British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

loose54

1861 5+G Penny?

Hello all, I have been directed here as I was told this is where the Penny experts hang out!

Would you be able to confirm the variety of this 1861 Penny for me? Is it 5+G?

Thanks All!

post-7996-0-17603800-1392820000_thumb.jp

Hi, and welcome. I prefer to think of myself as a fairly well informed enthusiast, rather than an expert! Nevertheless, I'm sorry to advise that your coin is die combination 6 + G (i.e. a Freeman 33). As I'm sure you're aware, the 5 + G combination is very rare.

The easiest way to determine that your coin is obverse 6 is by the gap between the top of the head and the rim. For obverse 6 this is noticeably smaller.

Here's obverse 5 (on the left) and obverse 6 (on the right), for comparison:

Penny1860%20F16%205%20+%20D%20OBV%20500xPenny1861%20F29%206%20+%20D%20OBV%20500x

Edited by Accumulator

I'd agree too - I would just add that it's the gap between the top of the head and the LINEAR CIRCLE rather than the rim, that is an easy pointer between Obverses 1-5, and 6 & later.

The distance between the back of the head and the B in BRITT seems a very clear indicator, as does the lower colon stop after the G in D:G: On Obverse 5 it is virtually equidistant from the forehead and the wreath, on Obverse 6 it is much closer to the forehead and much further away from the wreath.

Hello all, I have been directed here as I was told this is where the Penny experts hang out!

Would you be able to confirm the variety of this 1861 Penny for me? Is it 5+G?

Thanks All!

I just this very minute looked at this Swesish sellers website ;) and would have snapped it up if it had been, but its not Edited by azda