British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bronze mad

Help Please To Identify An Ancient Coin

Hi everyone.

I can't seem to identify this coin, I'm new to the forum and have had difficulties uploading photos as well.

It is about the size of a modern Farthing, and appears to be struck in copper, I don't have any experience in ancients at all,

I think its roman, and on the rev there seems to be a figure standing on a boat, with a bird in its hand, I cannot read/ understand any legends on this coin either.

post-8278-0-40008600-1394138283_thumb.jp

post-8278-0-94958200-1394138289_thumb.jp

Think it might be Constantinus II,AE3,

This is the closest I've found.

post-8217-0-47378200-1394146748_thumb.jp

Here's the legend & description

Constantius II AE3. CONSTANT-IVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, Emperor in military dress standing on galley moving left, holding phoenix on globe and labarum. Victory sitting at the stern, steering the ship,

JPK, are you well versed on English Roman silver coins, if so I would like to run a couple by you?

Hi paulus,I'm very much work in progress,I'm prob.a bit better on the early republican,bit I enjoy trying to ID & the more I do the more I learn,so post them up ,I'm sure someone will ID them.

JPK, are you well versed on English Roman silver coins, if so I would like to run a couple by you?

Pop 'em up here. We'll do our best. I have some experience with Roman though far from expert.

Well Peck it was currency when you were growing up. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well Peck it was currency when you were growing up. :rolleyes:

True - we'd got around to money by then. No-one remembered the mammoth tusks of YOUR youth. ;)

• Like 1

thanks JPK, it does look like it is Constantius II from the scan you have provided,, the rev looks the same, the Obv is slightly different, the locks of hair at the neck are laying away, I take it that there are different die varieties,

Another question, what denomination is it?

thanks JPK, it does look like it is Constantius II from the scan you have provided,, the rev looks the same, the Obv is slightly different, the locks of hair at the neck are laying away, I take it that there are different die varieties,

Another question, what denomination is it?

If it's the size of a bronze farthing I'd say it's an AE4. The AE3 was very small, but confusingly there is an AE3/4 too. Those small late Empire bronzes didn't have an actual denomination name IIRC.

Hi Peckris, it is about 22mm in diameter,

Pop 'em up here. We'll do our best. I have some experience with Roman though far from expert.

Okay well I have 2 silver Roman coins, they are both the same size. I have a few ideas about what they are, but I won't say anything about them, I'll just wait for any comments!

1st coin:

Sabin_Obv01_zps38fe5b87.png

Sabin_Rev01_zpsa3aeab02.png

Second one is -

Julius Caesar. 49-48 BC. AR Denarius. CAESAR in exergue, elephant right, trampling on serpent / Simpulum, sprinkler, axe and priest's hat. Cr443/1; Syd 1006; BMCRR (Gaul) 27.

post-8217-0-58488700-1394230003_thumb.jp

Second one is -

Julius Caesar. 49-48 BC. AR Denarius. CAESAR in exergue, elephant right, trampling on serpent / Simpulum, sprinkler, axe and priest's hat. Cr443/1; Syd 1006; BMCRR (Gaul) 27.

Thanks JPK, I have that as S 456 seeing as it's pictured in Spink! what does AR mean, silver? Looks like I have pictured the reverse (?) upside down! Just over 2,050 years old!

Yes,your reverse is upside down,AR is silver.

First one is

Roman Republican, L. Titurius L.f. Sabinus, AR Denarius, 89 BC, Rome

SABIN | A P V

Bare head of Tatius right, King of the Sabines, palm in right field, banker's mark above

(No legend)

Two Roman soldiers each carrying a woman in his arms

L TITVRI in exergue

Tituria 3; Crawford 344/1c; Sydenham 698b

post-8217-0-56909700-1394230891_thumb.jp

Yes,your reverse is upside down,AR is silver.

First one is

Roman Republican, L. Titurius L.f. Sabinus, AR Denarius, 89 BC, Rome

SABIN | A P V

Bare head of Tatius right, King of the Sabines, palm in right field, banker's mark above

(No legend)

Two Roman soldiers each carrying a woman in his arms

L TITVRI in exergue

Tituria 3; Crawford 344/1c; Sydenham 698b

Fantastic, thanks JPK, I had been told that it 'commemorates' the 'rape of the Sabine women' by Roman soldiers?

Where would be the best place to sell them and what would be their approx value, any idea?

I haven't got a clue on values mate,although I suspect the sabinus isn't worth much,the Caesar is far more desirable Can't advise on selling either as I haven't done much of it,I would of thought some on here can advise you.

hi,just looking at the top two coins,the obv's are different as in the lettering,bronze mad the tail end of head dress look's to be pointing to an 'n' of nstan and the last 'n' in line with the crown of the head.As jpk's the tail end of the head dress points to a 't' of tant and the last 't' is just below the crown.would i be right

Yes they're different obverses shamo,I added that pic as it was the closest match I could find at the time,

yep they're slightly different, the first thing I noticed was the locks of hair at the neck, they are differently arranged,

I've never studied ancients before, even after nearly forty years of collecting! but I'm quite facsinated by this coin I have,

its worn, looks like it been 'dug', but is centrally struck, and still collectible I suppose.

I would like to say thanks to everyone for spending time to answer my questions, much appreciated,

Constantius II ruled for about 20yrs, so in that time many a coin was minted! and there would have been more than one moneyer producing

coins, so there must be different die types,

Yes, Constantine, Constantius and Constans bronzes are plentiful, and would be a good entry point for someone wanting to start a collection of Roman bronze.

Hi guys, before I started getting into coins on a more serious level, I picked up these two roman coins. I don't even know where to begin when it comes to identifying them, is anyone able to advise. Also, do you have an idea of value as I'll probably look to sell.

Cheers, rich

post-8231-0-20749000-1396212758_thumb.jp

Get yourself a couple of books

Predecimal have a couple of learners books (bronze/silver) for a pittance.

The silver coin is a Trajan denarius in about Fine grade.

The bronze I would need to spend more time looking at the legend (not now, it's bedtime), but my quick first impression is that it looks to be a follis or small bronze (AE3 or AE4) of somewhere round about Constantine's era. It's in decent condition - I'd say GVF minimum.

Edited by Peckris