British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

Choosing The Best Example For Your Collection

The discussion on H & KN pennies in another topic covered at the ongoing problems with strike during the early years of the 20th century. It prompted me to look at a few of my coins from this period and make an assessment of the best example for the collection.

Typically I might have two coins from a particular date. One, the example showing the best lustre, would appear the better when viewed in hand with the naked eye. The second, having less than full, or less perfect, lustre would show a much better strike when examined under magnification. So which should go into the collection and which should be moved on?

Here's an example for 1917. The first has almost perfect, even, lustre but the typically poor strike. The second has a less perfect lustre but a really good strike for the year.

The first looks best in hand, the second under magnification. Which would you keep?

Penny1917%20F181%202%20+%20B%20REV%20500Penny1917%20F181%202%20+%20B%20REV%20500

I would also go for the second one

2nd one

I don't think it's so clear cut! I'd probably bounce them around from hand to hand, give myself an enormous headache, maybe even wish I'd collected feathers or something, and then put them both back until I was so skint I had to sell both!

I hate those kind of choices! It's always the same with coins in the upper grades, there's always some aspect that's charming about each, mostly qualities that are rarely found together in one coin! I quite like the first, reminds me of a 1920 (or was it '21) I've got!

I truly don't mind 'honest' and genuine period weakness!

I've never really fallen for lustre. It's nice, sure. But it's darn difficult to photograph. And the tiniest mark ..

.. so I'd go for grade too. All coins start with lustre. But not all are sharply struck, Grasshopper.

:ph34r:

Edited by TomGoodheart

If you feel you can only keep one, I would also keep the second one, but why not keep both in the collection? There's no rule about such things, and keeping both would enable you to see more attributes of this series, removing the dilemma at the same time! :)

If you feel you can only keep one, I would also keep the second one, but why not keep both in the collection? There's no rule about such things, and keeping both would enable you to see more attributes of this series, removing the dilemma at the same time! :)

I agree. With something like a 1917 penny (not rare or expensive) it doesn't hurt to keep both. I have two 1911 and two 1913 pennies - both identical varieties - simply because I might have upgraded the lustre but didn't want to lose a crisp strike. Keep them both!

I also do prefer the second one.

Thanks guys (except for Gary's suggestion :ph34r: ). I do prefer the second example but will probably go along with the idea of keeping both.

I'm not seeing any problems with luster in the 2nd coin, and the strike is clearly better. Sure, the first appears to be a bit more red, but all copper eventually mellows to red-brown or brown. And, I actually prefer the look of lustrous brown copper to flashy red pieces. At least I know when I already have a coin with even brown surfaces it is less likely to "mellow" over time to a mostly red coin with hideous spots. :)

So, as others have said, if you must keep only one, I'd keep coin #2. ;)

2nd one

• Like 1

You can't keep both! That goes against all the rules, blimey, whatever next.

At that rate people will be collecting whatever they like, not what they have to get.... :lol: ...it'll be anarchy

You would think the 2nd wouldn't you? I have a nasty feeling however that the first would be easier to sell.

Derek that is what I was going to say, I think you would be correct

Wait till number three comes around! Seriously, that is exactly what happened to me with the 1871 bun.

I got hooked into die varieties of 18C farthings...can't resist them.

Wait till number three comes around! Seriously, that is exactly what happened to me with the 1871 bun.

I do agree...three coins makes the dynamics of 1 rejection easier...you're still left with a tough call on the last 2, however?

I haven't developed this discipline, yet, I still flip coins over and over just wondering where to draw the line! So hard!

If Turner had painted 2 images of the same scene, would it ever be possible to pick one over the other? I think coins are the same...when 'crafted' by a history of nearly a hundred years, how can we possible quantify perfection?

The definition between junk and collectable is very clear...however, the top of the collectable range, always divides into what you would like/prefer/accept outside of perfection! And, truth be told, both coins in the OP have stand-alone qualities unquestionable!

I come to a simple conclusion that it's impossible to decide, at least for me, and I'm thinking AC too, otherwise the struggle between the two coins wouldn't exist?

Oh, don't we love dem coins!

I have bought so many upgraded coins.

I can't justify the best.Mrs Peter has given me free reign on a few.I know my place.

There has to be a happy medium.

I enjoy fishing and like Mitchell reels (lost count on how many I have).