British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

E1 Martlet Shilling Sold!

I've been watching this 151213090124 shilling for around a year! It's the loveliest example I've seen, and I offered £850 for it when it was first listed at £1100.

Around 6 month's later I again privately offered £850, when it was then for sale on eBay at £950, thinking that would be agreeable, given the absence of eBay and PayPal fees? Strangely, this was not agreeable!

Anyway, having watched it endlessly go around on 10-day auctions at £950, it has just received a bidder and sold for £950...I hope I see it again someday! If anyone knows the buyer, I would love a set of good pictures, the seller reported me to eBay for unsolicited emails when I asked if I could use the images for die-study purposes!

Overall, rather gutted about the whole thing!

I've been watching this 151213090124 shilling for around a year! It's the loveliest example I've seen, and I offered £850 for it when it was first listed at £1100.

Around 6 month's later I again privately offered £850, when it was then for sale on eBay at £950, thinking that would be agreeable, given the absence of eBay and PayPal fees? Strangely, this was not agreeable!

Anyway, having watched it endlessly go around on 10-day auctions at £950, it has just received a bidder and sold for £950...I hope I see it again someday! If anyone knows the buyer, I would love a set of good pictures, the seller reported me to eBay for unsolicited emails when I asked if I could use the images for die-study purposes!

Overall, rather gutted about the whole thing!

Who was selling it that was so unco-operative? The BM? :huh: Why do people go out of their way to be unhelpful?

It is certainly a fantastic looking coin. Shame that the seller was difficult.

I have to say, I was really surprised at the response, as the seller seemed to have some interest in history, selling mostly metal detector finds?

I really couldn't understand the reply to my offer, with her saying the coin was worth the full listed amount! Unfortunately, I was already strangled at that point to explain - on account of her having reporting me to the 'bay for requesting permission to use her images - that she'd only get £850 if I'd bought it directly on eBay anyway! Bugger, bugger!

Some times Ebay fees plus paypal goes WHOOOOSE

i prefer to my abroad dealers... :)

Some times Ebay fees plus paypal goes WHOOOOSE

i prefer to my abroad dealers... :)

You're nicely off-the-wall this evening/morning, Peter! Happy daze! :)

There are some weird and horrible people on eBay...

I had a similar experience with this seller. I Offered him a price of £800 outside of eBay a while back and was told he wanted the asking price and they wouldn't consider offers on it.

I'll dig out the emails, I don't think my communications were in the least bit offensive!

It bugs me now, especially as I could've copied the images straight from eBay and said nothing (not that they would've been quite as useful that way)! I was only asking for her blessing on it! God, damn, and nabbitt!

Unfortunately Stuart, ebay has many weird and wonderful characters, some of which i think have been on some of Peters puff. I had one last night make an offer on a coin, i Duly accepted then he made another offer on another coin which i Duly countered. He then emails to say that his first offer was based on the proviso that i also accept his Second which was £150 less than what it's listed at.

He seemed to Take offence at my Counter offer and said "it was his last offer and hope we could see a way forward" which i Duly turned down. I wish i could buy coins at what these ebayers want to buy them for.......

P.s, it was'nt me who bought it even though i had mentioned it too you, i'm still holding fire for something, dunno what though right now, but i'm not rushing.

Detatchment from realism isn't restricted to coins. I had a guy want to buy a refurbished item at less than the cost of the overhaul kit which I had spent money on. I was expected to pay him to take away the item on offer at a quarter of the price I wanted. This is a problem started by and particular to ebay. As long as it is possible on occasion to buy a £100 item for 99p, many take this to be the going rate.

Yes and this particular fool now wants me to cancel the coin in which he made his initial offer on which i accepted. I told him i was'nt going to do his legwork and that he should cancel if he wished. I'll give him his 4 days then start the dispute so he can get a non payment strike against his name :)

A small pleasure i shall have from this fools time wasting

Would you want to sell him the first coin now ?

Do you have a choice if he pays ?

I'd be worried about it going 'missing' in the mail or some other misadventure....

I'd be worried about it going 'missing' in the mail or some other misadventure....

No, i don't want too sell it now nor does he want to buy it, he just thought that if he bought 2 coins he'd get a £200 rebate. Some ebayers just think they can buy coins at 95% off the asking price. I had one in 2012 send a £30 offer on an 1850 shilling that was priced at £2000

No, i don't want too sell it now nor does he want to buy it, he just thought that if he bought 2 coins he'd get a £200 rebate. Some ebayers just think they can buy coins at 95% off the asking price. I had one in 2012 send a £30 offer on an 1850 shilling that was priced at £2000

You can usually get maybe 10-15%.If too expensive I would walk away.

When I made an offer on the 1948 threepence, it was accepted so quick that I realised I should have offered lower than the 10% reduction I had offered. Having said that, I wasn't ripped off in the slightest - lovely coin.

When I made an offer on the 1948 threepence, it was accepted so quick that I realised I should have offered lower than the 10% reduction I had offered. Having said that, I wasn't ripped off in the slightest - lovely coin.

The reason you got an immediate reply was because your offer was within the threshold set by the seller, so ebay sent an auto accept.

The reason you got an immediate reply was because your offer was within the threshold set by the seller, so ebay sent an auto accept.

Oh right - I hadn't realised that's how it worked.