British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Oh the old "evil eye" I never understood why wearing such a creepy looking object was good luck. Surely though you would have a lucky sixpence or Mercury dime in your possession?

Those angel gold coins look very nice though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_(coin)

Get yourself one. They are still affordable. :) Get a holed one used as a touchpiece and the price drops by a half or more. I like them.

Hello Debbie. I don't recall Warhammer 40,000

Oh dear, yes sorry Patrick for hijacking your thread! I vaguely remember you talking about you painting war hammer figures when you were sorting out your bedroom or something along those lines I could (and still can) relate to the mess as my son is an avid collector.

Richard I love the idea that you actually wear that touch piece. I have quite a few love token broaches pinned to various garments / hats and the like. They are almost always commented on – they all have a story to tell! :)

Rob - so, do you have one for sale? :rolleyes:

I have angels both pierced and intact but sadly, none for sale at the moment.

I have quite a few love token broaches pinned to various garments / hats and the like. They are almost always commented on – they all have a story to tell! :)

I do think it's nice to wear these things occasionally! I particularly like this painting of the Infanta Maria Ana. (Sorry it's on Shutterstock) You can see she's wearing various 'apotropaic' amulets including crucifixes, a relic of her patron saint, badger claws, a jet 'fica mana' and a malachite and coral teether for protection.

http://www.superstock.com/stock-photos-images/4409-19379

Interesting that Nordle noticed that my dime is from a leap year (the last leap year of issue)! :D

And Andrew Howitt has a touchpiece for sale Debbie. Though not in my price range. http://www.bottles.freeserve.co.uk/Charles-II.htm

Edited by TomGoodheart

WOW!

WOW!

I think you can get a commoner one for about half that though. London coins sold a couple for £650 +commission.

Brings a whole new meaning to 'touching history' eh?

Interesting that Nordle noticed that my dime is from a leap year (the last leap year of issue)! :D

Well I'd not heard of touch pieces before reading through this thread, so after a little familiarisation I found that, of the Mercury Dimes, the leap years were meant to be particularly lucky and more sought after than the other years. I also read how they were looped through red ribbon or string of some sort so it's good to see you've kept tradition! :)

You want a proper touchpiece, not the milled ones. A bit of 'ammered gold with an 'ole

005-3_zpsb3ca75b2.jpg

:)

Edited by Rob

Nice - and you can see just where its been touched the most.

Nordie - I am constantly learning new things about coins too!

Nice - and you can see just where its been touched the most.

Nordie - I am constantly learning new things about coins too!

Tell me about it, I've only been collecting for about 2-3 years.. I have A LOT to learn.

Not that I just want to skip learning part and know it all, the journey is always more fruitfull than the destination!

I like to carry around a flint arrow head.With close fitting jeans you have to take a bit of time.Ouch. :)

And I take it that the charm has been working well for you Peter! :rolleyes:

The Token has been pictured. However, you'll probably have to zoom out to 25%. Sorry

... :unsure:

photo2_zps69ca37f5.jpg

photo3_zps76132903.jpg

I have a nice liverpool halfpenny with a sailing ship on it its in great grade too

:unsure: is it bad?

Edited by Hello17

No, I wouldn't say that (though the photographs are a bit out of focus). From what I can see, I would say Fine, and perfectly respectable. However, at that grade it would have to be rare to be worth anything much.

No, I wouldn't say that (though the photographs are a bit out of focus). From what I can see, I would say Fine, and perfectly respectable. However, at that grade it would have to be rare to be worth anything much.

They seem to sell for around £20 in similar conditions on Ebay. I need better photos first.