British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dannymik

British shilling from east africa 1950

Guest dannymik

:huh: hello people iv recently aquired a 1950 british east african coin.its a one shilling coin and has a lion on one side and king george on the other.

:huh: i also have in my possesion a couple of British two shilling coins dated 1963 & 1956.

:huh: ontop of that iv got a one penny coin dated 1920.

:huh: and finally iv acquired a one Rupie coin from german east africa dated 1905 with Emperor Guilelmus II on it but have failed to get any info about it so far.can any body help me with weblinks etc.

any info bout histories and values would be most appreciated.

cheers

dan

Dear Dan,

Research has led me to the following info:

The 1950 East African Shilling is made of Cupro Nickel, and is one of 56,362,000 (that's a lot!). It is only worth GBP2.00 in Uncirculated condition, and really just pennies in any lesser grade I'm afraid.

British East Africa consisted (it no longer exists) of Kenya, Parts of Tanzania, Zanzibar, Uganda and part of Somalia.

The GB Coins are nothing that special and you should see my lists of coins for sale on the site (www.predecimal.com) or better still, buy this book:

http://www.predecimal.com/books/ccgb2004framed.htm

The Deutsch Ostafrika coin is one of 1,300,000 and will show either a J or A mintmark. Both are worth around GBP10.00 in Fine condition, right up to GBP90.00 if the coin is uncirculated. German East Africa is now Tanganyika, sanwiched between Kenya to the North and Mozambique to the South.

Thank you,

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest dannymik

cheers chris,

that was pretty much the info i was looking for.

Dan