British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nordle11

Slabbed Coins

I've never had any of my own coins slabbed, and never will, but is this sort of thing normal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1945-GEORGE-VI-PENNY-CGS-SLABBED-UNC-GRADE-/291087368403?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item43c628c0d3

If they sent back one of my coins and it turned up slabbed in that direction I'd ask for a refund..

Poor quality control in positioning the coin when assembling the slab. If they don't care what it looks like (irrespective of whether it is deemed to be worth a grade or not), why should anyone care about the service? It may be loose in the plastic insert, in which case poor quality control applies.

It begs belief really.. if it's not loose inside the insert (which like you say is just poor quality control) then it's common sense to position any coin upright in a slab!

I don't know how this could happen because their turnaround is 90 days and more than enough time to make sure the coin is Positionen correctly in the slab at least

Coins rotating in holders without prongs is fairly common. It can happen slowly over time, or in jostling of shipments.

What I find more humorous than the positioning of the coin in the holder (which doesn't really affect the coin at all IMO) is that they assigned a grade of "Verdigris UNC". As if "verdigris" is some sort of benign adjectival modifier for uncirculated. :huh:

• Like 1

The UIN number shows that the coin was only encapsulated recently and it won't even have the time to rotate. I think the CGS slabbing process can be sloppy and they need to be more careful with regard to slabbing in dust, foreign objects, scratching holders ...

The UIN number shows that the coin was only encapsulated recently and it won't even have the time to rotate. I think the CGS slabbing process can be sloppy and they need to be more careful with regard to slabbing in dust, foreign objects, scratching holders ...

I have had coins rotate in the holder from shipping alone. NGC images every coin it holders before it is shipped (a simple scan). So, it was easy to tell that it rotated after they put it in the mail, and it was fine before that. But, my earlier statement still holds -- I'm not sure what it really matters if the coin rotates a little in the holder. It's still the same coin, and it's protected in the plastic (which is the point of the slab). I will agree with you that a much bigger issue is when foreign materials are encased in the slab with the coin. Even scratched holders, while annoying, are just doing their job -- protecting the coin...and it's usually not the TPGs that scratch holders, it's the irresponsible dealers and collectors.

I have had coins rotate in the holder from shipping alone. NGC images every coin it holders before it is shipped (a simple scan). So, it was easy to tell that it rotated after they put it in the mail, and it was fine before that. But, my earlier statement still holds -- I'm not sure what it really matters if the coin rotates a little in the holder. It's still the same coin, and it's protected in the plastic (which is the point of the slab). I will agree with you that a much bigger issue is when foreign materials are encased in the slab with the coin. Even scratched holders, while annoying, are just doing their job -- protecting the coin...and it's usually not the TPGs that scratch holders, it's the irresponsible dealers and collectors.

The CGS holder uses a plastic washer which grips the coin tight. Hence I don't think a coin can rotate in that type of holder. The last coin I got back diretly from CGS was also in a scatched holder with a small crack.

My point is that sloppiness in the slabbing process doesn't inspire confidence in grading or on the handling of coins by a TPG. How can one be certain that a prized coin sent for slabbing will not result in a fingerprint or a carbon spot appearing a year or two in the future?

Just purely information,if you have an electric toothbrush or something with a strong vibrating motor you can rotate the coin.Holding it to the left or right side rotates it in different directions,not sure if it works on CGS slabs.It will work for the american holders.

• Like 1

Well I've just received my first slabbed coin.

Not by design; I saw a nice 1927 wreath crown at a website at a fair price and it just happened to be slabbed in an NGC holder.

I must admit I am not as put-off as I thought I would be about the slab.

I was planning to extract the coin immediately but the holder seems to protect the coin well (I'm sure a 5 year old could fling it against a wall with no damage to the coin) with good visibility of the coin and the rims/edges. The holder itself is not unattractive.

My only dilemma now is that i was planning to have my crowns in large adhesive flips lined up in a coin album page so will now have to rethink what I am going to do....

It's a nice coin the wreath crown, nice design both sides.

cheers

Garrett.

I have bought some slabbed coins but I keep them away from my trays (obvious reason)I always buy the coin and not the grade.

I can't fault PCGS or NGC on grading I have MS63 to 65 and all of them are spanking coins.

Well I've just received my first slabbed coin.

Not by design; I saw a nice 1927 wreath crown at a website at a fair price and it just happened to be slabbed in an NGC holder.

I must admit I am not as put-off as I thought I would be about the slab.

I was planning to extract the coin immediately but the holder seems to protect the coin well (I'm sure a 5 year old could fling it against a wall with no damage to the coin) with good visibility of the coin and the rims/edges. The holder itself is not unattractive.

My only dilemma now is that i was planning to have my crowns in large adhesive flips lined up in a coin album page so will now have to rethink what I am going to do....

It's a nice coin the wreath crown, nice design both sides.

cheers

Garrett.

I can, in all honesty, say that in several decades of collecting, no 5 year old has ever flung my coins against a wall...

I'll continue to stay away from slabs ... for now :)

• Like 1

Don't need a vibrator. Just tap it gently on one side. The coin should rotate counter clockwise if tapped on the right. ... Very slowly.., (this should work if the coin has visibly slipped )

Everyone needs a vibrator...as Mrs Peter will tell.

I can't perform as a 21 year old.....I may take a bit longer.

I was waiting for Peter to make an appearance... :lol:

Everyone needs a vibrator...as Mrs Peter will tell.

I can't perform as a 21 year old.....I may take a bit longer.

Not even subtle anymore Peter! :D

Slabs are great for coins you can't really touch- milled proofs, or say anything above MS65 (NGC) Milled. But hammered coins are not made to be slabbed. Can't wait to crack em open...

Must say that the idea of slabs is off putting. Having now several in my possession I must say you get used to it.

As to grading again cant really find to much fault. When I first started buying coins from dealers I compared how different dealers graded. As you would expect there was some difference. How found with CGS fairly good consistency.

Bought an 1849 Florin because if anything thought they had under graded it. Try and get a pic up soon for opinions.

Regards

Mark

i could put my c**k in a slab and it would make MS69...

• Like 1

Slightly impaired. :ph34r:

A bit worn on the on the edges but a great example. :(:)

A bit worn on the on the edges but a great example. :(:)

Just as long as there's no 'rim nicks', everyone hates those!

No way - it's been dipped. :rolleyes:

And hopefully cleaned