British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colliewalker1

SEPTIMU SEVERUS SILVER DENARIUS AD 194

"stunning EF", AD 194...

That is one of the reasons that i do not trust eBay...even though i have bought from the seller (curlietailz) before with no probs.

It's nothing to do with "trusting" eBay - it's the sellers in whom you must place your trust. They have given high definition photographs and you should grade the coin yourself, and only use the grade they give as a guide. Also, there is no reason not to trust a person with so high a feedback rating.

I know nothing on Roman coins, so I don't even know if EF can be applied, but it looks in stunning condition. Also, it looks like it was previously gilded, as there are hints of gold around the obverse edge beading, between 9 and 12 o'clock. The figure on the reverse also has a gold haze around the edges.

Buy it if you like it!

I must admit, I love the portraits on ancient greek coins.

Athenian Owls! :D

it looks like it was previously gilded, as there are hints of gold around the obverse edge beading, between 9 and 12 o'clock. The figure on the reverse also has a gold haze around the edges.

I think it's the way the toning has reflected from the light (be it camera light or scanner light).

On checking the Ebay site I find that there were NO bids on this coin and nobody took up the 'Buy It Now' option.

I'm very surprised that not one Roman coin enthusiast emerged to buy this one.....

The reference to GREEK coins in some of the replies here puzzle me :unsure:

111102-3.jpg

An Athenian Owl, what HPJ and Syl were talking about

Beautiful owl, especially in such high grade!

Edited by Half Penny Jon

Regarding the original posting where it is said that the coin appears to have been just minted in Rome...

I have 2 coins......Faustina ll. AD 161-180

Septimus Severus. AD197-8

Dug them out of the ground myself in Shropshire....Both equally as good as the coin depicted on e-bay.

Regarding the original posting where it is said that the coin appears to have been just minted in Rome...

What an exciting find - do you often find coins like that. :rolleyes:

Any chance of posting images here of the two you mention

I will do scans sometime over the weekend and post them.

They are the only 2 roman silver I have found in 15yrs, but have a nice Charles 1st penny.

Henry Vlll Groat 1529 in stunning condition.

Had 3 Coins of Edward 1st and 2nd, but they went for Treasure Trove...Valuation Committee

awarded me £35 for the 3...Half went to the farmer...Now on display in Swansea Museum.

A nice George 1st. Shilling 1723. SSC.

& several other hammered and early milled coins, but quite worn.

Scans attached......Coins not cleaned, as found,& scanned thru plastic of protecting coin holder but you can get a good idea of condition.

post-3-1097356311_thumb.jpg

Scans attached......Coins not cleaned, as found,& scanned thru plastic of protecting coin holder but you can get a good idea of condition.

These coins look in remarkable condition bearing in mind they are uncleaned and scanned through plastic.

The Treasure Trove Valuation Committee must have been feeling in a generous mood when they awarded you the magnificent sum of £35 for the Edward I and Edward II coins........ :rolleyes:

I am obviously a 'heretic' as regards cleaning - I like cleaned coins( :rolleyes: ) although these surprisingly, don't look particularly in need of it!

I am obviously a 'heretic' as regards cleaning - I like cleaned coins( :rolleyes: ) although these surprisingly, don't look particularly in need of it!

You obviously mean cleaned hammered coins, or coins that have had their dirt removed...you would not like a coin that has been highly cleaned from Fine to BU!

Tut tut JMD, how can you clean a coin from Fine - BU ? :blink:

Even the 'lustre' on a highly polished fine coin is different to the lustre on a BU coin.

highly cleaned from Fine to BU!

If I could polish some of my coins from fine to BU, I wouldn't think twice!

Tut tut JMD, how can you clean a coin from Fine - BU ? :blink:

Even the 'lustre' on a highly polished fine coin is different to the lustre on a BU coin.

I did a little test you see on a Fine, or Almost VF at best, 1965 penny...i used some bronze cleaner used for antiques and left it in a capsual...now the coin looks as good as new with the same amount of same coloured luster as my other BU pennies...

It probably depends on the cleaning method :)

It can't look as good as new if it was a fine. Polishing doesn't restore detail, it just makes it superficially shiny.

It can't look as good as new if it was a fine. Polishing doesn't restore detail, it just makes it superficially shiny.

I didn't say restoring the detail, i said

same amount of same coloured luster as my other BU pennies...
:)

You said it looked as good as new....

You said it looked as good as new....

i meant as good as new with the lustre...

...never mind :)