British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

Very Rare Aquatics Withdrawn 50P For Sale.

I've listed my withdrawn 'lines on face' 2011 Aquatics 50p on eBay, in case anyone fancies a punt!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271404710693?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

post-1-0-71496100-1392666226_thumb.jpg

All have a go at it. Only stop when it gets to £1000!

aww i was going to stop at £1500 but if you want ill stop at £1000 i suppose

Stop having a go at £1000. From then on it's serious bidders only!

Be interesting to watch this one from the sidelines... :)

Definitely...

10-12 seems a bit low for an overall total though. That's all that have come to light on this forum. I have one which I bought from Mark Ray (Collectors' World) in Nottingham. Happened to be passing, called in the shop and took a random full set of 29. He had a few sets bagged up and I assume that all of the batch he bought at the time from the mint were likely to be the same variety. These were bought from the mint on release, so perhaps the first run of acquatics 50ps was the error. I'm sure that most full sets bought at the time of release won't have been checked.

Yes, 10-12 probably is a bit low on reflection. Someone else wrote to me over ebay stating that they knew of about 16 and estimated a total of 300.

I'm pretty sure it was at least some of the first batch that contained the error. The RM estimates 600 in total.

That seems very high for the surprisingly few have come to light though.

Watching. Fingers crossed. :D

It was £155 after 2 days and there are 44 watchers so far. Not bad for a decimal!

• Like 1

This story in the Mail might interest you. If you really want coverage drop them a line. The last coin they featured (1919kn penny off-metal strike) went for £7k, as I recall!

Similar article in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/20/50p-coin-worth-24-pounds

I've decided to list a couple of mine on the Bay today, strike while there is heightened interest! The first of them has gone to £12 within a few minutes!

Edited by Paulus

one just ended for £56 not sure what to make of that price though :wacko:

And that was just a normal circulated example. The London Coin co was selling BU examples at £24 earlier today (as reported in the Guardian article), they have just re-listed them at £79.95!

And that was just a normal circulated example. The London Coin co was selling BU examples at £24 earlier today (as reported in the Guardian article), they have just re-listed them at £79.95!

haha this is quite amusing when even London coin co. get their prices too cheap, fished mine out the coin cabinet and it is listed too :P

haha this is quite amusing when even London coin co. get their prices too cheap, fished mine out the coin cabinet and it is listed too :P

There's a bit of a mini frenzy out there, I have just been offered £65 for mine!

sorry for spam and hijacking thread but all 5 sold in under a hour for £50 ebay...whaddya know

guy that put one on at £20 a few minutes ago must be a tad gutted :P

I will leave counting the number on eBay to someone else. You can always rely on the British public.......... :huh:

Mine will have to stay as it is considerably more interesting than the 2007 Britannia reverse or the 2012 silver 5 ounce lump of bullion, though to its credit, Pegasus isn't bad.

I shall keep 1 BU example. The one I listed is currently at £122 £132 ... completely hatstand!

Edited by Paulus

I shall keep 1 BU example. The one I listed is currently at £122 £132 ... completely hatstand!

Well done P for getting on the cart early! I can't see how those prices will be maintained for long? surely the decimal market can't soak up the large number of Kews now for sale on eBay, and then continue to hold their price thereafter?

How can people be so bloody gullible, and what do they all want to do with them? Keep them as investment? Or more likely, re-sell for a quick profit. 210,000 coins. Exactly the same old rubbish as with the dateless 20p and every NEW PENCE 2p. The general public believe any old hype, it's insane.

It should help my 50p though as people will be looking a lot in the 50p section. Now I wish I'd written 'RARE' or 'LOOK' in my item title!

or the more common "L@@K" :D

How can people be so bloody gullible, and what do they all want to do with them? Keep them as investment? Or more likely, re-sell for a quick profit. 210,000 coins. Exactly the same old rubbish as with the dateless 20p and every NEW PENCE 2p. The general public believe any old hype, it's insane.

It should help my 50p though as people will be looking a lot in the 50p section. Now I wish I'd written 'RARE' or 'LOOK' in my item title!

Chris, if you add something like 'much rarer than the Kew Gardens 50p' to your description you might get lots of extra views!