British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

dave-lowe

Damaged 1755 Half Guinea (Mis-Placed 5?)

Bought from a well known auction site. One would expect this piece to weigh at least 2g, but it only weighs 1.7g. It was sold as a metal detecting find - the cut looks as if it was done a long time ago.

The first 5 of the date looks as if it may be over a mis-placed 5. Surely it must be a genuine piece, but why does it only weigh 1.7g?

post-8294-0-58157600-1394722401_thumb.jp

post-8294-0-81927700-1394722889_thumb.jp

Bought from a well known auction site. One would expect this piece to weigh at least 2g, but it only weighs 1.7g. It was sold as a metal detecting find - the cut looks as if it was done a long time ago.

The first 5 of the date looks as if it may be over a mis-placed 5. Surely it must be a genuine piece, but why does it only weigh 1.7g?

They could have spared a thought for his face!

If it's a half guinea it ought to weigh closer to 3g. That suggests it isn't gold.

At first, I was unsure whether it is gold or not. I have examined it carefully and there is no sign of corrosion. I agree, it should weigh about 3g, so I'm really not sure. Looks like a genuine metal detecting find that appears to have been lost a long time ago, but if it was counterfeit, surely it would have some corrosion or staining.

Gold??? I have NEVER seen gold that's dark green. Remember, gold doesn't tarnish or corrode.

It might be "Blackadder" gold as made by Percy and featured as the "finest green".

Then again it might be a fake that someone threw away knowing it was base metal - that would account for it being a detector find as well wouldn't it?

Most normal people don't run around throwing bits of scrap gold all around the place, well not unless they want to be sectioned anyways

Edited by copper123

Lol copper123 i remember that very Episode "i've made the finest green" this was when Edmond was skint and tricked the archbishop into bed with Baldrick hahah,

Great Comedy

Not a nice experience , waking up with baldrick

A sheep might be preferable LOL

There's some very pretty sheep around us. I'd better not mention the lambs or I shall be accused of being a lambophile. Mint sauce. Baaaaah!

Yep i had a long weekend break last weekend and was quite pleased to see many lambs out there.

I think i saw a red kite feeding on a placenta in a field as well - not a pleasant site.

No. He had a thingie shaped like a turnip if I recall ... :lol:

Yes but that was eventually eaten, remember?! :D

Edited by Nordle11

Someone got close enough to eat him?? :o

My thingy is shaped like a thingy and not a turnip - well that's my opinion anyway.LOL

By the way did anyone see that news story about the guy being found by the side of a road with his thingy removed- wwwioooo nasty

Haha no, your original post should have been "No. He had a turnip shaped like a thingie". And it's that what was eaten :P

My thingy is shaped like a thingy and not a turnip - well that's my opinion anyway.LOL

By the way did anyone see that news story about the guy being found by the side of a road with his thingy removed- wwwioooo nasty

I saw that as I left work yesterday, what the hell?! Apparently a 22 year-old guy was arrested at the scene...

With a knife?

With a knife?

I'm not sure, that's all I heard..

A knife in one hand and a thingy in a plastic bag in the other - CAUGHT RED HANDED LITERALLY.

Haha no, your original post should have been "No. He had a turnip shaped like a thingie". And it's that what was eaten :P

It was actually much funnier than that! :

Percy:  Well, My Lord, while Baldrick and I were preparing the Turnip	Surprise, *we* had a surprise -- we came across a turnip that was	exactly the same shape...as a thingy! 	[Percy and Baldrick laugh.] Edmund:  [not amused]  ...a thingy... Baldrick:  ...a great big thingy!  It was terrific. Edmund:  Size is no guarantee of quality, Baldrick.  Most horses are very	 well endowed, but that does not necessarily make them sensitive	 lovers.  I trust you have removed this hilarious item...? Baldrick:  Oh, yes, yes, My Lord. Edmund:  Good, because there's nothing more likely to stop an inheritance	 than a thingy-shaped turnip. Percy:  Absolutely, Edmund.  ...but it was jolly funny!  [laughs more] Edmund:  Yes, yes, yes... Baldrick:  I found it particularly ironic, My Lord, because I've got	   a thingy that's shaped like a turnip!
Edited by Peckris

It was actually much funnier than that! :

Percy:  Well, My Lord, while Baldrick and I were preparing the Turnip	Surprise, *we* had a surprise -- we came across a turnip that was	exactly the same shape...as a thingy! 	[Percy and Baldrick laugh.] Edmund:  [not amused]  ...a thingy... Baldrick:  ...a great big thingy!  It was terrific. Edmund:  Size is no guarantee of quality, Baldrick.  Most horses are very	 well endowed, but that does not necessarily make them sensitive	 lovers.  I trust you have removed this hilarious item...? Baldrick:  Oh, yes, yes, My Lord. Edmund:  Good, because there's nothing more likely to stop an inheritance	 than a thingy-shaped turnip. Percy:  Absolutely, Edmund.  ...but it was jolly funny!  [laughs more] Edmund:  Yes, yes, yes... Baldrick:  I found it particularly ironic, My Lord, because I've got	   a thingy that's shaped like a turnip!

Ah yes I remember now!! Classic episode, that's also the one where he has the drinking party in the other room at the same time as the dinner party. And I'm pretty sure he locks the Queen in the cupboard for the whole time too!

• Like 1

Think she needs locking in a cupboard as well the annoying cow - or was that nursie