British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Exbrit

Tgp - Good And The Bad

Ha ha classic Peck !

So now NGC have decided to expand their Star grading to World coins: http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3798&Star-designationShame they chose some shit ugly coins to advertise the fact then, no?

I am kind of fond of the 1893 Sovereign. Not crazy about the others, thou

I know that a star doesn't say "This coin is amazing. You MUST like this coin" It's no different from the grade on the slab. I can take it or, if I disagree, I can ignore it.

It's just it still feels as if NGC are trying to impose their aesthetic opinions on everyone.

I guess I shouldn't let such things irritate me. But they do!

Oh, yeah, oh, yeah, I'm gone...oh, yeah, I'm gone!

"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine...we all live..." Whoohooo! :D

I still need to be convinced about slabbing but I have managed to obtain some on the way. Possibly it's the way ahead as internet auction companies such as ebay do not recognize any coins other than professionaly graded coins although they do not seem to apply this at present. I think internet auctions are a powerful force in the coin market and will only grow in influence in future. I already think online auctions have already changed the dymanics of the coin market putting collectors into a more powerful position then they previously held. For example before the event of online auctions the price realized at auction houses was about half the retail price from a dealer this has now changed with sellers getting prices much closer to the retail price by using online auctions. I realize this is a generalization but I think there is a lot of truth in this.

Attached are scans coins from 3 grading companies of fairly close grading of the same type of coin and I think the grading results for these examples is close to the mark. Of interest the National Numismatic Certification certified coin (img 178) seems to be well graded despite some posts on these forums which do not rate this company. However recently listed on ebay are some NNC graded coins which are very poorly graded for example an Edward VII halfcrown graded at VF-40 which I do not think would even make the grade of Fine.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

post-8305-0-12096100-1400715682_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-35637700-1400715751_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-19748500-1400715913_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-80053800-1400715939_thumb.jp

NNC is a self slabber (Centsles). :ph34r:

As Peter says NNC is ebayer centiles who pricks up plastic slabs by the hundreds and throws a coin in and pflückst a grade from thin air

• Like 1

London Coins and CGS seem to share the same address. I guess they could be accused of being self slabbers.

As Peter says NNC is ebayer centiles who pricks up plastic slabs by the hundreds and throws a coin in and pflückst a grade from thin air

Everything sounds so much better in German.

• Like 1

Especially when you're insulting someone :D haha

I still need to be convinced about slabbing but I have managed to obtain some on the way. Possibly it's the way ahead as internet auction companies such as ebay do not recognize any coins other than professionaly graded coins although they do not seem to apply this at present. I think internet auctions are a powerful force in the coin market and will only grow in influence in future. I already think online auctions have already changed the dymanics of the coin market putting collectors into a more powerful position then they previously held. For example before the event of online auctions the price realized at auction houses was about half the retail price from a dealer this has now changed with sellers getting prices much closer to the retail price by using online auctions. I realize this is a generalization but I think there is a lot of truth in this.

Attached are scans coins from 3 grading companies of fairly close grading of the same type of coin and I think the grading results for these examples is close to the mark. Of interest the National Numismatic Certification certified coin (img 178) seems to be well graded despite some posts on these forums which do not rate this company. However recently listed on ebay are some NNC graded coins which are very poorly graded for example an Edward VII halfcrown graded at VF-40 which I do not think would even make the grade of Fine.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

The growth of slabs does not sit well with mahogany cabinet owners, and I for one will not contemplate the demise of them at the expense of some pathetic plastic tomb. I hope your prediction never comes about, but if it does, we need a grading service that does NOT involve slabbing.

By the way - that 1912 halfcrown has been cleaned, but you wouldn't think so from the slab description.

London Coins and CGS seem to share the same address. I guess they could be accused of being self slabbers.

They ARE the same people.

One day i'm going to Throw this ipad as far as i can, but in this instance the whole sentence and pronounciation seems appropriate :D

I hope your prediction never comes about, but if it does, we need a grading service that does NOT involve slabbing.

But do we? Even eBay (and I believe the current policy, which apples only to the US eBay.com site, is that you can only quote a grade for a coin you wish to sell if it is backed up by a recognised TPGS) surely can't fail to recognise that people will continue to want to sell 'raw' coins for the indefinite future.

Many coins simply don't justify the cost of slabbing/grading, many people have no experience of such things and simply want to sell off coins they have been given, inherited or found without any further hassle. And outside the US and possibly Canada and Australia, there's little desire for grading services as far as I can see.

I'd say what we need is to encourage the idea of people learning to assess coins themselves! A novel idea I admit and perhaps a bit off the wall, but ..

And for why? Because, even on CoinCommunity, a largely US based and geared forum and in a market which has increasingly accepted the practice of Third Part grading since the 1970s, there are constant "1883 Morgan. You vs NGC" "What would this grade" and "Mistakes in labelling by TPG" type threads.

Surely after all these years TPGS have had ample time to establish a reputation for consistency and providing buyers with the confidence they want to make a purchase? But the frequent questioning and squabbling about the grades coins receive suggests otherwise. Do we need even more of it? I'd suggest not.

Oops. Nearly forgot:

post-129-0-49741200-1400756202.gif

Edited by TomGoodheart

No, I agree with you Richard. All I was saying is that IF there have to be TPG companies (for whatever reason), there should be a 'no slab' version. But as you say, better still that people learn to grade properly.

I did chuckle at this one Dave

No, I agree with you Richard. All I was saying is that IF there have to be TPG companies (for whatever reason), there should be a 'no slab' version. But as you say, better still that people learn to grade properly.

I'm learning :)

oh my goodness why would you slab the second and third coin here.....

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=231422&lotNo=64135&type=wlem&wlc=326676444

Because sometimes you need the security of knowing that it is genuine(ly) shi*e.

I often despair at the worries shown US forums where the main concern appears to be that it is genuine. That the flat disc in their hand has no numismatic value is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

oh my goodness why would you slab the second and third coin here.....

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=231422&lotNo=64135&type=wlem&wlc=326676444

Blimey. I'm looking for a really top class 1806 (surprisingly difficult), but even my existing one is WAY better than that sub-average example. Totally baffling why anyone would incur the expense of slabbing that - as Rob eloquently puts it - sh*te.

Americans seem to slab everything. Perhaps it's much cheaper in the US than here?

Americans seem to slab everything. Perhaps it's much cheaper in the US than here?

Must be. CGS used to charge £12 per coin, but now it's ... what? 2 or 3 times the value of that 1806 anyway.

Must be. CGS used to charge £12 per coin, but now it's ... what? 2 or 3 times the value of that 1806 anyway.

The cheapest CGS fee is currently £13.75 per coin

:(ANACS (which people on CoinCommunity mention as a 'good deal') is $19 each for a 5 (minimum) coin package (non-US, pre-1950).

Plus postage and insurance (about $50 International) making it around £17 per coin. That drops to about £14 if you were in the US so really not much difference.

I can imagine those costs soon adding up to the price of a really nice coin. Or a year's purchases for Scott!

Maybe it's just what you're used to.

As an aside someone posted on CoinCommunity about sending $1300 worth of coins from the UK to PCGS including two UNC 1902 Crowns. Envelope arrived at PCGS empty of coins .. I didn't have the heart to ask, "but why did you want to slab them in the first place?"

:(

I hope he has insurance. Did he send to the USA or Paris?