British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Paypal Ffs

So I won a Cuban Peso in an auction. Rather than pay £25 to send an IBAN transfer I chose to use PayPal. 4% supplement from the sellers.

PayPal suspended the transaction and sent me an email asking

1. Purpose of payment 43RXXXXXX560J attempted on 03 March 2014 in

the amount of £XX.XX, including a complete and detailed explanation of the

goods or services you intended to purchase.

2. Explanation of "Cuba" in your transaction memo.

What the *uck. :angry: Anybody have any idea what the problem is, given PayPal is incorporated in Luxembourg and there is no restriction (AFAIK) on buying goods from Cuba in the UK?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Richard

Don't take the Peso. ;)

There are a few discussions on US boards about this too. Because Cuba is persona non grata, or at least the Castro brothers are, buying any Cuban coin or anything else to do with Cuba in the US is possibly illegal(?). What ever, Paypal automatically block anything with Cuba in the title. Try again but this time buy a Caribbean coin after you've ok'd it with the seller. Paypal (and the US govt) are playing Big Brother. Don't let the buggers get you down. I guess you could really wind them up by saying something along the lines of 'Come on you revolutionaries!' :)

There are a few discussions on US boards about this too. Because Cuba is persona non grata, or at least the Castro brothers are, buying any Cuban coin or anything else to do with Cuba in the US is possibly illegal(?). What ever, Paypal automatically block anything with Cuba in the title. Try again but this time buy a Caribbean coin after you've ok'd it with the seller. Paypal (and the US govt) are playing Big Brother. Don't let the buggers get you down. I guess you could really wind them up by saying something along the lines of 'Come on you revolutionaries!' :)

The thing is I've already bought the coin. It was in an auction at a Spanish auction house and I now owe them the money.

I am in the UK. I don't understand why a company based in Luxembourg is making a fuss even if it is US policy to think Cuba doesn't exist.

Get them to cancel the transaction or you cancel it from your end and send them the money by Paypal without any mention of Cuba. Lot XXXX for example.They will go along with you as it means they get their money quicker, and if Paypal eventually release the funds, the seller will refund knowing the hassle involved. Have faith in humanity. As long as a human being is involved you have a chance. You can't argue with a bot.

The thing is I've already bought the coin. It was in an auction at a Spanish auction house and I now owe them the money.

I am in the UK. I don't understand why a company based in Luxembourg is making a fuss even if it is US policy to think Cuba doesn't exist.

Let the auction house know the situation...then go into PayPal, and just open up a "send money" tab...and send them the correct amount of the purchase, just as though your were just sending money to someone. Add a small note about the invoice number or something so they (Auction House) will know what the payment is for...don't use the name "Cuba." The Auction house can mark the item paid from the other end. A lot of extra keystrokes, but it gets the job done! :)

As far as I can tell the transaction is locked. I can barely view it, so I don't believe I can cancel it.

And I imagine even PayPal might work out if I send the same amount to the same people that it's to cover this purchase.

This is silly.

The thing is I've already bought the coin. It was in an auction at a Spanish auction house and I now owe them the money.I am in the UK. I don't understand why a company based in Luxembourg is making a fuss even if it is US policy to think Cuba doesn't exist.

Wikileaks is based in Sweden and the US GOVT has blocked any transactions to them those include Visa and paypal etc, the American Government really do think they own this Planet, sorry to our american friends on the forum, but it really Cheeseburger me off the way they think they run this planet of ours

As far as I can tell the transaction is locked. I can barely view it, so I don't believe I can cancel it.

And I imagine even PayPal might work out if I send the same amount to the same people that it's to cover this purchase.

This is silly.

I doubt it as long as you don't include the word Cuba. They aren't that intelligent. Sort something out with the auction house. If they are stopping transactions to a Spanish auctioneer, that's got sod all to do with Cuba

The thing is I've already bought the coin. It was in an auction at a Spanish auction house and I now owe them the money.I am in the UK. I don't understand why a company based in Luxembourg is making a fuss even if it is US policy to think Cuba doesn't exist.

Wikileaks is based in Sweden and the US GOVT has blocked any transactions to them those include Visa and paypal etc, the American Government really do think they own this Planet, sorry to our american friends on the forum, but it really Cheeseburger me off the way they think they run this planet of ours

Its ok, I'm ashamed of "my" government. But, I didn't elect them :D

I didn't either Generic...I'm with you! :rolleyes:

Lol, i just noticed that my ipad included the word cheeseburger me off, which in Narnian dialect and any bloody other English should have read "Cheese me off" i swear i'm gonna Launch this ipad into Space soon with my foot at the end of it

Lol, i just noticed that my ipad included the word cheeseburger me off, which in Narnian dialect and any bloody other English should have read "Cheese me off" i swear i'm gonna Launch this ipad into Space soon with my foot at the end of it

Turn off "word completion"...that should take care of it! Ha.Ha!

Haha! :D I sincerley thought you were just trying to coin your own phrase..

Haha! :D I sincerley thought you were just trying to coin your own phrase..

:lol: Me too! I thought it was your own euphemism for "b*ggered"...

I thought you were Americanising the phrase "Cheese me off" :D

Bloody ipad, it really does have a mind of its own

........and yet, I bought "industrial grade plutonium" off eBay and no problem paying with Paypal...oops

The other lot are worse!

...you can have Nick Clegg any time....what about if we swapped our UK Government with the Polish Government?....they'd work twice as hard for half the money.....voila, sorted !

Well my payment has been refused and I am to be reported to the US Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Not quite sure how that effects a non-US citizen. . But it certainly affects my willingness to use PayPal in future.

Going to have to try my Spanglish and phone the auction house and use my bank card. I decided that if it's so difficult to buy the things I'd better not pass up the chance! So in effect PayPal have encouraged me to pursue the purchase...

Ridiculous.

Well my payment has been refused and I am to be reported to the US Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Not quite sure how that effects a non-US citizen. . But it certainly affects my willingness to use PayPal in future.

Going to have to try my Spanglish and phone the auction house and use my bank card. I decided that if it's so difficult to buy the things I'd better not pass up the chance! So in effect PayPal have encouraged me to pursue the purchase...

Ridiculous.

Jeez Tom....what end of the telescope are these people looking down?...talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...they clearly have no sense of perspective...tend to agree with Azda that the US think they own the planet when in fact its really the Chinese....

I think it's that PayPal are afraid of action by OFAC. The articles I read suggest that at the same time there are more moves to drop the embargo OFAC have said they are beefing up their prosecutions of any breaches. Up to 1 million USD corporate fines.

Basically it feels like it's a petty policy that's out of control. Particularly as ebay is full of items that simply get round it by using the term "Caribbean" or "Republic" instead of Cuba. I just made the mistake of using the listing description in my PayPal message to the auctioneers.

Edited by TomGoodheart

I assume Iran is also on their list. any others?

Could try buying that IOM crown with a Persian cat design

:)

I bet Cuba Gooding Junior has a nightmare trying to use paypal :D