British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Exbrit

Sovereign Collectors - 1880/70

Does anyone know if there are 1880/70 (second eight punched over seven) sovereigns for the Sydney and Melbourne mints?

Also - how far along are you in your sovereign collections? Any date and mint mark collectors out there?

No idea, but suspect not given it is normally a London die and not an Australian one. We are talking about the conversion of unused dies dated 187, with the last digit to be entered as required. The problem was the end of the decade requiring a change in the third digit.

Even if the same situation existed in another mint, you are reliant on the workmanship being sufficiently poor to see the remains of the previous number. Your best bet is to get a reasonable number of 1880 S & M sovereigns and put them under an EM. That would expose the filled underlying third digit

Edited by Rob

Is there anything to suggest more than one 1880/70 die was used for the London coins?

It's possible that it happened in Melbourne or Sydney as I think they both relied on London sending the fully dated dies in a timely manner, something which didn't always happen. I believe there a few earlier Australian overdate sovereigns though I'm not sure whether they came about due to the late arrival of new dies or for some other reason.

Does anyone know if there are 1880/70 (second eight punched over seven) sovereigns for the Sydney and Melbourne mints?

Also - how far along are you in your sovereign collections? Any date and mint mark collectors out there?

I have a few sovereigns but not really a collection. My most interesting is S.3866A, which Spink until recently described as 'extremely rare'. I notice that the 2014 catalogue now gives prices for this coin which don't really support the 'extremely' description!

Edited by Accumulator

I only have the Spinks 2013 catalog - what is the new 2014 price for the S.3886A? I do not have that variety - just the 3886.

Also - someone mentioned above about over dates and delays in shipping dies. I believe the 1872/1 over date occurred in Australian soveriegns because of a shipping delay of the dies from London. If I remember correctly the ship with the dies sank.

I only have the Spinks 2013 catalog - what is the new 2014 price for the S.3886A? I do not have that variety - just the 3886.

Also - someone mentioned above about over dates and delays in shipping dies. I believe the 1872/1 over date occurred in Australian soveriegns because of a shipping delay of the dies from London. If I remember correctly the ship with the dies sank.

The S3866A is £350 in F, £750 in VF, £1100 in EF. No price given for UNC

That looks to be the same as the 2013 Spinks price.

That looks to be the same as the 2013 SPINKS price. Bentley collection in EF is extremely rare. I haven't looked to see if Marsh has it listed. Nice coin. I collect the series, all mints and varieties. Wish I had one of those.

I have a few sovereigns but not really a collection. My most interesting is S.3866A, which Spink until recently described as 'extremely rare'. I notice that the 2014 catalogue now gives prices for this coin which don't really support the 'extremely' description!

The Spink price of 1,100 in EF is what the Bentley Collection S.3886A sold for and is about twice the amount of the S.3886 in the same grade. For an R2 coin that seems about right to me. What was the earlier price note in Spink?

The Spink price of 1,100 in EF is what the Bentley Collection S.3886A sold for and is about twice the amount of the S.3886 in the same grade. For an R2 coin that seems about right to me. What was the earlier price note in Spink?

What is an R2 coin? Are any of these accurate once you leave the comfort of a mint report?

You did well with the pic. I'll try and take a good one of mine. Thanks for sharing.

That looks to be the same as the 2013 SPINKS price. Bentley collection in EF is extremely rare. I haven't looked to see if Marsh has it listed. Nice coin. I collect the series, all mints and varieties. Wish I had one of those.

As I don't really collect sovereigns, I'd consider a trade for an interesting penny! :)

As I don't really collect sovereigns, I'd consider a trade for an interesting penny! :)

Would it come with the curly hair? :D

I'll have to scout for an interesting penny - as I do not believe I have one at the moment. Edited by Exbrit