British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I see the press have suddenly found out that the kew gardens 50p is increadably rare and we are are informed it is worth £120 on ebay .

They sure took their time over that one

I feel sure that mine will soon appear on there for some numptie to have for £50

The joys of coin collecting ........

Unreal, I have one but was just this weekend thinking of buying an uncirculated version at £22 in its collectors case.

The joys of coin collecting!!! tsch :huh:

PS That was buy it now price

i managed to snipe(buy it now spipe) an executive and delux proof set there for just under £100, hope the craze lasts just long enough for me to flip them

i feel this may run and run - a bit like the undated 20p thing

Some kew gardens coins are getting 200 views an hour 3300 a day

Has this gone viral yet?

Has it been on the bbc news?

Ahhh well, us coinies have been here b4 i think

I think the dailly mail is very wrong to think there are 200000 or so of these coins in circulation , most have been pulled out of circulation long ago

i think there is probably only 25 000 or so in circulation now

I bet you would have to hunt through £50 000 of 50p coins to stand an even money chance of getting one

The london coin company does not have anything to do with the london mint office does it????

I've been wondering why did the RM release this statement when they did? Are minting numbers for general circulation coins known in advance or does it depend upon the demand for coins that year and we don't know until after te year.The cynic in me thinks they're doing this to get more people to buy their special releases in the hope it'll be "the next kew 50p" or do we already know they'll strike say 4mil?

depends on if banks order them .

the goverment does not plan to just issue a small number of coins , it just happens that because of low demand not many are made - its the same in the states

There's me the conspiracy theorist!

I remember the hype with the 2008 mule 20 pences, they were about £30-£40 for a good while and they shot up to £200-£400 after the press published the article and the BBC mentioned it. This prices lasted for a short time and steadily they found their way back to the £40ish mark. Whether the Kew Gardens 50p will follow suit and return to normal prices, I guess time will tell. The 1992/1993 dated Single Market 50pence only had a mintage of 109k, which is about 1/2 of the Kew Gardens 210k mintage, I don't recall any hype about this coin?

I found 4 Kew gardens 50pences in circulation, but I never found a 1992/3 EU 50 pence.

I don't think the Royal mint release the figures until after they release the coins,( they only have upto 2012 listed) unless it is a 'limited edition' http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

I remember the hype with the 2008 mule 20 pences, they were about £30-£40 for a good while and they shot up to £200-£400 after the press published the article and the BBC mentioned it. This prices lasted for a short time and steadily they found their way back to the £40ish mark. Whether the Kew Gardens 50p will follow suit and return to normal prices, I guess time will tell. The 1992/1993 dated Single Market 50pence only had a mintage of 109k, which is about 1/2 of the Kew Gardens 210k mintage, I don't recall any hype about this coin?

I found 4 Kew gardens 50pences in circulation, but I never found a 1992/3 EU 50 pence.

I don't think the Royal mint release the figures until after they release the coins,( they only have upto 2012 listed) unless it is a 'limited edition' http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

In keeping with the post a few above, I don't think they can release the mintages until after the end of the calendar year. Whilst they might know in advance for the commemorative crap marketed to the masses, a regular currency piece's mintage will depend on the demand from the banks for coin. If they don't order it, the Mint doesn't produce it.

966 listings on eBay as I write. :blink: - some b*****d's holding on to the other 209,000. :angry:

In keeping with the post a few above, I don't think they can release the mintages until after the end of the calendar year. Whilst they might know in advance for the commemorative crap marketed to the masses, a regular currency piece's mintage will depend on the demand from the banks for coin. If they don't order it, the Mint doesn't produce it.

Yes, i still find it odd though. We've known these mintage figures for a while so why wait until now?

Yes, i still find it odd though. We've known these mintage figures for a while so why wait until now?

Surely the banks don't ask the Mint for Kew Gardens 50p's (for example) do they? I would have thought they would just ask for 50p's, then the Mint can decide whether to produce/send regular coins or commemorative ones?

966 listings on eBay as I write. :blink: - some b*****d's holding on to the other 209,000. :angry:

did you count the proof sets,currency sets/BU sets also? :P

It just goes to show the power of the press over the people. Imagine what could happen if they ever wanted to convince vast swathes of the public of something, whether it was true or not?

[...sits back and waits for a certain someone to, probably correctly, mention the Daily Mail] :D

Prices on ebay are already softening. One in its RM packaging went for £205 earlier followed by a similar one at £64. Packaged coins within the set were going as BINs at £200 then went down to £150 or so, but prices started to drop down to around £70 for a single UNC example. Circulated coins seem to have started out at around £60-80, but then dropped to the £25-30 mark and now one has gone for £7.55. Normal service should be resumed shortly.

Well there you go then. That was a flash in the pan. This one just went for £53:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kew-gardens-50p-fifty-pence-rare-1759-2009-/331134767765?pt=UK_Coins_BritishDecimal_RL&hash=item4d192b9295&autorefresh=true

I imagine £20 - £30 is post hype realistic. That is, once the people that are now stuck with them have got shot of theirs at a loss and the market isn't so saturated.

I wonder how much of the deceleration is due to this forum.

Well there you go then. That was a flash in the pan. This one just went for £53:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kew-gardens-50p-fifty-pence-rare-1759-2009-/331134767765?pt=UK_Coins_BritishDecimal_RL&hash=item4d192b9295&autorefresh=true

I imagine £20 - £30 is post hype realistic. That is, once the people that are now stuck with them have got shot of theirs at a loss and the market isn't so saturated.

I wonder how much of the deceleration is due to this forum.

Or the paragraph you added to your listing Chris!

Yes, possibly. Over 1200 people have seen it.

The london coin company does not have anything to do with the london mint office does it????

The London Coin Company does not have anything to do with The London Mint Office.

Rather like Steven Mitchell does (studiocoins.net, but not studiocoins.com or studiocoins.co.uk!), had you thought of a disclaimer on your website, just to emphasise that you have no association with them?

Just an idea.

:)