British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Finally decided to buy some Verdi-Care

Here's first go - just the wiping technique, on some low value copper

verdicare4.jpg

Top coins are before treatment but post acetone bath

Soaking experiments to follow

and two more :-

verdicare5.jpg

This is more like it, David, some before and after experimentals live on PD! I so wish I'd taken this approach myself when I spent weeks messing around with various coiney things!

Looking forward to the next instalments, perhaps, in stages, until the point were the process undoes the aesthetics of the coin?? Sacrifice, you know you want to! :)

Stuart it is good.One sniff and I'm away.Considering what I spend on coins Verdicare and acetone is a deffo.

It will be the price of a decent malt.

Also Pecks silver dip with a cotton bud. :rolleyes:

Far right on the first group seems to have made quite an improvement to the legend :)

Cotton buds, dip, and acetone...very much with you on that, Peter! Definitely interested in seeing the outcomes of verdicare!

Can it be applied locally, and does it affect the surrounding sound metal if you do?

Okay, I'm getting braver

this a scarce but sadly holed penny - Gouby 1860 Jd - triple entered F plus other recutting errors

an ugly specimen still - but the green gunge has gone :)

verdicare6.jpg[/

URL]

the coin is a lot better in hand with lustre - scanning fails in this case

Edited by davidrj

I have a bloody great feral cat on my lap.You have to love em.He will swipe me soon.Fillet steak for dinner :)

Okay, I'm getting braver

this a scarce but sadly holed penny - Gouby 1860 Jd - triple entered F plus other recutting errors

an ugly specimen still - but the green gunge has gone :)

verdicare6.jpg[/

URL]

the coin is a lot better in hand with lustre - scanning fails in this case

Do you think it had any subtle affects on the tone or general appearance of the coin, or has it literally just targeted the verd?

Always a shame to see such examples holed :(

I'm struggling to tell whether the Verdi-Care has done anything more than darken the green deposits on the obverse to black. Certainly it's darkened patches on the reverse, particularly around the trident.

It reminds me slightly of the old Trustan 2000 (?) liquid used to treat rust on cars. As far as I could tell it just turned the top layer of rust black, but possibly it did stop it getting any worse. Scraping away the top surface just revealed the rust to still be there underneath the coating!

I have a couple of coins which are in EF condition but so stained and patchy their eye appeal is zero. I've often wondered about taking them back to raw metal and letting them re-tone naturally over years.

Always a shame to see such examples holed :(

I'm struggling to tell whether the Verdi-Care has done anything more than darken the green deposits on the obverse to black. Certainly it's darkened patches on the reverse, particularly around the trident.

Difficult to say, top picture was an archive scan, second was done last night - might be purely scanning/photohop differences - but there are still remnants of blach gunge around the lettering - nervous of going down the rose thorn route

The dark field stains always there ??ink, as I said coin is much better in hand, must learn how to image shiny coins

The jury may be out on using for high quality stuff, but definitely worth it for reappraising the stuff in your junk box:-

Portuguese Ceitil from the 1500s

ceitil.jpg

Edited by davidrj

Rightio

As soon as we work all this out I'm buying this one....

post-8124-0-03463300-1390683772_thumb.jp

Rightio

It looks like a fair amount of wear present, despite the apparently lustrous state. In fact, possibly too much lustre for that much wear. Any chance of seeing in the hand to check?

Rightio

It looks like a fair amount of wear present, despite the apparently lustrous state. In fact, possibly too much lustre for that much wear. Any chance of seeing in the hand to check?

Interesting. I only see what I'd call 'cabinet friction', on the hair, left tit, thigh, and bottom of shield. Don't see any real flattening anywhere?

I would say there is more wear on the 1731 than on this 1734/3 and this is no way a full EF.

img501_zps05a9aa3a.jpg

Edited by Rob

She has had her tits rubbed more than my 1st experience.Run boy run.

Edited by Peter

Rightio

Hi Rob

It's here http://www.colonialcollectables.com/uk-coins/1733-1731-halfpenny-.html

The vendor describes it as gVF. You can have a closer look for a little over 50 quid + any UK import charges.

I'm not really buying it, I was just joking around :). I will hold out and get a problem free one some day.

Do you suspect it's had a bit of a clean at some stage ?

cheers Garrett.

cheers

Garrett.

Rightio

Hi Rob

It's here http://www.colonialcollectables.com/uk-coins/1733-1731-halfpenny-.html

The vendor describes it as gVF. You can have a closer look for a little over 50 quid + any UK import charges.

I'm not really buying it, I was just joking around :). I will hold out and get a problem free one some day.

Do you suspect it's had a bit of a clean at some stage ?

cheers Garrett.

cheers

Garrett.

To be honest I can't see any clear evidence of wear, apart from an attempt to remove the blackening on Britannia's thruppenny, which is probably more rubbing than anything. The wreath and shield don't appear to be the best strikes I've ever seen, but on the other hand there's no real wear at all on the obverse. I can't see evidence of cleaning and the lustre looks perfectly real.

The thing that would stop me is that blackening on the reverse. It spoils what would otherwise be a superb coin, even allowing for the lack of sharpness on the strike in places.

I think the red bits to the left of and above the shield might be pitting from corrosion. Otherwise it would be a no brainer at that price with a bit of crud removal. The lustre looks ok. 1731 is not a common date. Can't disagree with gVF, and without the crud would be a decent coin with the caveat about the possible pitting.

Reading some posts on this forum while chewing on your dinner can prove to be a choking hazard

Reading some posts on this forum while chewing on your dinner can prove to be a choking hazard

:lol:

You can always rely on Peter for a bit of off-topic entertainment! I think he should be a panellist on that brand new TV series 'Shock Factor'! :D

You can always rely on Peter for a bit of off-topic entertainment! I think he should be a panellist on that brand new TV series 'Shock Factor'! :D

The real scary thing is that through Peter's eyes, it's not off-topic at all... :o

The real scary thing is that through Peter's eyes, it's not off-topic at all... :o

I'm a snickers man (marathon)

Mrs Peter enjoys a nut in every bite :o