British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello17

Like This Button On Posts Doesn't Work.

I try to click the Like This button but i get an error saying i have liked too many posts today.

|

V

I found this one helps on Facebook

post-5057-0-79974100-1391204327_thumb.jp

I try to click the Like This button but i get an error saying i have liked too many posts today.

|

V

It's been borked for years. Yet strangely, on another forum I belong to - that uses this identical software - it does work, so it must be a setting somewhere that's been wrongly set.

Does 'liking it' confer any advantages, or is it the forum equivalent of celebrity adoration? TFP.

Does 'liking it' confer any advantages, or is it the forum equivalent of celebrity adoration? TFP.

The only advantage is you can confer your approval of the post without having to add a comment. Many times here, someone has replied to something I posted, and I've just wanted to 'Like' their reply, and there was nothing more to add.

Surely in the interest of open debate, it is only worth 'liking' something if the name of the person doing the 'liking' is attached? If I say I like A, B & C, then a person agreeing should be identifiable in order to expand the discussion, or am I missing something?

Surely in the interest of open debate, it is only worth 'liking' something if the name of the person doing the 'liking' is attached? If I say I like A, B & C, then a person agreeing should be identifiable in order to expand the discussion, or am I missing something?

Absolutely. On the other forum I belong to, it gives the details of who has liked the post.

IT may have its merits in the coin aquisition of the week thread, instead of dropping a comment, you can just give it a thumbs up or you could also you the other option above ;)

Hmmm, the like feature has to be linked to a special kind of facebook account, that I haven't got!

I was thinking about a better fb strategy for predecimal.com. What was that account you set up Dave? Perhaps we could merge and get the 'likes' etc to work.

Hmmm, the like feature has to be linked to a special kind of facebook account, that I haven't got!

I was thinking about a better fb strategy for predecimal.com. What was that account you set up Dave? Perhaps we could merge and get the 'likes' etc to work.

Its only my FB account Chris. What i as saying was it would be a good feature to use particularly in the "coin aquisition of the week" thread if you can't be bothered writing something but like the coin that was uploaded. have you asked your Hosting company about something like this?

Couldn't you just post a single smiley if you liked something? :)

:) Isn't that spam??

:) Isn't that spam??

Sometimes it's nice just to record a thumbs up rather than post anything - a 'Like' is a kind of smiley anyway.

It's not the hosting or anything on this side, it's a facebook thing. I'll look into it this week.

At the risk of being castigated as a dinosaur, if it's Facebook related, I can see me not liking anything.

I don't need Facebook and I can't see why I should have to get p****d just to post a few obligatory pictures of myself mooning on Ibiza High Street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not the hosting or anything on this side, it's a facebook thing. I'll look into it this week.

That's odd. The other forum I belong - which uses identical forum software to this one - has a working (and identical) Like button, which is totally unrelated to Facebook. It just functions within the forum, apart from sending me emails each time someone Likes something I posted (which I could probably turn off if I chose).

At the risk of being castigated as a dinosaur, if it's Facebook related, I can see me not liking anything.

I don't need Facebook and I can't see why I should have to get p****d just to post a few obligatory pictures of myself mooning on Ibiza High Street.

I don't think it's Facebook related at the user end, Rob (i.e. you and I) - see my reply to Chris just above.

• Like 1

Right, it should work now (I think)!

Users that also have facebook accounts can now 'like' comments here. I don't know how it works for people that don't have fb. Try it Rob, it may just state that you 'like' it.

There are no doubt other features that I don't know about yet. I tried it by liking this and Rob's comment, above.

• Like 6

Thankfully it states that I have reached my limit of quotes for the day. Phew.

• Like 1

Aha, hang on... the like thing on the posts has nothing to do with fb! It simply shows that you like it. Try it now, limit removed.

• Like 2

I imagine that there will be a few members who will be sorry to have missed those Rob.

Edit: Sorry. I meant " .. will be few members .. " of course.

:P

• Like 1

Trouble is, I'm forever catching the 'like' tick on the 'mobile' version of the forum, when scrolling down the page, being right-handed an' all!

So, I might end up liking all sorts of random posts! I'll do my best, though! :rolleyes:

Edit: TG, does it show on the full forum version that I liked your above post?

Edited by Coinery

I can see you liked it (on full version). And if someone likes one of your posts, a notification appears by your name right at the top.

And, on every page you can see a facebook 'f'/'Like' blue box below.....if you click that one, it'll register on your fb profile that you liked an 'article' and will provide a link to it and give you the opportunity to say something about it.

Edit: TG, does it show on the full forum version that I liked your above post?

Not on mine, no. All I can see is that I can 'un'like Rob's post that I liked earlier.

But then I've been having problems with the new forum. If I click 'quote' it just gives me an empty reply box. To actually quote I have to open 'quote' in a new tab. The URL linking doesn't work for me, instead I get this:

post-129-0-92321400-1391448231_thumb.jpg

and everything locks up. I meant to mention it to Chris earlier but never got round to it! I wondered whether it's because I have Flash and Active X disabled (I'm using IE7).

And it won't let me add an image into a post unless I go to edit mode (the little switch above the B[old] at the top of the reply box) Anyone else??

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

Interestingly, there are similar issues on other forums using the same software! The 'quote' facility can be erratic on the canal forum I use!

Even more interesting is this forum's software works perfectly for me! I reckon it's akin to a PC running beautifully at a million miles' an hour, with nay a hiccup one day, and then behaving like a total beach the next, only to return to sublimity without intervention a day later! I hate 'n' love 'em! :)