British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
RChris

Ebay "white Metal" Penny

Hard to tell much from the photos. If it was an off-metal strike then I'd expect it to be noticed and removed from circulation as a curiosity early in its life. It would therefore be in EF+ condition.

The pictured coin is in circulated condition and therefore most likely plated for fun.

Hard to tell much from the photos. If it was an off-metal strike then I'd expect it to be noticed and removed from circulation as a curiosity early in its life. It would therefore be in EF+ condition.

The pictured coin is in circulated condition and therefore most likely plated for fun.

There's not much wear, to be honest - and the original 'coating' is still visible between the lettering where the wear hasn't reached. But it's hard to say, agreed.

I got a 1974 white metal penny last year thinking it was probably plated. Gave the edge a good scratch and NO copper :D.

post-7160-0-46489300-1391193034_thumb.jp

post-7160-0-37199900-1391193047_thumb.jp

Hmmm, brings to mind the question as to whether the RM ever plated any of the later coins??? Does anybody know the answer? I have a few like the just pictured 1974 coin that are of original off-metal and one or two that look to be chrome or vanadium plated, all of which were gotten in a lot some while ago at extra-cheap price.

It is from Crete so I would expect it to be bronzed. :rolleyes:

I had a genuine cupro-nickel penny dated 1945....I dont think that I ever took a photo of it but I can assure you that it didnt look anything like that...I sold it for £460 several years ago.

Woolley & Wallis sold a 1919KN cupro-nickel penny at auction last year, together with full provenance. It went for something like £7K as I recall. There's a thread somewhere here with all the details.

Woolley & Wallis sold a 1919KN cupro-nickel penny at auction last year, together with full provenance. It went for something like £7K as I recall. There's a thread somewhere here with all the details.

I remember that - ugly thing, as I recall.

Not sure but looking at the reverse edge at 3 o'clock it looks like it might be plated.

I have a number of copper nickel penny and half penny strikes in CuNi and they don't look like this specimen. I am suspicious to say the least and did not bid, even though I like these bits.