British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colliewalker1

SEPTIMU SEVERUS SILVER DENARIUS AD 194

Well, let's chuck a brick in the pond everybody :rolleyes:

It seems to me [and I am only a beginner]that a coin shows two kinds of surface deterioration [a] aging/toning - silver for example can darken considerably with oxidisation darkening due to an acumulation of dirt:the effect can be to make the coin look quite unattractive.

I can understand an objection to polishing away the aging/toning but not to removing the dirt - perhaps accumulated over a century or two.Even with polishing it can be argued that it is a 'plus' to see the coin as bright and shiny as it was when new. Otherwise why pay a premium for a BU coin?

Cleaning improves the contrast effect of the engraving(if that's the right word)and surely the more one is able to admire the engraver's work the better.... :D

So far as the reduction in value attributed to cleaning is concerned that doesn't concern me - I don't anticipate reselling - I just want to admire the coins I have :rolleyes:

I will now prepare for some more bricks - directed towards me!!!!

If you have a really dirty coin that looks horrible, then use soap and water perhaps. If it still looks awful, then keep it until you can find a better example.

If you polish it, it'll be hairlined and worth a fraction of whatever you paid for it. (Which is pretty silly, unless of course all of your coins will be bought for 20p each)

Collectors go through many runs of upgrading before they feel comfortable with a particular coin, that's what you need to do. Don't ruin them for future generations, polished coins look awful. They look artificial, they get hairlined and they never get back to how they were.

If you want one that looks nice, save up, don't buy rubbish and buy coins that have remained shiny looking from new. You pay a premium for a BU coin because it's escaped being ruined by a bloody idiot in the past.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do with any coins you may own, but please, don't be a pleb!

• Like 1