British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

Very Rare Aquatics Withdrawn 50P For Sale.

Thanks everyone. I suppose it must be a decimal record (for base metal)! There was such a huge amount of interest in it in terms of watcher numbers, bidders and questions asked.

Did you bring it to my attention Danz? I can't remember how and when exactly I found out about it.

I couldn't have asked for better timing with all that Kew Gdns 50p stuff kicking off mid way through. I hate lotteries, but perhaps I should buy a ticket this week.

£900 is now the value that will go into the book.

I did Chris. I spoke to on the phone about the one I had bought. You were unaware of this type and checked your set and luckily had this type.

Congratulations Chris! It'll be interesting to see if more start to appear now that the price has been set so high.

Aha, that was you was it! Then I suppose I do technically owe you one. Luckily the new decimal book took so long that I would have found out before I sold them on, but still, it could have been a disaster couldn't it!

Ok, I'll send you a signed "Collector's Coins - Decimal Issues of the United Kingdom". The least I can do.

Nice one. Cheers Chris. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Very nice £908. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure whether the decimal point should be moved one or two places to the left. Somewhere close to one I suspect. Most of the olympic issues will have been bought by non-collectors, so I suspect the collector base to be a little thin.

How many people actively collect mint state decimal coins? Lots of people collect from change, but they usually draw the line at spending a premium to face value. Having said that, I have noticed a few people buying decimals of all denominations at fairs. 3 or 4 years ago there were only occasional purchasers, now they are regular visitors to the table.

There must be a fair number of series collectors of decimal coins, looking at the recent activity re the Kew Coins. Came as no surprise to find the more serious amongst them would want the aquatics variety!

Just out of interest, Chris, how many serious bidders did you have? Say, those prepared to pay £500 or more?

At over £500 there were 8 different bidders.

A lot of it is speculation. I'm pretty sure this one has gone to a collector, but I bet an awful lot of the Kew gdns sales were to people that jumped on them quick with the hope of selling on for a quick profit. Same as for the dateless 20p, except with the Kew coin it literally fell flat after about 48 hrs....scarcely enough time to receive the coins before selling them on, so no doubt lots of people were disappointed.

I've just joined the forum and read with interest the details of this coin. I bought 6 sets of the olympic 50s from the Mint in 2011. One contained the aquatic error. At the beginning of this year I sent photographs and a history of the coin to two auction houses. One said under £10 the other £50 because

"we sell to collectors who know how much these coins are worth rather than the overinflated prices that appear on eBay."

I've attached a photograph and as you can see it is in its original sealed bag. I note a catalogue valuation of £1000 is this for one still sealed in the bag?

I'd be grateful for any comments and probable valuations.

Aquatics 2012.jpg

It's worth whatever it makes on the day. Ultimately, the greatest use for a catalogue valuation lies in it being a printed number for insurance purposes.

What is the serial number and when in 2011 did you acquire it?

Thanks for your response. The despatch date on the despatch note is 18/1/2011.  The serial number is L08070353. As to value do you know of any sales other than the one mentioned in this topic?

No, but I don't follow decimal prices with any enthusiasm.