British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Wheelbarrow

1908 Florin

Nice coin. Would you substitute the edge knock at 8-9 o-clock for a coin that was slightly less well defined? Also is there a scratch in Eddies neck? I know this may picky buy how much do these factors affect he appeal of these florins?

I cannot afford to strive for perfection in all my coins, for me the overall eye appeal of this coin combined with the price I paid ticks all the boxes, there is always a trade off. As someone recently commented on this Forum (Coinery perhaps?), if one's budget was unlimited how much enjoyment would there be in hunting down examples that 'do it for you', within your budget? (rhetorical!)

The easiest (and in some case cheapest) thing to do for many of my milled silver would be to opt for a FDC proof example of each type (where available), but that would be too boring for me, and I prefer the notion of coins minted for circulation, each to their own! I like a bit of variety when pouring over my collection.

Sound words Paulus. I suppose if every coin we wanted was affordable in high grade we'd all have one. If money were no object for me I'd still go for an E7 florin as IMO they are they best looking british coins and they also say something of the optimism of the age- little did they know what would happen a few years after Edward VII's death - the defiance of Britannia on these florins seems somehow to be apt in a historical context.

Yes I like the E7 Florin and the Britannia on the reverse too.

My example was acquired when I was a kid, is well worn, and the last digit in the date is indistinguishable.

Will have to upgrade soon !! (I've only recently come back to collecting after a long break)

Overall eye appeal is king for me, if attractive toning (which I am a massive fan of) adds to it then that is a bonus, there can also be unattractive toning (let's not go there for now!), lustre, a decent strike, an unclipped round flat flan, and all sorts of other things which contribute to overall eye appeal, which, ultimately, is in the eye of the beholder.

As far as cleaning/polishing/dipping is concerned, if it is obvious then that would normally be a negative for me, and would certainly lower the value of the coin, but wouldn't necessarily put me off hanging on to it or showing it off, a lot would depend on overall eye appeal, and the scarcity and age of the coin. Hammered coins (which are not my focus but I have some nice examples) are a rule unto themselves, each one being unique.

The biggest negatives for me are normally edge knocks, fingerprints, scratches and graffiti.

Welcome to the Forum Wheelbarrow! (interesting name and avatar, what is it?)

As a case in point, here is my 1904:

1904_FL_Sellers_zps166ba4ba.png

It's not the best example or photo out there by a long chalk, and has a faint scratch on the King's neck which detracts a little. But as a type collector I only want one E7 Florin and this ticks the boxes for me in terms of eye appeal, in hand it has delicious faint red and lilac hues, I doubt that I will be upgrading in the foreseeable!

I only have two - a 1902 matte proof (which is very affordable : the last time I looked you could get one FDC for double figures), and the '06 I mentioned earlier. Your '04 has amazingly good hair detail for Ed VII, I'm not surprised you love it so much.

This is my '06 - not a million miles away from your 1908, Wheelbarrow:

post-4737-0-47867000-1391339823_thumb.jp

The buffing is fairly obvious, but I don't know - I like it!

I have found 1908 to be the toughest EVII florin to find in high grade, excepting 1905 of cause. I'm on my second upgrate and mine is still not quite up to your's Wheelbarrow.

Sorry, on vacation for a bit. Yes, I did mean EF45. Gary's comment is well taken, and certainly the case when price is factored in. That is quite a good grade. Also, I quite agree with the above in that disagreeable polished or cleaned surfaces can be readily toned. I have, and confess to, doing it myself. Favourite toning substance? Taco Bell napkins with plenty of sulfur, but not too much...LOL

Lost my I-phone as I have quite nice examples of all the dates with a couple of spares not for sale. I think the 1902 matte can be obtained for a reasonable price and is to my eyes, quite nice in appearance.

I have left this coin for the last year on a shelf and it's now retoning.

I live less than a mile from the sea so I guess the sea air helps.

Still can't be sure whether it's VF or EF.

post-8236-0-11314100-1419349507_thumb.jp

It's difficult to say with that glare-y exposure, but I'd say it was certainly better than VF - it COULD be EF, but we'd need better pictures.

Have you recently posted this coin on Omni-Coin? I just saw it on recent additions, listed as EF. That's where I'd put it, too!

Yes I have just put it up there. I'm still not confident on grading these so I thought I'd mention it on here again so I didn't make a fool of myself!

Yes, I am also clueless about my two! I've put my 1910 on as fine, but cannot decide if that's right! I was just browsing over your collection, and I have to say your 1859 gothic florin looks superb! The reverse - although with some light scratches - does appear very nice for an EF grade!

Nice coins posted on this topic. I've always thought the reverse of Edward florins have the most pleasing florin reverse although the gothic design may give it a run for its money also some Edward florins can be weakly struck on Britannia's breasts. Here id my 1908 that I obtained recently in Melbourne.

post-8305-0-73808100-1419387266_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-40174700-1419387288_thumb.jp

Still like that '08 date. OZ, is that a bit of PVC on the obverse. Your specimen is well struck IMO with a bit of bag handling. I think it too may have been a bit cleaned with some retoning.

The OP coin is on the lower fringe of EF, not what Glendining would have called it "back in the day" however! Still a nice date.