British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

rpeddie

Ebay Item Came In Empty Package

So it finally happened after 4 years of ebaying.

Been worried about it for a while and luckily has never happened to me for over 500 items i have purchased over ebay but today i received a package that was empty(was meant to contain 2 sovereigns).

i tend to buy dubious items from ebay(hoping for profit and to buy more coins) and have in the past bought many items that turned out to be scams but the seller did not go to the effort of sending an empty envelope special delivery.

i have got quite a defense here where i felt the package to begin with

Firstly it felt way too light (i have had many sovereigns before and this felt nowhere near heavy enough) so the weight on the receipt(i weighed the envelope and note inside and it weighed(12g rounded up, would need to be double+some if it had 2 sovereigns in it) will be inaccurate to what it is meant to be and will match up with the empty envelope that i measured.

Secondly because i felt a bit suspicious about the package(no weight at all inside it) i recorded myself opening the package to find nothing inside.

What i am wondering from anyone that reads this is has anyone experienced this before and what sort of tips do you have for the best way to get my refund on this?

Thanks for any help :)

Depending on the years 2 Sovs would weigh 7.9g each, Double plus some and i'd also be worried unless they were in cases. You simply have to inform the ebayer, tell him you've videoed? yourself opening the packet because it felt light when you received it. Is there any obvious signs of it being opened? Small slits at the ends etc?

What would also trouble me is, if as you say you buy to make profit is perhaps the price you've paid, dös that ring Alarm bells that the coins sold cheaper than bullion etc, what is the ebayers feedback like and where is he/she located

Edited by azda

Sounds skeptical.

I've had this happen to me once, however the package had a very small slit in the side (roughly coin size) and the coin had been removed from the plastic 2x2 flip case and then the case inserted back into the package.

I informed the seller and he refunded almost immediately, I blame RM for that one.

Depends what the seller says I guess, you might find he refunds in full and contacts the deliverer for compensation (I imagine the reason why it was sent special delivery).

If it goes SD the packet will be weighed by the post office. If the weight dosn't tally with their figure it has been removed in the post, if it is the same weight as when it was posted, then the seller hasn't put them in in the first place. Should be simple to establish when it happened.

If it goes SD the packet will be weighed by the post office. If the weight dosn't tally with their figure it has been removed in the post, if it is the same weight as when it was posted, then the seller hasn't put them in in the first place. Should be simple to establish when it happened.

Very good point indeed. Check back with RM for any discrepancy..

thanks for your help ill check with the weight tomorrow, are the royal mail able to give out that information on technically someone other than my sent package?

Should'nt it State the weight on the Label if its a signed for packet? Have you contacted the ebayer?

The weight is at the top of any receipt given by the PO. see attached.

Ask for a scan of the proof of posting. If sent by SD it will have your tracking number and address. Assuming these are correct, the weight will say where they went missing.

post-381-0-15368000-1393366684_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

Anymore News on this?

So it finally happened after 4 years of ebaying.

Been worried about it for a while and luckily has never happened to me for over 500 items i have purchased over ebay but today i received a package that was empty(was meant to contain 2 sovereigns).

i tend to buy dubious items from ebay(hoping for profit and to buy more coins) and have in the past bought many items that turned out to be scams but the seller did not go to the effort of sending an empty envelope special delivery.

i have got quite a defense here where i felt the package to begin with

Firstly it felt way too light (i have had many sovereigns before and this felt nowhere near heavy enough) so the weight on the receipt(i weighed the envelope and note inside and it weighed(12g rounded up, would need to be double+some if it had 2 sovereigns in it) will be inaccurate to what it is meant to be and will match up with the empty envelope that i measured.

Secondly because i felt a bit suspicious about the package(no weight at all inside it) i recorded myself opening the package to find nothing inside.

What i am wondering from anyone that reads this is has anyone experienced this before and what sort of tips do you have for the best way to get my refund on this?

Thanks for any help :)

Sorry for your trouble...but a word of advice...dont mention the "P" word on this site..as in making a profit....they dont like it.....

update is luckily the guy did not reply to any of my messages or to the case that i opened so hopefully makes the escalation of the case easier.

suppose havent gotten the full extent to how bad this could have been due to him not replying i imagined it could have been alot worse, in future ill be recording all my packages if they seem suspect.

still waiting on decision though but should be a clear cut case really

ha spoke too soon

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting eBay Customer Service regarding the full sovereign (item# 221378387980) that you have purchased from "frost1653" and I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this transaction. I understand how disappointing it is when you expected to receive a phone but when it arrives, you just found out that it was just an empty package and you're concerned as your seller is not offering you a resolution.

I appreciate the fact that you have exerted effort to rectify the issue with your trading partner by trying to communicate with them. I know how discouraging it can be on your part when you've waited for the item to arrive yet things like this happen. Let me take this opportunity to explain how we can sort this issue out.

I have carefully reviewed your account and I'd like you to know that on the day you've opened a case for this transaction, we have sent an email notification to your seller advising them that they have an opened case and we have asked them to provide a resolution to you. We have informed them to offer you a partial or full refund (that covers the item cost and original postage) for the item you ordered or a replacement item and I am so sorry to hear that they have failed to do anything that we had recommended. Rest assured that this is very few and far between on eBay.

Moving forward to the case you filed, I know how very important it is for you to have this matter settled. I'd like you to know that in order for us to continue with the investigation of your case, we'll need you to make an online report with the National Fraud and Internet Crime Reporting Centre, Action Fraud.

We are always happy to help you as you are valuable to us that is why I have therefore placed this case on hold for 5 days or until 11th of March, 2014 to give you an ample time to provide us an action fraud number as well as photos that you received an empty package. Here's how you can file your report online:

1. Go to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

2. Click on Report a fraud

3. Click on Financial and online fraud

4. Fill in the form and click on Submit

5. Send us the reference number you'll get after completing the report.

Kindly understand that you need to answer this email with the requested reference number within the given timeframe to ensure that you receive a refund.

In addition to this, I strongly encourage you to report almost any issues you have with sellers when you find them abusing you by any means as we don't tolerate members with this kind of behaviour as this breaches our policy. We take your reports very seriously and even if not all action is visible on the site, I can guarantee you that this action have negative effect on their account and at the same time, will be recorded towards them that may lead to issuing the member a temporary suspension, an indefinite suspension or terminating the member's account.

Here's how to report a member:

1. Log in to ebay.co.uk

2. Hover over Customer Support on the top right of your screen and select Customer Support from the drop down

3. Choose the tab Contact eBay

4. This will then bring you to a page detailing three main topics: Buying, Selling and My account

5. Select the topic that best describes your issue and then click on Report a member

From there, the site will explain exactly how to report another member based on your reason for doing so. It's important to get your report to the correct department to ensure that it gets processed.

I trust this information is helpful and we look forward to your response. I wish you all the best on your future trading on eBay.

Kind regards,

Geraldine Davis

eBay Customer Service"

I didn't have any of this when I received an empty envelope. Mind you there was an embossed coin beside the tear in the envelope. After much abuse from the seller ebay just returned my money.

They obviously don't know the difference between a Gold sovereign and a phone, why has she written that its a phone thats missing?

They obviously don't know the difference between a Gold sovereign and a phone, why has she written that its a phone thats missing?

Must be one of those The London Mint Office sovereigns that's multipurpose.