British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

dave-lowe

Is This The Rare Gratta Error Variety?

This Charles II Half Crown certainly looks like the rare variety of this date, which reads GRATTA in error. Because it is so worn, it's difficult to be precise. I have looked under a glass, and I can see what looks like the tops of two T's, but is it a "trick of the light" which makes it appear so?

Look at both A's and you can see a difference in size to the horizontal bar. I have looked at an angle, and there is a definite bulge where the serif of the "T's" are.

I have been collecting over 30 years, and would welcome any comments.

post-8294-0-76690000-1394633374_thumb.jp

post-8294-0-81099300-1394633595_thumb.jp

It looks like a T, but the grade isn't the best. Attached is what Spink had to say about Adams 346.img310_zpsa5dddb72.jpg

I think the jury is out until a good well struck example is available.

Edited by Rob

Very interesting article. Mine certainly does look like the first coin pictured, and it is dated 1679 (couldn't post a picture of the Reverse); the uprights of the letters before the last A look the same as mine. I know it's not in very good condition, but I bought it with THREE other Charles II coins for less than £60; the other two coins are pierced, but it's still incredible value. There is a Sixpence 1678 over 7 and a Twopence of 1679 [the figure before the 9 is flat, but I think it is a 7].

It certainly looks like a T - and the second "T" (i.e. the "I") is much clearer than the first.