British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Exbrit

Tgp - Good And The Bad

On balance, I'm happy to take the restoration, but I appreciate that others might not go there.

We all know coins have been cleaned in the past. Some tooled to bring out detail. Holes plugged. It happened 100 years ago and it happens today. And with coins to which these things were done 50, 100 years ago, it's part of their numismatic history. Whether we like it and can live with it is, I think, a personal decision. As is whether to 'undo' the damage.

My point was that charging to remove a bit of red wax that would probably flick off with a paintbrush and to then use that as an example of a supposedly desirable service shows a complete lack of understanding of an important (to me at least) area of numismatics (ie; provenance).

It shows a different mindset. One that I'd prefer not to become all prevalent. Though I may be too late in that respect!

Edited by TomGoodheart

There is a bigger issue here concerning the destruction of historical evidence and the heritage of the coin in question.

I just fired off an email to PCGS about it after running it past the diplomacy checker. ;) God knows if they will pay any intention, but it might just possibly make someone think about the problem.

Contents as follows:

Dear Sirs,

I have just noticed that the ‘environmental damage’ restoration service you offer on your European site has an issue.

The image you show where you have removed wax adhering to the coin has the effect of immediately removing an identifiable link of the coin to a past sale.

• The wax is from a cast taken to illustrate the coin in the first half of the last century or possibly even earlier.
  • Sometimes that wax can be identified from the images in the catalogue and so a provenance established for the coin.
  • That provenance could potentially greatly enhance the value of the coin in question as it may well provide links going back to the 19th or even the 18th century depending on the previous owner(s).
  • The presence of wax is the only indicator with the coin in hand that it was illustrated in the past and so enhances the chances of finding it in a past catalogue.
  • The continued presence of wax is important as one of the main pieces of evidence we have regarding a coin’s past and by extension its authenticity.
  • Retaining wax will show the expertise of PCGS in assigning the correct provenance where possible and further shows that PCGS appreciates its significance.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

Rob Pearce

• Like 1

Herein lies the problem Rob. the coin does'nt belong to PCGS and instead some idiot buyer who does'nt have a damn clue .

Or scenario. Number 2 that the coin was only used as an example and the wax was actually photoshopped out. I hope it was the latter

If it is possible to make them think twice then anything to reduce the collateral damage is good.

If PCGS can tell the owner it is not very sensible it would also help. There is a difference between removing finger grease and destroying historical evidence.

Edited by Rob

On balance, I'm happy to take the restoration, but I appreciate that others might not go there.

We all know coins have been cleaned in the past. Some tooled to bring out detail. Holes plugged. It happened 100 years ago and it happens today. And with coins to which these things were done 50, 100 years ago, it's part of their numismatic history. Whether we like it and can live with it is, I think, a personal decision. As is whether to 'undo' the damage.

My point was that charging to remove a bit of red wax that would probably flick off with a paintbrush and to then use that as an example of a supposedly desirable service shows a complete lack of understanding of an important (to me at least) area of numismatics (ie; provenance).

It shows a different mindset. One that I'd prefer not to become all prevalent. Though I may be too late in that respect!

I see the point you're making, but that's not a good example - if it comes off that easily, then it isn't really useful as provenance, and it would purely be a matter of luck whether it survived or not.

- if it comes off that easily, then it isn't really useful as provenance,

Yeah, OK I admit I may have overdone minimising the inconvenience for the sake of making a point.

A toothpick then!

:P

The bits that stick are very resilient in my opinion. Having solidified on the rough surface they are quite stable. Yes you can remove them with a toothpick, but that's only because the wax is relatively soft. Most coins have survived a good few owners handling them. I have never seen a coin with wax which subsequently falls off.

I'd be interested to hear if you get a response from PCGS Rob