British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nordle11

Slabbed Coins

i could put my c**k in a slab and it would make MS69...

Slightly impaired. :ph34r:

I did'nt realise they could slab toothpicks Peter

It won't fit in a 2x2 and you would not like it on a wart for your nose.....used twice.......I think. :ph34r:

Here's one to send over to CGS/PCGS and ask them to slab it for you :D

Possible mint error?

:lol:

The amazing thing is - it passed through 000's of hands before anyone noticed anything wrong :D

No shipping outside the USA. Thank god for small mercies

i have a USA forwarding address if you want it that bad azda :P

Would like to know what you all think of slabbing in general! Im at a point whether to go more towards it so my customers know my coins are is 99/% real or not. I have a customer who will not buy anything slabbed because he likes to hold and feel the coin and another who only wants slabbed but then when he receives them takes it out but has he tells me he then is sure he has a collection of real coins. I have noticed London coin Auctions are selling more and more of them in there sales. I would value your views.

There's another thread regarding fakes and how some TPGs are still grading them as genuine and slabbing them.

Your buyer should be aware that because a coin is slabbed then it doesn't necessarily make it genuine, plus he is probably paying a premium to get the coin in a slab just to remove it again.

Personally, slabs don't work for me because they don't work with my storage methods, I also agree with your first buyer, I prefer to hold the coin too.

(n.b. London coins and CGS are one and the same which is why they have so many slabbed coins in their auctions)

Edited by Nordle11

Everyone needs a vibrator...as Mrs Peter will tell.

I can't perform as a 21 year old.....I may take a bit longer.

Not even subtle anymore Peter! :D

I thought that was subtle for Peter.

Everyone needs a vibrator...as Mrs Peter will tell.

I can't perform as a 21 year old.....I may take a bit longer.

Not even subtle anymore Peter! :D

I thought that was subtle for Peter.

Peter, don't you mean a 21 year old will take a bit longer. :rolleyes:

I have recently been putting together a few pennies .These are to be put away for my grandaughter for twenty years.The main thing is i have spent about thirty thousand choosing the best grades and given me an interest and hopefully hold there value.For the cost of spending an extra few pound it gives me peace of mind,that when i am not here and she opens the safe would like to no she has a quality collection.Would like to also express my thanks to niell paisley who has helped me to put the collection together and the last ten coins just received back from cgs all graded 80/82/85 were just as he said and spot on.Buy from a reputable dealer and wont go far wrong.I buy the coin and not always the slab but a lot of the ones over £500 nice to have the best ones about knowing they are ok and give my grandaughter a few quid.

I have recently been putting together a few pennies .These are to be put away for my grandaughter for twenty years.The main thing is i have spent about thirty thousand choosing the best grades and given me an interest and hopefully hold there value.For the cost of spending an extra few pound it gives me peace of mind,that when i am not here and she opens the safe would like to no she has a quality collection.Would like to also express my thanks to niell paisley who has helped me to put the collection together and the last ten coins just received back from cgs all graded 80/82/85 were just as he said and spot on.Buy from a reputable dealer and wont go far wrong.I buy the coin and not always the slab but a lot of the ones over £500 nice to have the best ones about knowing they are ok and give my grandaughter a few quid.

I hope you will also leave instructions as to how to realise the true value of the coins.

Of course gary . If i am not about her mum is a lot sharper than me and knows how much i paid for each coin

Nice that you've got a spare 30 grand knocking about to spend on coins. Would that we were all in such a happy position. :(

Dont suppose the money is ever really spare peck ,however dont really have an issue in buying something i consider an assett .I worked hard to make a few quid and retired at forty.Although my health is not the best happy to buy and enjoy collecting coins.Be lucky.The point i suppose i am making is yes got the money ,but alot of the time would prefer to feel well everyday.

Thinking on the overall tone of your post, makes me think about the number of quality collections that are dispersed of by unknowing inheritants!

Even the coins I hold today would only likely achieve 1/2 or less of what they are worth, should they be left to my wife to ignorantly dispose of them!

An asset of this nature has real value in the hand of the informed but, for example, what would a genuine £50,000 collection, comprising of say 2000 coins, at £25 per piece, be worth in a couple of old albums, distributed in ignorance by unenlightened dependants?

I've already told my wife who to contact on the forum should I meet an untimely end, for both hammered AND milled! :)

Should anyone receive a 2kg parcel of coins, with a tear-stained letter from my beloved, please feel free to post a very nice obituary here about me...and look after her and my son's interest!

Nice guy...you know the kind of thing????? :D

Edited by Coinery

It's very important to (honestly) record your collection for the reasons outlined above. Price paid, catalogue values and likely market values are all useful info for inheritors who may or may not want to retain the collection. As long as you keep them informed of what you have and also the reasons for it, they will be better prepared for a situation they would rather do without.

If the kids are interested- good. Educate them as much as you can as it is in their interests to be fully informed. I do my best to keep the wife and kids informed about the latest acquisition, even if I know it might result in some ear-ache. The last thing I want them to do is find a collection which means nothing, otherwise there would be a good chance they would look at the two 1923 shillings for example and decide the silver one, being bullion, is 'obviously worth more' than the nickel one. Not a good starting point. Every coin in the collection has a file with all the relevant points including notes relating to conditional or absolute rarity (e.g. second best of seven recorded examples, or unique, as appropriate). Provenances are also listed along with images of the coin and any tickets that accompany it.

At the moment, if I pop my clogs, there would not be any immediate plan to dispose of the collection, which is good as it means they could sit down and approach it rationally rather than tidying up the loose ends as quickly as possible. Having said that, things could always change.

Rob

My inheritors are all ears...some more than others.My eldest has an interest in fossils (beware Peck).

We are only the keepers.I picked up some Roman coins with 1900 tickets...My passion to a fellow collector OK..but hey.

Dont suppose the money is ever really spare peck ,however dont really have an issue in buying something i consider an assett .I worked hard to make a few quid and retired at forty.Although my health is not the best happy to buy and enjoy collecting coins.Be lucky.The point i suppose i am making is yes got the money ,but alot of the time would prefer to feel well everyday.

As someone with progressive MS, I echo your point about health versus money. But it would be nice (or a compensation) to have at least one of those!

I understand peck ,collecting the pennies was just an interest and sometimes takes my mind off the negatives .Yes the money helps and i wish you well.

Neil must have a new Porsche by now. I don't think it matters how much you spend on your hobby, you buy what you can afford. My kids and brother all mock me saying i'm a geek but i'm the one smiling inside. I try and also keep the boss informed of what i've bought even though it bring's a tear to her eyes.

I keep saying its for the future and the amount i've spent this year would probably be equal to or, more than likely more than i'd put into a pension fund, my son is also disabled so i'm seeing myself spending more on coins than i'm saving in the Bank. As Long as we're still eating and the Bills are paid then whats left over will be put to good use, hence the reason i STILL ask certain peoples opinion on specific coins that interest me.

My records now consist of my scribblings on the Bill that comes with each coin purchase, maybe not the way to go but i find endless columns of book numbers etc pretty tedious right now.

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

Hi azda i must mention only about 10 k was spent with niel .Some have also been through auctions and michael gouby.I have not really bought them as an investment ,more an interest and if in twenty years time they are worth less atleast i enjoyed buying them .Sure your son is happy and thats more important than anything all the best and be lucky

Hi azda i must mention only about 10 k was spent with niel .Some have also been through auctions and michael gouby.I have not really bought them as an investment ,more an interest and if in twenty years time they are worth less atleast i enjoyed buying them .Sure your son is happy and thats more important than anything all the best and be lucky

He's definately a happy boy even though he has a Crazy Scottish father and a Crazy Turkish mother lol

Some nice posts here.

My parents have bought me coins (my choice) for birthday/Xmas for years.

I think I have done fairly well.

As long as you avoid mint issues and Westminster type rubbish you can't go wrong.

He's definately a happy boy even though he has a Crazy Scottish father and a Crazy Turkish mother lol

Could be worse Dave

I once met a Scots lass from Kenmore...talk about sharp tounged.Pretty as a picture but...I was out of there...and her mother....blimey.