British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

England Frightened Of Scottish Indepemdence

England on its own is not really bothered about scottish independance.

it has plundered most of their oil and gas and can now depend on fracking in the outbacks of yorkshire and lancashire to pay the bills in westminster

England or rather Westminster is actually shitting themselves copper123 that Scotland in fact DOES gain Independence for the very reasons that you have quoted, the raping of our land, the over Taxation of our people so that ENGLAND could flourish and Westminster tells Scotland that they're doing us a favour.

You'll feel the shit hitting the Fan if we become Independent due to the Black hole in tax that you'll all have to cover due to the quaffing Tories bleeding your country dry.

And just on the small topic of oil. There is enough oil off the Scottish waters for many a year to come yet, so lets look at Dubai who has maybe 5-10 years worth of reserves left, they seems to be doing quite well with hpw they are going to Cope without oil, they're Building an infrastructre with their wealth when the fields run dry.

The other thing i noted is that none of you commented on the fact that Scotland has in fact been subsidising England, strange that (NOT)

As I said a while ago, we English should be the ones voting. It's our club, so we should be deciding if we want Salmon and the rest of you as members. You've all become so unappreciative recently that I think a few years in the wilderness will do you some good. Let's untie Scotland and float it off into the North Sea! :D

[Tin hat firmly in place]

I've been reading the Scottish diatribes with some amusement and can only think it's about time they should start wearing underpants with their kilts as it seem there's too much of a cold draught up there!

Look at albeit a much smaller nation, Nauru - they became independent ca. 1970 when they were still mining phosphate, they put all the money in the bank, invested it, bought an airline and some buildings in Australia thinking they were going to be self sufficient later on. But the investments tanked, the money in the bank dried up to pay expenses and the nation went bankrupt. Now Nauru relies on foreign aid again, and has no prospect of ever being self sufficient again.

Sure the UAE is spending litigious sums on capital investments and sovereign wealth funds. But not so sure even spreading their proverbial eggs out will do the trick. You really cannot replace mineral or manufacturing generated self sufficiency with service type industries in the long run.

Investing in Scottish businesses in Scotland and ploughing money into long term solutions for the oil dryimg up is another opportunity. NO country on this planet should think oil is going to last

Forever, more fool them if they think it will.

The post there by copper123 just shows some of the arrogance by some English towards the Scots with his quote "we've took all what we have, now throw them to the lions" statements like that just makes me want independence more so that Westminster can go and bleed you dry and see

How you like it when they're raping your payslip for double the tax. Roll on September

All these arguments about independence for whatever country it is ignore the fact that all 'developed' societies live beyond their means. They got there by exploiting the under-developed nations. Eventually the wheels are going to come off the bus for everyone. There are too many people on the planet and we produce goods too efficiently for the status quo to be maintained. In the long term, earth will be ok - humans I'm not so sure about.

While Scotland itself has produced a massive amount of oil which England (or westminster if you like) has depended the honest truth is scotland is a very expensive county to run , its transport system is in poor condition and cost many times what the transport system in England costs while being used by very few people (The only really busy roads i have ever been on in scotland are between edinburgh and glasgow and the motorway to Glasgow.

The health system is also plagued by the same problems .

That was the reason i said Westminster would not be bothered we might have raped the country for the last thirty years but the darn place certainly added a large amount to the national debt between 1707 and 1968.

Will they be offering to take their share i wonder or will that salmon turn into a slippery customer

Edited by copper123

It is clear to me that hot air is the main produce from the natives.

Try selling it to your "friends" the french.

Fair weather friends that is - friends that dissapear when there is a job to do or enemy to be fought

Edited by copper123

If i remember rightly the only reason that scotland ever joined up in the union with england was because they practically bankcupted scotland on a stupid venture to south america.

it's politicians are not money wizards then are they?

The reasoning behind the union was that at least together the UK was worth something even if one was totally broke.

King Alexander IV?

The last Scottish king of this name was Alexander III. He was the last king of the House of Dunkeld and reigned from 1249 to 1286, and was, surprise, surprise the son of Alexander II. So, Mr Salmond would become Alexander IV - sounds better than King Salmond I, with Queen Sturgeon alongside him.

Is there a living Stuart claimant to a Scottish throne?

You would have to ask the french - no doubt he or she would have gone there

King Alexander IV?

The last Scottish king of this name was Alexander III. He was the last king of the House of Dunkeld and reigned from 1249 to 1286, and was, surprise, surprise the son of Alexander II. So, Mr Salmond would become Alexander IV - sounds better than King Salmond I, with Queen Sturgeon alongside him.

Is there a living Stuart claimant to a Scottish throne?

They've tracked down the last of the Plantagenets, and the Young Pretender is a good 250 years later than Dickie III, so why not?

so they can't have the Pound, they can't have the EU... and we can stop them having the queen...

King Alexander IV?

Not sure why you'd think a commoner would become a King Dave, i'm sure IF Scotland were to gain independence whoever was the Leader of said Independent country would certainly not become a King or Queen, perhaps president, but certainly not royalty.

I don't think Salmond would - the comment simply follows from the spoof pound coin with Alex Salmond's head on it.

Bored now ! Please stop playground bickering. :rolleyes:

I like to think that the average Englishman doesn't give a tinkers dam either way, I know I don't. I was hoping that I could just sit on the sideline and throw in the occassional bone to see the fur fly. What has dissapointed me is how mild mannered this discussion has been. :ph34r:

I like to think that the average Englishman doesn't give a tinkers dam either way, I know I don't. I was hoping that I could just sit on the sideline and throw in the occassional bone to see the fur fly. What has dissapointed me is how mild mannered this discussion has been. :ph34r:

Probably because the benefits, perceived or otherwise, are irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. A bit like the Irish question. A unified Ireland would still be subservient to Brussels. The right to self-determine what exactly? Any right a country may have to set its own course and live or die by its decisions will be far outweighed by the potential for the governing bodies higher up the food chain to bu**er things up. Brussels will determine Scotland's future whether in the EU or outside it, just as it currently does.

Probably because the benefits, perceived or otherwise, are irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. A bit like the Irish question. A unified Ireland would still be subservient to Brussels. The right to self-determine what exactly? Any right a country may have to set its own course and live or die by its decisions will be far outweighed by the potential for the governing bodies higher up the food chain to bu**er things up. Brussels will determine Scotland's future whether in the EU or outside it, just as it currently does.

This flies in the face of the whole UKIP mantra. Who controls things, the politisions in Westminster or the politisions in Brussels, at the end of the day it makes no difference to the man on the street. At the end of the day they are still politisions.

Edited by Gary1000

Yet More Dirty tricks (or an attempt at least) by the establishment you are obviously not wanting Scotland to leave

http://wingsoverscotland.com/playing-with-fire/

I wish they'd just let Freedom of choice prevail instead of resorting to this BS

While Scotland itself has produced a massive amount of oil which England (or westminster if you like) has depended the honest truth is scotland is a very expensive county to run , its transport system is in poor condition and cost many times what the transport system in England costs while being used by very few people (The only really busy roads i have ever been on in scotland are between edinburgh and glasgow and the motorway to Glasgow.

The health system is also plagued by the same problems .

That was the reason i said Westminster would not be bothered we might have raped the country for the last thirty years but the darn place certainly added a large amount to the national debt between 1707 and 1968.

Will they be offering to take their share i wonder or will that salmon turn into a slippery customer

Sorry but how many roads have you driven on in Scotland? You Quote the NHS and Railways Systems, ermmmmmmm i assume the NHS in Englamd is all honky dorey and the Railways fares in England are much lower than Scotlands to to their over use? Hahaha come on, these Systems are buggered not because its a specific nations, but because Government after Government has pissed all over what was once a great System and has been ruined by Westminster and not by Scotland, why, Tiny Scotland has free prescriptions so our system seems to be running ok, do you pay for yours? Of course you do, and as stated before, Scotland pays more tax than we receive back yet we have free prescriptions, maybe you should be asking your government why instead of blaming Scotland for what exactly lol?

Looking through this thread its easy to see the perception of the English contigent of Scottish independence. Some say we should be grateful for English rule (lol, really?) still have'nt seen 1 good arguement as to why Scotland should stay.

A majority seem to think we should, so i'd like to hear/read why, then when you have nothing to argue about, think why Westminster are so keen to keep a firm grip of Scotland, off you go, lets see what you have :D

Looking through this thread its easy to see the perception of the English contigent of Scottish independence. Some say we should be grateful for English rule (lol, really?) still have'nt seen 1 good arguement as to why Scotland should stay.

A majority seem to think we should, so i'd like to hear/read why, then when you have nothing to argue about, think why Westminster are so keen to keep a firm grip of Scotland, off you go, lets see what you have :D

Politisions are politisions because of their own self inerests. Don't think because the politisions for their own self interests are panicing and want the UK to stay whole that the people give a hoot.

If Scotland really want to seperate, the English should be given a vote. Turnout would be very low but it would be a land slide result.

Just so we are in agreement about the NHS, this is cuts/proposed cuts to English hospitals

imagejpg1-1.jpg