British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

OK, I know it's not British coins, but here is a taste of the continuing toning madness and delusion in the States:

If you could have a shot at just one of these Monster Morgan Dollars ... which would you pick and why? page.gif Pages: 1 2 Last

I hope to God this is a finite madness...

I think the post immediately following the OP was ok - 'Salamander because it looks the most natural'. Post 13 is good too. - 'I rarely pay more than a 10% premium for post-mint improvements.'

To be honest, the one above may be ok unless the poster of that thread knows otherwise, and I think another may be ok - all assuming the reverses are ok too. The others require a sick bag on permanent standby.

Edited by Rob

They just remind me of trips to Pizza Hut and their ice cream factory. Stick your Smarties into the ice cream and as the coatings melt off you get a very similar effect!

And of course NGC is now awarding stars for such .. er, details.

It just highlights how different some (particularly US) collectors' likes and dislikes can be.

Which is fine. So long as they don't start trying to tell me what I should like in a coin!

They just remind me of trips to Pizza Hut and their ice cream factory. Stick your Smarties into the ice cream and as the coatings melt off you get a very similar effect!

And of course NGC is now awarding stars for such .. er, details.

It just highlights how different some (particularly US) collectors' likes and dislikes can be.

Which is fine. So long as they don't start trying to tell me what I should like in a coin!

Haha totally XD. The only difference being it didn't cost $2000-3000!

I quite like the Lightning bolt but all of these definitely fall into the the category of 'nice to look at but would never buy'..

Yes, there were an encouraging number of posts that dissed the whole AT phenomenon, and I'm sure they weren't all Brits!

For me, only "Icy Perfection" looked 100% natural, though "Blue Suede" and "Salamander" could have been too.

Yes, Peck. Actually it may be a bit of turning of the tide? That poster "Seattle Slammer" was just rather bad & essentially calling dissenters ignorant...

Two of the comments found on the PCGS thread were of particular interest.

The first which confirms all of my suspicions about the mindset of those who collect such coins....

"Shucks. I could go for just about any of the them. I don't give a hang about dates, mintmarks, even grade. To me this is all about the color. I have been saving for a long time and come the Central States Show I should be good to go."

..and the second which is my favorite...

"I rarely pay more than a 10% premium for post mint improvements".

I don't care for any of those coins. Firstly, because I find the Morgan Dollar design to be extremely unattractive. Secondly, because the colors are garish (and the images are over saturated IMO). Thirdly, because the prices are simply laughable.

On an aside, I almost never agree with anything that particular OP posts on the PCGS boards. The guy collects PCGS TrueView pictures more than he collects coins. If you want a taste of his collection, you can see it at this link. Be forewarned, you may want to find a bag before clicking.

scared-smiley-emoticon_zpsb395c8ae.gif

vomit-rainbow-o_zpsff127861.gif

They're a bit bright for me. What many people find incomprehensible is the premium paid by some folks for these. A reality check is in order given the ease with which you too could achieve the same results with a bit of effort. There does seem to be a significant anti-rainbow collecting element from the posts above which is encouraging.

I think it was a Churchill crown that someone in the US wanted 5 or 6 hundred dollars for with a similar colour scheme. (greattoning or somebody like that) Nobody in their right mind would pay more than a couple of quid for a good one. Most will remain unloved forever.

Well done Eme-bag for spotting a marketing opportunity and patenting the idea. http://www.eme-bag.com/about.php

I find the Morgan Dollar design to be extremely unattractive.

Absolutely! Are Barber coins much rarer? Because I find that an acceptable design, but relative to the Morgans see very few examples.

Absolutely! Are Barber coins much rarer? Because I find that an acceptable design, but relative to the Morgans see very few examples.

Tom, Morgan Dollars are probably the most popular coins in America...while Barbers (all types) are not so well liked, because of their design.

I don't care for any of those coins. Firstly, because I find the Morgan Dollar design to be extremely unattractive. Secondly, because the colors are garish (and the images are over saturated IMO). Thirdly, because the prices are simply laughable.

On an aside, I almost never agree with anything that particular OP posts on the PCGS boards. The guy collects PCGS TrueView pictures more than he collects coins. If you want a taste of his collection, you can see it at this link. Be forewarned, you may want to find a bag before clicking.

ROFL. I've just thought of the way I could "enjoy" the best of both worlds : take photos of my entire collection, then run each photo through Photoshop applying vast amounts of the Hue / Saturation filter to selected parts, while leaving the original coin untouched!! I'll try and remember to make a start tomorrow and show you the first attempt :D

ROFL. I've just thought of the way I could "enjoy" the best of both worlds : take photos of my entire collection, then run each photo through Photoshop applying vast amounts of the Hue / Saturation filter to selected parts, while leaving the original coin untouched!! I'll try and remember to make a start tomorrow and show you the first attempt :D

Hahaha, looking forward to this...

OK - here's a simply gorgeous Anne shilling, which has iridescent hues of blue, magenta and gold, gradually acquired from years of toning in Adobe's labs :D

post-4737-0-09521500-1393329321_thumb.jp

• Like 1

OK - here's a simply gorgeous Anne shilling, which has iridescent hues of blue, magenta and gold, gradually acquired from years of toning in Adobe's labs :D

attachicon.gif1708 shilling obv AT !.jpg

Brilliant! :D:D:D

attachicon.gif1708 shilling obv AT !.jpg

:D :D :D

Hmmm... I definitely think that's a 'Solar Flare' Anne shilling.. ;)

Tom, Morgan Dollars are probably the most popular coins in America...while Barbers (all types) are not so well liked, because of their design.

I have always thought that Morgan Dollars are popular because they are so plentiful. I mean, they were saved by the bag, and most dates (save a few in the mid-1890s) are available to the masses in gem unc. I do actually quite like the reverse eagle on the coin, but the mug on the obverse is simply unattractive to my eye. My type-set example (pictured below) was chosen for the high state of preservation and the fact that it is from 100 years before my birth-year. It simply glows in hand, lustrous frosty beauty, but still by no means even in my top-10 favorite US coin designs.

1879S_Morgan_Dollar_NGC_MS67plus_composi

The Barber coinage is liked by fewer people, but it's also much more difficult to find (and afford) high end Barber pieces. The bulk of the Barber coinage was used very heavily in commerce, and so even finding a nice Barber Half in XF (VF British) is hard for some dates. I had the pleasure of photographing in January an absolutely lovely 1906-S Barber Half for a friend that was graded PCGS MS64+, a coin barely over 100 years old. This coin recently sold for over $3,000!! High-end attractive Barber material is simply difficult to find, and thus less appealing to the average collector (and his/her budget). Below is that Barber Half -- not my coin, but my images. :)

1906S_Barber_Half_composite_black_v2_zps

Good work Peck :)

The best part is I have both the picture and the unsullied original coin. :D

The best part is I have both the picture and the unsullied original coin. :D

Yeh, ok up to a point. How do you get the colour off the spare?

Odd isn't it? We have no choice of whose portrait goes on our coins and end up making them look like Miss World (young head coins of the last two female monarchs at least...). But with the whole world to choose from the American mint go and choose some munter with a nutcracker chin!

Actually I'm rather fond of Morgan dollars but can't really say why.