break the sets up and sell the coins individually, but that's a massive lot of work for the sake of a load of coins worth not much more than face value.

I'd probably be interested in the £5 coins. Are they all in their card packages or just loose and BU? In the card packages I can pay £6.50 each and if loose then £5.50. I sell them for £8 - £10 and have all the images already so that saves time. For proof sets: dealers I know usually value them at face and a half. I try to avoid them as they're bulky! In saying that though, I did ok with some 1980s BU sets in Germany the other month so perhaps you could talk me into it.

thanks for your help :) have thought about breaking them up but nowhere near got that much time to do all that work think ill just sell individual sets :P

the £5 coins unfortunately are all loose in capsules so reducing their value a bit.

thanks for your help again

You could always break up sets from 1972 to 1982 - their packaging was inferior and their secondary value as sets is pretty derisory. On the other hand, those years contain quite a few 'set only' coins so you'd make quite a decent markup on them. (Though you might get a decent price for the 1972 set.)

After 1983, when the packaging improved, the issue price rose, and the secondary value is higher, I agree it's not worth it.

A contact of mine that normally buys books said:

1971-1982 4.00 quid each as long as they have there outers
depends on if there red or blue
prices are as follows
up til 2004 without a 5 pound coin i will pay 5.50 each
with the five pound coin i will pay 11.00, the 1989 i will pay 11 for aswell
after 2004 i will pay 15-20 pound per set.

prices are as follows

A bit more for the 2009 I imagine!

Edited by Paulus

prices are as follows

Presumably this means the coloured card containing the year and RM logo etc? I only ask, because I once encountered a nutter at the Midland who claimed he wasn't interested in any proof set that didn't also have its plain white (outer outer) box. As far as he was concerned, a set wasn't complete without it. :rolleyes:

Oh right, yes I've had them before in the white envelopes. I had a few 1970 sets still sealed in the white envelopes.

I imagine my contact means the normal outer coloured card. And if 2009 contains more in face value then I suspect that was an oversight and that he'd pay more for it.

He's very reliable. If they were mine, that's where I'd send them (and I'm not making anything out of it).

The reason I suggest more for the 2009 is that it contains the Kew 50p, which are still fetching much more than a few weeks ago (although not as much as that crazy weekend after the RM announcement!)

Good point, I'd forgotten about that one already! May be an idea to put the 2009 set on ebay.