British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

2014 Britannia/lunar Horse Mules

If I was a cynic, I would say the die setter at Llantrisant has a knowledge of mules and is throwing out the odd pairs for a laugh. Too many errors have crept in of late.

I would say the die se......

If they would stop producing this crap, they wouldn't make so many mistakes.

• Like 1

Not hard to find. Ebay is littered with them, starting at around £99. Quite why anybody would think them rare when they are all over the site when you put in the search term '2014 Britannia' I really don't know.

Edited by DaveG38

Now that's a bit of a coincidence isn't it. I'd much rather have a gold plated mule though. That would really be something.

I've said this before somewhere, but I don't know which is the worst scenario: A) The RM are about the sloppiest mint in the world and are careless enough to get die pairs mixed on far too many occasions. Or B )To generate interest for their desperate plethora of new coin products, they throw in the odd mule for good measure.

And what about the legality of mules? Coins are approved obviously, before being created and struck. If they are wrong, then surely they are not legal tender unless something is amended in law that describes the error and renders them legal tender?

Actually, who knows about law? Who wants to make it their task to look into the Coinage Act and find out exactly what is required to make a coin legal tender. In early January of this year the RM stated that coins £5 and down were legal tender. At some point in mid January they changed it to include their new £20 coin, but there was still no mention of the £50, £10, £1000 and £100 coins, which all exist. Surely it's really not as easy as the RM stating that something is legal tender and that suddenly makes it legal tender?

I want to separate the real coins from the medallions.